1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2017 thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 27 Nov 2016.

1. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Not much of a surprise that those absurdly complex engineering pr0n front wings they all use only work properly without turbulent air.

Maybe F1 should just issue all teams with a standardized and very simple front wing, thinking something like this:

[​IMG]

In return allow teams to play around more with mechanical grip.

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I have a sinking feeling Mercedes are gonna be even further ahead of the field than the previous 3 seasons... Following the Autosport feed it looks like Lewis was just playing with the lap times - purple first sector, purple second sector, sandbaggy final sector...

The worry is that if the likes of Ferrari and RBR can't close the gap this season, when they all start in (relatively) the same place, and have shown they can't out-develop Mercedes over the course of a season for the past few years, this run could go on to eclipse Ferrari's 1999-2004 domination. Gulp.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I was listening on YouTube to Peterwindsor - Scarbs on the New F1 [insert team]. For Mercades he said that Toto pushed for different specifications in certain areas but Horner was in favour of what was eventually selected. The mechanics and Toto have both stated that the new regulations actually favour them and play to their strengths over what toto proposed.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Toto isn't stupid - He probably "pushed" for a set of regulations, knowing full well the likes of Horner would object to it, knowing in reality that the "compromise" they ended up with actually suited them perfectly....

Horner:
    [​IMG]

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ferrari now faster on a Soft than the Merc on a Supersoft...

To quote BBC Sport... "hmmm"

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

The thought crossed my mind tho I can't imagine Horner being so easily manipulated. Horner seems to have pushed for what looked best rather than improving the racing

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Lance broke his spoiler, silly boy...

8. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Lancor Strollonardo.

I'm calling it now.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2017
  9. legoman

Sounds about right, seems they managed to overnight the wing, someone must have got a grumpy phone call as they run a skeleton crew at night there.

See if McOrange can knock out some miles without breaking down

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Looking at the feedback that trackside observers are giving, that Ferrari seems to actually be really good, especially on the bendy bits.

Merc and Ferrari also seem pretty bulletproof (unlike that team that's going to be sitting without an engine at the end of the season, because they'll have told Honda to GTFO)

Let's see how heavy whose sandbags are, but I'd tentatively say we may have a fight on our hands.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  12. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Stroll going for Pastor's front wing death tally record?

I wonder if there's clauses in his contract that allow for Williams to claim back these damages? :p

13. legoman

I do wonder, three offs in two days, yesterday he ripped the step plates and under section of the front wing (plus floor damage) Today he damaged the rear diffuser an has munched the front wing, nose an suspension.

Not sure if hes going to be worth the money at this rate

[​IMG]

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

15. legoman

Copy an paste from BBC website

16. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Hamilton confirmed what many thought Merc have done 0 low fuel running, enough sky sports already confirmed this via the length of run. Hamilton did 8 laps on his fastest timed lap, Bottas did similar.

Could Merc really be further ahead, that would be unfun. Close run thing with drivers separating the front 3 would be better viewing.

17. legoman

Nice shot of the Redbull nose, looks like slats in there

[​IMG]

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

angled ones, apparently, so that the "hole" stays big enough.
    Clever solution, though the rumours are that other teams thought of it, and the gains were'n't big enough to warrant the time to make that pass crash tests.

We'll know more, once the sandbags come off, I suppose.

19. legoman

True, though I think they are going down the marginal gains route.

Other news Stroll damaged the chassis so no running from Willams today, that said it was an artificially wet track so not sure how much data the teams would harvest was more a Pirelli thing today.

20. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

If there was any team that needed help in the wet, it was Williams... Artificially or naturally.

Lewis not interested in getting his overalls damp, but Mercedes are probably already fairly confident in the mileage they've got. Plus lets face it, Lewis doesn't need much help in getting a car around a wet track (that talented *******).