1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Bit-tech August build Guide Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madawcisrich, 15 Dec 2012.

1. madawcisrich

madawcisrich New Member

Hello everyone.

I am a new pc builder. I encountered some problems last night when I tried to assemble the PC.

I bought following materials:

Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi
    CPU: i5 3570K
    MB: Asus Maximus V gene
    Memeory: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600Mhz
    SSD: Crucial M4 120G
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 2To
    CPU cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
    PSU: Corsair GS600

GPU: none at the moment

So everything was installed. I took a bit long time because of the CPU Fan, really hard to install for the first time. Everything else was quiet easy.

When everything was set up, I booted the PC. I noticed 2 big problems:

1.It has last for 3 secs then turned off. A little moment after that, it turned on itself during 3 sec, then turned off again. And it just repeated this processus infinitely.

2.Another problem, two of the three connectors of chasis fan on MB just don't work. Because I tried to switch the three fans on chasis fan connector 1, and all three worked fine. But none of the three worked on connector 2 or 3.

So I removed the HyperX ram and replaced them with 1 Corsair basic Ram. I removed SSD HDD CD Reader. I checked again, the problem persist.

So I checked this problem on some forums. There is a lot of possibility according to the forum members.
    1. MotherBoard is partially dammaged during installation. I may dammage some pin behind or in front of the MB.(Probably True) or I put too much thermal heat sink on the CPU.

2. The PSU is not enough to provide power for the entire PC.(I don't really think so)

3. Screws and standoffs are not correctly fixed on the motherboard or some standoff are totally missing. True, I followed the Bit Tech August build Guide 2012 article and chose Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower and Asus Maximus V gene MB, and on the MB, we have 8 socket for standoffs,
    [​IMG]

but on the tower, we only have 7 sockets for clues.
    [​IMG]

I have already asked for a RMA for this MB, because anyway, i think i was not gentle and careful to install the MB and maybe I really dammaged some components on the MB.

I received a new one today, this one really doesn't seem to be a brand new one. The CPU protection armor is just out of position when I unboxed. Also there is some scratch on the Sound Card. I really don't feel that this one is new. I just don't feel to install some refurbished MB in my tower even it will work.
    [​IMG]

I am totally lost, I don't know what to do, and I don't know what was exactly the problems. :eyebrow:Please help me. I am sorry for my bad english but it is really something urgent. I need to finish assembling this PC to offer it to my brother as a Chrismas Gift. Thank you in advance. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2012
  2. T2I3M

T2I3M Member

Have you tested the kit out of the case? The mobo may be shorting on the case somewhere?

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Well-Known Member

Well the PSU is more than enough power unless it's damaged.

Check the front header connection perhaps? Anyway I'd reinstall the whole thing onto the replacement motherboard outside the case just to see if that's the problem.

BTW what are clues?

4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Screws maybe?

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Connecting the front case connections can be a pain in the butt even to experienced PC builders but do Asus boards not come with Q connectors? These things http://www.bios-service-center.com/product_info.php?products_id=3911 which can make life a little easier. And as for the powering on and off I had a similar problem and it was because the RAM was not seated correctly.

6. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

Clues = standoffs maybe?

madawcisrich perhaps you might want to post some close-up pics of your installation so the guys can see how you've installed everything and can eliminate some possible problems.

As to the psu, for the hardware config you've listed as the guys say it's more than adequate assuming it's functioning correctly.

7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Good suggestion.

8. Booti

Booti Member

Are you having the same problem with the replacement motherboard?
    you have no indicated if you have fitted and test it yet.

Silly question, did you have the extra 8pin power lead fitted to the first motherboard (as well as the 24 pin power connector) when you where having the issues?

we assume from clues you mean screws. i therefore assume you mean 1 of the motherboard screws was not installed as the standoff behind wasnt fitted to the case. You should have got spares in the case box so that you can make sure they are all in the right place.
    You need to make sure that none of the standoffs are where they shouldn't be, as this will damage the back of the motherboard and cause a short.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2012
  9. madawcisrich

madawcisrich New Member

sorry for my bad english skill, i am french and french are bad in English, everyone knows that.

Yes clue(screws in French) = screws.

I don't test the dammaged one yet. I don't test the new received one yet, because I notice the scratch on the sound card and I don't know how to recognize a brand new MB and a refurbished one. So I don't want to test something which is not brand new.

I will test the kit out of the case and I will post the conclusion.

10. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

So why not post pics of the sound card and mobo as is so a more experienced eye here can give it a once over?

11. Booti

Booti Member

I don't know what you are highlighting in the first picture, but that is not a motherboard mounting hole.
    Again I don't know what you are highlighting in the second picture as there is nothing there. Those standoffs are in the correct position for the motherboard you have, so you should be able to mount it without issue.
    The 'scratch' on the sound card will be nothing to worry about. What you have highlighted is just a stick on cover for the actual sound chip underneath. This is just cosmetic damage.

12. hamza_tm

I believe the hole highlighted in the first picture is what he thought was a mounting hole, and the second picture shows where (if it actually was a mounting hole) there should be a standoff.

So no need to worry about that madawcisrich because as booti said that highlighted hole is not a mounting hole at all.

13. hamza_tm

Edit: terribly sorry, DP

I blame it on Opera Mobile...

14. Booti

Booti Member

If that's the situation, then he would appear to be trying to mount the mobo 90degrees out, with the IO panel facing upwards.
    The first picture highlights a hole behind the keyboard connector, the second highlights the mobo tray behind the DVD mount.

15. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

This. Check this. I've done this a couple of times and it gives the exact issue you're seeing.

Tags: