1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2017 thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 27 Nov 2016.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

He was off by all 4 wheels :
    https://twitter.com/i/web/status/922240471749013504

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Gonna round this up with bullet points, because lazy...

-Lewis is on another level right now, probably the best he's been since 07/08. Saw on the coverage he is now controlling his own training, own diet, own schedule, obviously working for him, and Mercedes are doing the right thing with not interfering.

-Max's move might have been illegal, but it showed more guts and talent than half the field put together. He got the call on the radio saying he had "one chance" to make a move, and he did it... Shame the stewards and FIA still can't decide whether they want to fully enforce track limit rules or only pick and choose which corners and scenarios count.

-Sainz got a better result in 1 weekend than Palmer could manage over 2/3's of a season. lolz.

-Bottas 5th again, yawn. Ricciardo is making noise about wanting to partner Lewis while he's in his prime, Marko is making noise about having a spare seat in 2019. Make the call, Toto! Give us a fight worth watching!

-Ocon once again showing he is the real deal and giving Perez headaches all weekend. Gotta be one of the closest mid-field team battles in recent memory.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So he was, but that just raises the question why they specifically went for Verstappen having ignored every other driver who ran off the track overtaking or defending.

The 'he cut on the inside the others went outside,' argument sounds like a desperate flubb, the ex-Ferrari driver steward wasn't bothered about it until a Ferrari got knocked off the podium. F1's been made to look like a bunch of idiots and instead of the championship all the headlines today are about the stewards being unreliable.

4. faugusztin

When were stewards reliable ?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The key is not track limits but gaining an advantage by exceeding track limits, of course I don't know the details of every other scenario but typically going wide off track is not optimal, you are covering more distance than the guy doing it properly, you might save some tyre wear but at the same time pick up crud, either way the amount of eyes these teams have on track as well as data at their finger tips would suggest, if they haven't called it in to question already at the track with the steward they clearly did not see an issue for them, if an advantage was gained do you not think they would be asking for the place to be given back.

Shifting the corner in by a few metres is quite a bit different to going wide.

I’m one of the first to grumble about track limits, at Castle Combe earlier in the year I took the class record in my MX5 that was disallowed for exceeding track limits, so I know how much it grates, but it’s the rules, fortunately I managed to get it in the next outing albeit a bit slower but I know it’s on for next year :D , get a nice extra 2 bonus points for a record in the Hillclimb and Sprint championship :)

Last edited: 23 Oct 2017
    B1GBUD likes this.
  6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I do agree Max got the punishment that was fair for the maneuver and manner in which he exceeded track limits.

I remember hearing i think during the FP2 show on friday evening that track limits are not being enforced but each separate incident will be looked at and reviewed on a case by case basis. And I think that is fair. I heard Christian Horner going on about consistency and I think that is paramount. Hell I remember years ago watch an overtake off the track on the inside of the cork-screw at Laguna...

Now I personally think max did gain an advantage and exceed track limits, Now once again it could be said that when he was on the inside like that with clearly only 2 things happening, him going off the track or going wheel to wheel with kimi then mabye he needs to remember to take his foot off sometimes, But at the same time Kimi was playing very defensively up to that corner knowing max was quick, Max also drove it perfectly and forced that little gap on the inside. I could have easily seen that going either way and both sides would have felt the decision was wrong no matter who the decision went with.

I think consistency is what we need going forward, I dont care if they let drivers exceed track limits as long as they are consistent with punishments, I think they need the same rule as they do in bikes which is on turns where an advantage CAN be gained then they must keep wheels inside the white line/green paint. and if they exceed the paint/limit/line by anything then it is reviewed, In practices and qualifying say goodbye to your lapt, in the race, do it a couple of times and then give back a place etc.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Something else you need to be careful of in the case of Webber/Horners comments is what you wish for, some of the comments are a bit disingenuous, they know the rules, they know the score, they are just playing to the media , again looking at my own stuff, last season there was a lot of grumblings at events about how much liberty a certain MX5 driver was taking on the corners :p :D I had two wheels on, just , it was legal and within the rules, but quite a different line to others in class, I won the events :D

Due to the unhappiness from others, the organisers altered the tracks for this season, Combe put some nasty tyres on the chicanes and Llandow did the same with altered cone placement, it was horrible, everyone hated it, it changed the track, making the times slower and keeping me on 4 wheels, quite a few of the moaners had failed times due to new layout and the end result was that I still won, and got the record :p , happy days :D

If they change the tracks so you can't take these opportunities, there will be less overtaking, this race was pretty good because there were opportunities for those willing to take a risk, VER could have made that pass in the same place legally there was room, and it would have been even more awesome.

It was a good call by the stewards and in a timely fashion.

8. fix-the-spade

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Well, that's stretching it a little - he finished 13th after Hulk, Alonso, Riccardo and Wehrlein all retired and Magnussen did a very late pit stop... I actually think Kvyatt did alright in the race, too little too late, but a whole lot better than the races straight after being demoted!

10. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Even more bizarre, the penalty Brendon took was for Kvyat's car :eeek:

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Kvyat was driving Sainz's car in the US [techically], with Hartley driving Gasly's [which was formerly Kvyat's]

So:
    Car A - Kvyat -> Gasly -> Hartley -> Gasly [i presume]
    Car B - Sainz -> Kvyat -> Hartley [again, i'm presuming they'll have it this way round]

So, car A required a penalty-giving engine... Hartley was just unlucky enough to be the one driving it at the time [likewise Button getting Alonso's engine penalty in Monaco iirc].

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

13. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Theres a hell of a lot of work needed to be put into a viable solution for penalizing engine part swaps etc. I understand the fact the penalties are applied per car as that does work where say a driver is unwell but the car has still had all the parts swapped. also means no funky stuff can be done with drivers in different cars to ignore penalties etc. But its getting really to be a joke at this point. every weekend it seems as though theres news of a driver getting a 15+ grid penalty. And hell as we saw earlier in the season some teams swapped engines to get the penalty out of the way so they could have it sorted before a certain race where they expected to do well.

14. faugusztin

That would require FIA to think. For example by penalizing not the drivers, but the teams. For example for every extra engine swap, the team would get a 5 point deduction (but not the driver).

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

That to me would be a more sensible approach as the current solution hurts the driver who nine times out of ten is not the cause of the PU failure.

16. fix-the-spade

I'd do it the way DTM used to do it back in the day, once a car runs out of engines, that car no longer scores constructor points.

Of course that mean handing the top half of the constructors table to Mercedes powered teams, but frankly I see nothing wrong with handing Force India and Williams 2nd and 3rd in the constructors along with a huge pile of prize money..

17. RedFlames

McHonda would finish DFL in the constructors if they were docked points for each new engine.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Yes but we would see some more interesting races.

19. fix-the-spade

And richly deserved it would be.

20. RedFlames

Would we though? Most of the interest in the US came from a front-runner [Verstappen] slicing through the field from being near the back due to engine/box penalties. Had he started where he qualified it probably would have been a fairly dull procession as per.