1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-Tech Brexit Poll

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Pookie, 8 Jun 2016.

?

Should we be EU members?

1. In

74 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Out

75 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Shake it all about

15 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm not too sure. The British electorate turns out to be extremely malleable. There has been talk about delaying Article 50 until next year and absolutely nobody has picked up on it. Daniel Hannah has said that Brexit will not lower immigration and that Vote Leave never promised it would. Nobody seems to have noticed that either.

I mean, these are fairly central to what people understand a Brexit to be about, right? But nobody has mentioned it.

Fact is people don't know what they voted for. I listened to interviews-in-the-street with Leavers on Radio 4. They are all still quite delighted --and when each and every one is asked what they hope will happen with Britain now, there is a stunned silence, like they never even thought about it, and some vague: "Well... to be more British. To be an island again".

So really? The government has a blank slate to draw on whatever vision they have of the UK that can be loosely interpreted as "not in the EU".

Last edited: 26 Jun 2016
  2. rollo

rollo Modder

Id try to ignore the papers, They all took sides and are now arguing there sides, The guardian was Pro Remain, The Sun Pro leave.

So they try to blackmail them again? Sounds fun. What they going to do when it comes to EU membership blackmail all 27 member states.

Scotland voted to stay with us in there first vote, Now the EU vote went agaist them they gone a bit hissy.

They will need a bigger stick.

Would England Wales and Northern Ireland vote to keep them? Most people I speak to would of Voted them out of the United Kingdom if they were given the choice.

3. Nexxo

Perhaps Hollyrood is just exercising its democratic right. If this is a United Kingdom in which all member states get an equal say, then Scotland and Northern Ireland indeed get a say over whether or not the whole of the UK Brexits or not.

Can't accuse the EU of being an autocratic regime and then act the same. Democracy, eh? It's a bitch.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Democracy is fun to watch, Its who lies best wins and thats a reality.

With the amount of agro a leave vote has caused if they re did the vote id Vote Leave just for the kicks of watching it all play out. ( did vote stay)

Everyone outside of those that Voted Leave seems super angry even those not in this country lol.

Scotland Voted to remain with us like I said, They are now throwing there toys out of there pram just because something went agaist them lol.

It really has been a fun few days watching people argue both sides.

Give it a few weeks and a more balanced view will of been formed. Or the press would of killed the world Economy one or the other.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

1.66 million voted REMAIN in Scotland , whilst 1.02 million voted to LEAVE

should those 1million Scottish leavers be ignored??

6. Nexxo

Should more than 16 million Remainers in the UK be ignored?

Same difference.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

far from it - but the bottom line is , as the united kingdom , more want to leave than stay

ofc , the establishment wasn`t expecting the result and is now in stupor. could it lawful rebellion ;)

8. Nexxo

A rebellion without a plan.

Curious how you find that funny. I think that you really don't understand the gravity of this situation at all. If the new PM plus government cannot come up with a feasible Brexit plan, and it increasingly looks like it can't, then Brexit is off. The Uk has to make a humiliating climb-down, and the EU is strengthened in its power. Well done Vote Leave.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

no its not funny - and the UK government needs to understand what ahs been said to them , but listening to the talking heads today , only a few have an idea.

unless your Scottish then its FREEDOM

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-austria-fpo-idUSKCN0ZA22M

the first call for junckers to go

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Freedom to mislead the country on issues fundamental to the matter being decided.

Sounds great.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

a bit like Cameron saying WW3 would happen if we left the EU....

12. Nexxo

Gosh, what a rational argument. You got me there. Vote Leave has no exit plan while the country's economic stability and future are at stake. But Cameron said something stupid once too, so it'll all be OK, really.

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

If you think that's the same as lying about the key arguments of your cause then I can't help you.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

or how about instead of making judgemental arguments after 72 hours , we wait until next week and parliament is back in to see what happens.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

No offence to anyone but get with the program. Telling lies is part of Polictics the main part actually. You think anyone who told nothing but the truth would get a single vote.

People want to have hope wether it's true or not.

Want to tell truth all the time join the Church. Reality is very different.

I know all kids are told you should not lie ect. The reality of the world is very different.

16. Nexxo

Wellll... In that case shall we just knock the whole Brexit thing on the head? Admit that it really was just an opinion poll based around some wishful thinking and "what if" fantasy? Just kidding, guys, you know what politicians are like... :D

17. Nexxo

Well, given that the majority of parliament is Remain, there will be a lot of shouting and recrimination that Leave has no ****ing plan and look what fine mess you got us into.

[​IMG]

Expect that to last a week.

Then there will be a lot of: "Look, let's work together and move forward" vs a lot of "Oh no, it's your mess, you come up with a plan" argument. Whoever steps forward as a candidate for PM will have to do so on a platform of a credible Brexit plan, or alternatively have the balls to call it a day. And since this time they will be accountable and have to satisfy a Remain majority parliament, there will be a lot more modest promises being made. I think this process will be the real referendum debate.

The position viz a viz the EU will be that the referendum is not legally binding and therefore never an instruction, but an invitation to a public political debate about the possibility of a Brexit all along.

I also suspect that BoJo suddenly won't want the job anymore and put up a lacklustre bid for leadership. Theresa May will probably get elected because she has majority support from Remain, is acceptable to Leave because of her referendum campaign neutrality and is hoped to create comforting subliminal associations with the good, safe old days of Maggie Thatcher. She'd have known what to do (and say what you want about her, she'd never have let this cluster**** develop in the first place). There will be a lot of "studying all the options" as Article 50 quietly slides into next year... she may even be the sacrificial interim PM that makes the unpopular decision to call Brexit a day until the next election to get some market stability back.

Farage will push for invocation of Article 50 but since he won't have a workable plan either, he will be painted as an irresponsible madman.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2016
  18. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Oh corky, when are you going to learn that polls and politicians never get much right and always lie as much to boot. Has the last 48 hours taught you anything. Get a grip.
    Suck up the reality, before it criples your persona chap.
    Not even half the UK buys the line, Accept it.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

BJ and Gove looked like either they were going to cry or as rabbits caught in the headlights.

our awesome chancellor has gone awol , but apparently will show up tomorrow - and BJ is launching a leadership bid , with a remain team.

if they ignore the referendum, junckers laughs at us , the rest of the world laughs at us and a lot of MP`s will be out of jobs.

I can see salmond going for broke tomorrow and trying for a GE which I think he`ll get.

my question is though - Nexxo , do you actually understand the WHY to this? taking on board there isn't 17 million racists - why did so many vote the way they did? and will Westminster take on board what has been shouted at them?

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I think I can answer that.

The reason so many voted leave is because they were led down the garden path by the knee jerk reactionist rabble rousers that shouted loudest.

...Leave and we will stop the "foreigners coming here and taking our jobs"... - false
    ...Leave and the UK economy will be better off... - false
    ...Leave and we will have better trade deals with EU countries... - false
    ...I could go on and on.

The irony is that the largest beneficiaries of EU funding are the counties that overwhelmingly voted leave. Where do they think they will get any replacement funding from? Westminster? Lol, get a grip.

Another irony is that for the UK to renegotiate the 52 separate trade deals it has with EU countries will take years. To get the favourable trade tariff deals (ala Norway), the UK must enforce free movement of people within the EU and UK. What do you think the UK government will do (whomever it is at the time)? Of course they will allow free movement because it is all about the economy stupid (apologies to Bill Clinton).

I fear that the UK is in for a seriously tough economic road ahead. Jobs & exports etc will all go. China (whose used the UK as a foothold into the EU) - gone, companies that used the UK as a launching pad into the EU due to the highly skilled workforce and understandable regulations, laws, economics etc - gone.

Those that voted leave will get what they wished for, the UK of the 70's. Remember that? Three day weeks, massive unemployment, balance of trade deficits, lower standard of living, diminished reputation of the UK worldwide.

Way to go Murdoch press readers, let someone else do your thinking for you.