1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2018 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 26 Nov 2017.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

RBR To use Honda engines for 2019 and 2020 seasons!

This will be interesting, considering how viscous they were to Renault a couple of years back... Also, might finally give McLaren a chance to finish ahead of them in the constructors championship (provided Renault make a step forward).

EDIT:

Also, "Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Honda" is an utterly ridiculous name for a team.

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

They won't be a works team either

I wonder how this will affect Daniel's decision on where he goes at the end of the year? ignoring the works badge, how does he feel about Honda really moving forward and challenging Mercedes and Ferrari.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So Red Bull are paying full asking price for the units, then? That's going to make it all the more likely that Horner and Marko will start bashing them as soon as an engine goes pop at an inconvenient time!

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

In return they can save some money though as with both Red Bull teams using the same engine they can share more parts (cooling etc) between the teams.

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Someone else's stats for how McLaren and Torro Rosso's engine switches have impacted results:

Gasly's 4th place was a genuine outlier, not a mark of progress. Both Torro Rosso drivers are heading the engine component usage charts too. If Renault do make a step forward with the engine for next year, the upper mid-field battle between the works team, McLaren and RBR could be more exciting than the inevitable Ferrari VS Mercedes fight.

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

The RBR and Mclaren Battle is Renault do make a step is the battle i want to see the most, I would love so much to see RBR go to honda and have more issues and for Mclaren to do well with the Renault power unit. See how long before RBR are openly blaming honda for all the issues

Last edited: 20 Jun 2018
  7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The Honda move is no surprise, RB practically had to beg to get Renault engines for 2018, for 2019 Renault were never going to supply them.
    I think Ricciardo's mind was made up after Baku. Whilst the actual crash was both of them getting it wrong the fact that RB had let Verstappen drive like a plonker for 50 laps and done nothing about it showed where their priorities lie.

I still think he will be driving a Merc next year even if both sides have denied it.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2018
    B1GBUD likes this.
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Never beleive a rumour until it's been oficially denied...

9. fix-the-spade

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

not only that, but I also hazard a guess that he's aware his career with RBR is not going to go super far. So may as well switch to the devil you don't know for the money

11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

crazyg1zm0 likes this.
  12. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I would love to see that as well. in a competitive car. would be a great dynamic to see and i would expect some quality racing

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Its a driver combo I'd like to see.

crazyg1zm0 likes this.
  14. fix-the-spade

My assumption is that it will be Ricciardo-Vandoorne, Nando's got his eyes on the Brickyard.

But yes, Eyebrows and the Grinning Assasin in one team would be a superb line up. No excuses if Mclaren don't build a great car, but then that never stopped them when it was Hamilton and Button, or Alonso and Button, or Kimi and DC either.

15. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

16. fix-the-spade

But who's going to buy the press ice cream?!

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

My feeling is that Alonso is, right now, holding McLaren hostage a bit. If they make the right sounds, he'll stay. If not, he'll go.
    If he goes, McLaren loses an on-car sponsor in the form of Kimoa as well.
    Either way, I feel he's gone after next season.

I am hoping for Ricciardo and Lando Norris at McLaren next year.
    That will mean RBR will run Gasly/Verstappen.
    Ferrari will be with Leclerc/Vettel
    Sauber will pull in Giovinazzi for the replacement - italian, Ferrari Development driver -that's pretty much a perfect tryout in an Alfa branded car.

I also reckon there is a chance of Romain losing his seat. Yes, there is bad luck involved in his performance this year, but, quite frankly, KMags seems to be doing a better job, more quietly.

18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I reckon Alonso wage and his eyes on Indy will mean McLaren won't keep him. unless he goes for a sabbatical.
    If Riccardo goes he at least gets to be team leader if Alonso goes and if Alonso is there, a new challenge. It also speaks volumes about his thoughts on Honda.
    I can't see Stoffle being there next season. Unless Alonso goes and Riccardo doest come, I think McLaren will have Lando in the seat next season pairing Riccardo/Alonso

I can see Haas remaining loyal to Kmags and Grosjean. They have thus far and both have been unimpressive the last few seasons.

I wonder what happens to Sainz. He seems to be about to fall through the cracks especially since Gasley has impressed.

Givonazzi is interesting. The team really talk him up due to the work he's done behind the scenes. For someone not currently racing he's making headlines which is interesting. I wonder if he could sneak ahead of Leclerc

19. fix-the-spade

Depends if he can get on terms with Hulkenberg, aside from his annual Baku crash Hulk has been pretty unstoppable in that Renault. Sainz needs to be beating him some of the time, although it does serve as a reminder that Hul is actually pretty freaking fast even if he hasn't managed a podium finish.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Oh Romain. On the track you can't remain. :rollingeyes: