1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics bit-tech advice: 7900gs good or bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Warrior_Rocker, 14 Jan 2007.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

After 4 years I have decided my measly Radeon 9600se can no longer deliver what I am looking for as to gaming. But before you flame my poor little card I will have everyone know that since I added a new cooler and fan regulation circuitry. And Overclocked it, it ran every game up to ut2004 just fine.

But I have finally acquired a PCI-Express based platform and need a video card for it. I have been looking at what both ATI and Nvidia have to offer in my price range which is ~150 USD. I am now considering purchasing a XFX 7900gs whose specs are:

Memory: 256MB of GDDR3, 256bit @ 1320MHz
    GPU: 450MHz

This card has Dual DVI which is something I need due to having two flat panels. I also care not for dx10 functionality because well... it just isnt all that important.

What im wondering is does anyone have experience with this card and could tell me whether or not its a stinker? From what I have heard and read the card overclocks well.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Works for me. I have the el-cheapo model which is basically the same thing. Iirc the Leadtek one Tim reviewed a while back was a 7900GS and that was absolutely silent.

3. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I have my 7900GS going way above stock speeds on stock cooling now, I have the EVGA KO one. The XFX is supposed to be able to clock even higher then this one. It can run most games on high at 1280x1024(mine is CPU limited a bit), so its a great card for gaming.

4. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

The 7900GS is a great card. It was a close thing between one and the X1950pro that i decided on. A mate of mine has a Leadtek 7900GS and has had great overclocking results on the stock cooler. Unlike my card which refuses point blank to overclock atall:(

I had a XFX 6800GT before this and it clocked well so i don't see why the 7900GS won't overclock extremely well.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

my new little 7600GT ($65 MIR :D) works great for gaming at 12x10 with quite high settings, so a 7900GS should like stepping into a whole new world.

6. BFGunrunner

BFGunrunner What's a Dremel?

Yeah get the 7900GS Its such a sweet mid range card.

7. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

It clocks ridiculously well, bit-tech did a review of them a while back and I looked through the archive, and most models did great at overclocking. My core overclock was not as good as what bit-tech's identical one did, but my memory was much better. It seems like no matter which version or luck you have you can overclock like crazy.

8. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Here is the one I ended up buying: > Newegg Link <

It certainly was not the best one on the list, but certainly the cheapest. The card is retailing for 184.99, but the best quality is that it comes with a 40$ mail in rebate. Making this in my opinion a heck of a value.

Oddly enough I was following one of these going on ebay and had hoped it may even go for cheaper, but it went for 152$ > Ebay Link <

I really hope I have made the right choice. I have always been an ATI person but am willing to give this card a fair run through its paces.

9. matt.slysnake

matt.slysnake Banned

ive read reviews and I've heard good stuff about it, and I'm thinking about getting one soon :D

Tags: