1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2018 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 26 Nov 2017.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

Brilliant! :hehe:

2. David

David RIP Tel

Indeed.

I know you're supposed to be professional and show restraint in the face of such behaviour, but I would've put him on his arse.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Thing is:
    Max had nothing to lose from letting Ocon go, and Ocon would have had to let him past again in the next corner... there's no "don't want to get stuck in the wake" argument to be made here.
    Ocon had the inside line, Max KNEW he was there, but assumed right of way.
    Max was ahead, so Ocon could have left some room, But Ocon was still substantially beside Max, so Max should have left room... It's was moronic from Max.
    Shoving Ocon around afterwards is unprofessional as well.

Only somewhat related: Does anyone else foresee fireworks at RBR next year if this continues?
    https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/11...repeatedly-ignored-order-to-let-hartley-past/

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Ocon was perfectly in his right to unlap himself and go chasing the car up ahead. He done it in a risky place tho. With all The pace he would have been better waiting until turn 4 as the switchback and decline always has the possibility of going slightly wrong and getting worse as the section continues.

I think the incident shows how arrogant and entitled Max is. How dare a back marker unlap himself. Ocon had the line for the second corner and tried to get the further along side for the second corner but didn't quite get his nose fully in front. He still managed to get a good 50% along side. Max knew he was there and short of Ocon disappearing that was a gonna be contact.

Max is over aggressive. He essentially attempted to drive him off the circuit. Max is the whole reason we have these stupid rules about defending and overtaking, cause he is too aggressive and will go beyond defending a position. If his style of driving was allowed we wouldn't have overtakes, just smouldering wrecks at every corner.

I see why Ocon got the penalty and not Max tho. He was a back marker so if something goes wrong it disproportionately hurts the car in the lead. It makes sense to punish such offenses by punishing the back marker to ensure they don't get entangled and ruin races. I still feel Max was at fault tho.

He's fast but incredibly stupid. Unless he matures (showing no signs of it since his rookie season) I can't see him winning the championship. Not unless he has a car to run away with it in and even then will likely throw it away overdriving it.

As much as i hate to say it I can't see Gasly keeping up with Max. It won't be a whitewash but Gasly will play second fiddle to him. Max is very fast and he has the entire team backing. He is Red Bull at this point.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Hamilton summed it up perfectly
    He could have easily let him go then enjoyed a nice tow to the end of the next straight an passed him there.

From the radio chatter in TR Gasley seems to be a another having another tantrum, I did like Hartley apologised to his team for the language though, dont get that very often.

But yes Gasley will have to play second fiddle, Max is very much what they team want so its going to be team Max with Gasley there to make up the numbers.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yeah look - We all know that Gasly is going to get the "Ozzy Seat" - that is the "seat most likely to be in the bad car", or "seat most likely to be used as a guinea pig" as some would have it.
    The question is whether he'll shut up about it or get verbal.

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Understanding more of the context of the crash, I feel Max is wholey to blame.

Ocon was behind Max for a couple of laps,he gained permission from his team to unlap himself, with this message being relayed to Max.

During the overtake, Ocon got in front, and as the turn straightened Max edged about a wheel diameter in front. It was at this point Max closed the door with Ocon alongside. It was unecessary to be racing against a lapped car running 3 secs a lap faster. Ocon had no where to go, he was already on the kerb.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2018
    BentAnat and javaman like this.
  8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Peter Windsor hits the nail on the head IMHO:

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Last edited: 18 Nov 2018
  10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

**** me. How someone didn't die in that is a miracle and the awesome legacy of Stewart. That's got to be complete brake failure to come in at that speed?

12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Jesus, I know Macau is dangerous but thats a whole new level of insane.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

Holy crap how is nobody dead from that, its horrific.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Apparently following closely behind her competitor, clipped her wing on his rears when he braked earlier than usual, got turned around, then the rears picked her up. Complete passenger at 270-odd kph, apparently.

the injuries are serious enough, TBH. Spine, broken jaw, Liver laceration... that's not a good tally.
    BUT - without the safety standards in place, that would be WAY WAY WAY worse. So all in all - as good an outcome of this as anyone could have hoped for.

It's proper scary to see that car come past at that pace out of nowhere.

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

the fact she was going backwards may well have saved her life as the car rolled up ( onto the hump ) where if she went nose first, she could fell of gone face first into the fence / object she hit
    i read a source that says she was doing 140mph+ while backwards and airborne

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Other competitors say it is fault of the signalling system. Aparently one station was flashing yellow sign by mistake, causing the competitor to slow down with her having no time to react, and then she was just a passenger due suspension failure (thus no brakes).

17. David

David RIP Tel

Just to add a little more "holy ****", there were people inside that structure her car hit.

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

This makes sense.

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Photographers, not people XD

Actually, two of them have been hospitalised, so hopefully they haven't been hurt too seriously.

On a different note.
    Jenson Button became Super GT champion at the first attempt not too long ago, Honda are reportedly very happy about it.

On another different note.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/46194611
    YOU WHAT!?

20. David

David RIP Tel

That toxic prick must have some powerful sponsors.

Should've been banned from the sport for that sh!t

IanW and The_Crapman like this.