1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2018 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 26 Nov 2017.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yawn.

And once again the PC brigade front up and tell women they can't do something any more because it degrades them - seriously this sort of crap is in danger of oppressing women more than helping. How about letting the women decide? or maybe mix it up and split it 50/50 men and women?

Just make sure they pay the men the same wage as the women ffs, or we'll never hear the end of it. :lol:

Last edited: 2 Feb 2018
    adidan and IanW like this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

TBH I never really pay much attentiom to them and I don't recall them being scantily clad. Couldn't care less, make it half and half I don't care.

What I would like to see is women drivers being encouraged and backed in F1, talking about the women holding up number boards is a side show compared to that.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Just saw a tweet from a grid girl basically saying "thanks for putting me out of a job AS WELL as severely reducing my chance of ever being at a GP weekend again". 2 sides to every story and all.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Whilst I don't see what value grid girls add apart from giving me something to lech at :D I don't see the point to this move, it is always sad when someone's earnings are impacted to PC sensibilities.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Its just people jumping on the SD bandwagon, from what I recall they were always quite conservatively dressed and very innocuous. Are they now going to stop children coming out with football players at the start of matches due to the risk of them being seen as paedophiles?

7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

My first reaction was that its archaic and belongs in the 70s. But after having seen feedback from some of the women who ahve done the role I can't shift the feeling that 'we' are forcing women's decisions on them (photos of the outfits show that in general they are modest so can't even call it leching over women really)

If they had gone 50/50 male/female models that would have achieved the goal of being more forward thinking whilst retaining a glamorous appeal (the beautiful people love the sport so you should to!). I guess it will depend on what alternative they go with (if any). Giving the roles to 'real' fans (i.e. via raffle or similar) would be a good approach. I would love to have the opportunity to stand on the grid like a muppet and would clap like mad on the run to the grandstand but I'm not sure my ugly mug would portray the F1 image!

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Always thought the 'tunnel of clapping' was forced and awkward looking since it appeared a couple of years ago.

The rest of the Grid Girls thing, more faffing about in the margins by Formula 1 and like all their faffing about in the margins it makes them look short sighted and reactionary. It would have been much better for them if they'd decided to hire a 50/50 ratios of Grid Guys to Grid girls and had some bronzed chiselled abs floating around the place to go with the nicely curving hips.

I expect the USGP to ignore the ban completely, for Grid Girls to be back within a couple of years and for the various teams to suddenly be employing some suspiciously attractive 'mechanics' on the grid in the mean time.

That is a fantastic idea, but like all fantastic ideas I doubt anyone at F1 would consider it.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'd like to see women in F1 but are there any out there that are actually good enough?

You cant just include them for equality reasons they have to be good enough.

As for the grid girls, I thought Oh there's some more jobs gone for political correctness, so basically ban modelling etc etc as well.

Ask the ladies if they are happy about it and as mentioned before maybe add some male eye candy too.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

No more grid girls...

[​IMG]

11. RedFlames

Two words: Pastor. Maldonado.

Two more: Lance. Stroll.

Arguing for selecting drivers on merit falls a bit flat when a good chunk of the current driver pool are only anywhere near an F1 car because their backers have deep pockets.

adidan likes this.
  12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Your reaction fails too as I don't want any paid for drivers male or female only good drivers.

If a female driver becomes a paid driver then it would only be for show.

I want to know if there is any female drivers out there that are good enough and I'm all for them being included.

13. adidan

Depends, are females being encouraged into the sport from an early age?

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

That's probably the issue, if they aren't being encouraged or taken seriously at an early age then they probably wont make it which is a real shame.

15. adidan

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm sure there could be plenty of good girls in motorsport but as with girls and engineering they are a lot brighter than us boys and realize its for mugs and there's no money in it so do something more useful instead :D

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Never forget that Pastor was GP2 champion and won the Spanish GP in his second season.

He had all the makings of a great driver, but some Twunts just need a bit longer to mature.

18. RedFlames

Even if they were any good, they'd probably be hard pressed to escape the accusation they were paying to be there or were only there to a tick some diversity box.

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

It all starts with getting females to attend GP's and motorsports in general. There has been an increase in female drivers in lower categories but motorsport in general is probably harder to get into than other sports like football, hockey, rugby, swimming, Athletics, cycling, golf, gymnastics etc. 30 mins Karting is £35 and there are 11 places in Northern ireland to do it. I pass more places to do those other sports on my 15min drive to work never mind having access to coaching in nearly every primary school these days.

I wonder if cheerleaders will be next to go. Surely no one is holding a gun to their head forcing them into degrading slavery. If anything many of the grid girls are in clothing relating to the country they represent and are better dressed than most teenagers wandering the streets.

20. adidan

Grid girls lost their jobs and are being replaced with child labour.

That's progress then. :/

fix-the-spade likes this.