1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2017 thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 27 Nov 2016.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Actually Mercedes was super lucky today. What won them the race was the safety car driving the cars in the pits, thus removing the speed difference between cars on the racetrack (even if it was behind a safety car) and pits. Thus Vettel and everyone else who got new tyres at VSC period got pretty much robbed. And that accounts for good 10-15 seconds. Plus Hamilton would have got stuck behind the slower cars too, instead of Vettel getting stuck behind the Red Bulls and Kimi.

In short, thus win was gifted to Hamilton by decision of race control to drive cars through pits in the safety car period.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Better race today, although it was a shame we didn't get the chance to see Seb and Lewis race. The weather and Max livened this one up.

Overtaking is going to be a real issue this year, even worse than before.

3. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

You can see how hard it is for cars to pass on the track this year.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  5. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

It has kind of been that way ever since they got rid of fuel stops.

Before that pit stops took much longer, so losing track position even with a big lead was more common and the changes in track position mixed things up.
    Plus a slow car could be temporarily fast and vice versa due to different fuel loads which made for a more natural sort of DRS.

On the other hand the last couple years have mostly been about avoiding collisions on lap 1 followed by praying the car doesn't fail for 100 minutes while going alone in circles.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Problem with Fuel stops is the extra cost and overtaking happens when in the pits. With the difficulty in overtaking something different needs to be done. DRS seems completely useless this year.

Overall the excitement seems to be in the mid pack. The wet race also was an exception rather than what is standard. I don't agree that Merc were lucky, the VSC maintained the gap and when the cars changed it was still early. Hamilton would of had a chance to build a lead further not suffering from the early switch. The second safety car robbed us of Hamilton having to work any harder for a race that he ultimately controlled in tricky conditions.
    I also think channel 4's coverage needs to be better. Feels like I missed half of what actually happened with the other drivers.

Race Summary

Hamilton: Controlled from start to finish, played it safe not to switch early on a drying track and it paid off. I reckon it would of paid off either way. Merc was the best on it's tyres and had the pace to build more than a second gap after the safety car.

Bottas: Not bad over a single lap, Very disappointing race. Outclassed by everyone today. Poses the question if Hamilton outperforming the car or is Bottas struggling? I would certainly say that the top 3 teams are very close.

Vettel: Another great performance.

Raikkonen: Beat Bottas, outclassed by Vettel and the Red Bulls. Questions will start being asked but for now doing OK.

Verstappen: Possible driver of the day. Overcame yesterday's setback and done excellent.

Riccardo: Better tyres at the end count for nothing over track position. Matched or came close to Verstappen in my eyes

Sainz: Brave at the start on tyre choice, done well.

Kyvatt: Unlucky

Magnussen: Done well today. Very good performance

Grosjean: Poor Saturday, meh start but made a good recovery overall. Not good enough to beat the FI's and catch his team mate.

Perez: Done what was expected, beat his team mate

Ocon: Done what was expected, lost to his team mate

Hulkenberg: Looked very strong then finished meh. Expected position maybe?

Palmer: Looked poor tbh. Finished one place behind his team mate so not that bad in the end.

Massa: Looked strong at one point, should of pitted and took the chance to overtake. Very disappointing tbh.

Stroll: Crashed. Should of had more awareness tho it was a bit of a lunge.

Ericsson: Finished the race. Barely knew he existed.

Giovinazzi: Looks very good. Tho this weekend it appeared that Maldonado turned up to drive.

McLaren: Goes well for Alonso, then gets overtaken and breaks down. Coincidence? Might make it one day. Vandoorne I don't have any opinion on apart from another driver outclassed by his team mate.

7. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Besides the costs it was also a massive safety risk, but it sure was more reliable at changing the running order compared to quali than anything we've seen since.

Only thing I can really think of to improve the situation would be to massively cut back on the aero parts and opt for more mechanical grip in return so the cars don't fall apart if another one is ahead of them, problem with that would of course be the same as with every other rule change, one team will master it first and or find a loophole and dominate while the other teams bitch at the green table...

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Short of giving everyone identical cars, I think F1 will always have this problem.

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I thought it was actually a pretty good race, there was plenty going on.

Overtakes IMO shouldn't be easy, DRS is doing what it was supposed to do, give the following car a chance to get close or alongside then let them battle in the braking zones, not how it was a couple of years ago where it was a given that you could sail past with the rear wing open, the overtakes this race were more "organic" as Brundle put it.

I guess you guys weren't watching F1 in the 90's?

10. javaman

That's one thing McLaren have captured from the 90's the reliability!

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Nah, they've definitely one-upped their past best.

12. B1GBUD

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I think thats a case of McLaren admitting defeat...

14. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Do they know April Fools is just one day :D

I think it is incredible they would drop him for Monaco, perhaps the one place where Fernandos skills could come to the fore and Hondas engine deficit would be lessened, surely they are throwing points away?

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

McL and Honda clearly know they lost Alonso from next year, so they are at least making a publicity stunt for Honda in USA.

17. javaman

I think its more a statement about F1 in general. A top driver giving a middle finger to the Jewel in the Crown of the sport? Either the sport has fallen, or Monaco means nothing and is just another race and not Mecca everyone makes it out to be

18. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Interesting, I would have thought Monaco would be one of the circuits they would be waiting for as a chance to actually get a decent result.

I really hope Nando can get a drive somewhere else next season - I don't care if it's not Mercedes, I just want him in a car that can consistently get to the finish line. I mean, if Perez can put the Force India on the podium, Alonso could probably mount a championship challenge in it.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Pretty much that, but more a statement about Monaco.
    It's the circus in full swing, but the racing there is crap. The last time something interesting happened there was 1) Nico Rosberg cheating in quali and 2) a FIndia sneaking through the inside at Hotel repeatedly

The procession will only get worse with wider cars, and the glitz and glamour wears off after a while

20. B1GBUD

I'm somewhat excited by the prospects, although it looks like a case of McHonda trying to please Alonso before he jumps ship, it's not often that F1 drivers get to try out the Indy500 so will be good to see how he gets on. The other prospect is that Jenson may be back in the car, he's a handy driver and could surely haul some points in Monaco.... providing the thing doesn't blow up!