1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2018 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 26 Nov 2017.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

This is the 5th year of the "hybrid era", there's no excuse any more for Renault not to have basic reliability dialled down now. If Mercedes and Ferrari can do it, then Renault (who were the biggest supporters of smaller capacity, electronically assisted engines) should too.

Honda could be forgiven for a number of reasons (late to party, only 1 team to develop parts with, that team being particularly demanding), Renault not so.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

During last year Renaults ERS unit was that unreliable they reverted to the 2016 spec which from what I understand is still in use, so its quite a primitive unit an likely runs hot which was a common issue back then.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I wouldn't totally give Honda that. It was thought Honda where being clever by skipping the first year and having essentially a year of unrestricted development to watch and learn from other manufactures and top it off with knowledge from McLaren working with the Merc engine that season. Honda arrived almost as far behind year one engines, apparently having done no prep for the era.

Add to that the sudden realisation that test bench does not equal track data was a monumental face palm and simply should of been caught earlier.

I do agree that over all McLaren did shoot a wounded Honda in the head by restricting supply and being overly demanding with a size zero car.

EDIT:
    Gary Anderson quote about Riccardo's lap time

Last edited: 7 Mar 2018
    BentAnat likes this.
  4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Nearly everyone showing a jump in performance this morning, no dramas or breakdowns, either!

Looking like the whole field is bunching up too, which is the best thing for a racing fan. I still expect it to be a Merc/Ferrari/occasional RBR show on a Saturday, but hoping for much tighter Sunday's this season.

5. javaman

Incoming Quote Dump

From Gary Anderson
    Not going to be the actual pecking order but certainly will ball park. Personally Williams seems a high to me. Renault as well but I would say they're sitting in FI's spot of best of the rest from last year.
    Personally I would of said McLaren was just ahead of Renault's level but after yesterday and the articles I'm reading I donno where to place them.
    I also would place Torro Rosso slightly higher but the consistency has to be noted here.

A few posts from Edd Straw
    amusing Quote from Stuart Codling

Last edited: 8 Mar 2018
  6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I find the comments from Ed Straw on Autosport Live the most "telling" of anything we've seen in testing.

Notably today: Merc keeping the profile very low, and just lapping.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I think Renault have been very smart with their approach to returning to the front of the grid - no outlandish gimmicks to try and leap-frog the mid-field, no scattergun approach to new parts. Just get a reliable base and build from it, slowly but surely.

Only hiccup was taking on Palmer...

They definitely won't be troubling the "top 3" this year, but I reckon they'll settle into a very comfortable 4th.

As for Gary Anderson, I gave up paying attention to anything he says ages ago - not that I don't like the guy, but I can't say I have ever found his predictions or analysis to be particularly accurate. Craig Scarborough is my go-to for technical round ups during testing!

8. javaman

Agree BentAnat. For people wondering here are some more Edd Straw Quotes

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So it wasn't Honda, or even McLaren... It was Fernando himself. Stoff did what,150+ laps yesterday? Alonso doesn't even see double figures before the car ejects it's oil all over turn 7!

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Somebody in France must have worked with him in 2006, everyone at Mclaren remembers 2007...

Having said that, this afternoon he put in a time almost four seconds faster than the fastest lap a McHonda ever did of Catalunya, so the previous years of Honda engine were just as bad as everyone thought. When it's working that McRenault is fast, not Mercedes fast, but Renault and Red Bull will be looking over their shoulders.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/kubica-gave-up-track-time-for-stroll/
    HE'S GOING TOO FAST HE'S GOING TOO FAST GOD MAKE HIM STOP!

Last edited: 9 Mar 2018
  11. rollo

rollo Modder

Tyre manufacture said there is 2.5 seconds dif between the medium and hypersofts

If merc in race trim can do 1.19.5s they gain about 4 seconds on that in quali

Good luck rest

12. javaman

Merc didn't do a low fuel run the entire 2 weeks of testing. We all know they have an extra mode during qualifying from last year.

In those conditions the Medium was the tyre to be on. As the week progressed the Soft became useful. Teams couldn't get enough heat into the tyres to get use out of them.
    Also mentioned in earlier posts the cars setup also determined how useful each tyre was. If the car was already under steering soft tyres aren't gonna help
    Hard, Medium, Soft and SuperSoft tires this year are a step softer. So Mediums this year were last years softs. Guide

Last edited: 10 Mar 2018
  13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Did anyone ever actually use the Hard tyre last year?

14. javaman

I don't think so. Only 1 race actually had it as an option (spain from memory) and conditions meant it wasn't any use anyway.

This years hard was last years medium and it was limited use. Choosing 3 non consecutive tyres will hopefully help here depending on circuit so they can bring the harder compounds along with more softer tyres.

15. javaman

16. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Shame Maldonado and Kvyat aren't still on the grid, then we'd be half way to proper Wacky Races.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

18. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I've not read the rules admittedly but is there anything to stop the teams writing off the first race in Australia by taking multiple engine penalties to prevent them from taking any later in the season?

Is it possible to go into the second race of the season with 5 engines to choose from for example?

19. javaman

Its a good question but Aus is typically a race anything can happen and all teams like to give it all. I can see it being more likely to wait for a bad qualifying session, a race they know they have no hope or a race they can reclaim the lost places.

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Aus wouldn't surprise me if they did do that, only issue would be on that if the engine supplier uses some tokens to bring an update I think they would still need to use the older PU as the Honda PU is expected to be down on power compared to the rest of the field.