1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2018 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 26 Nov 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So the poison dwarf wants F1 to do the very things he stopped it doing whilst he was in charge of it?

IanW likes this.
  2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Think we have a new princess stampy feet.

Can't control f1 anymore so tries to destroy it so he can be in charge again.

Ffs Bernie, hated that bloke.

3. RedFlames

He thinks F1 is all about him, pretty much always has... He's pissed that people are talking about F1, but not about him.

Typical 'say something incendiary to get mug in papers' stuff from the poison dwarf.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

In complete seriousness I think Bernie is suffering from the early stages of Dementia. In the last few years he was in charge of F1 his decision making became rapidly more and more extreme, now he's apparently advocating burning his life's work to the ground.

You can bet that if he did this Liberty would bury him so deep in lawyers his great, great grand children would be attending court hearings, I'll bet the terms of the sale included numerous non-compete clauses if Bernie were to leave or be fired from F1.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

And Alonso has crashed his McLaren already...
    [​IMG]

Sam

legoman likes this.
  6. fix-the-spade

Evidently he wasn't ready for the pedal on the right to actually do something.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So the Honda powered Torro Rosso is breaking the 90 lap mark, and the McLaren is breaking wheel axles...

Some smug faces in Japan right now, methinks!

8. fix-the-spade

Well, it was a loose wheelnut, so Mclaren have decided to do to Alonso what they used to do to Button, great job guys!

On a different note I can see Williams being DFL this year, the Sauber looks like a real F1 car this year and will get faster as 'Alfa Romeo' give them help with updates, the Haas looks as solidly middling as last year, the STR Honda doesn't look like a complete dog and has two very good racing drivers in it. Stroll was 6th this morning but I do not see that being the case by mid season.

9. RedFlames

I know Testing times aren't wholly representative but jeebus... did Sirotkin get out and push or something?

[​IMG]

10. fix-the-spade

The weather deteriorated in the afternoon which made the running slower, but Alonso still set 5th fastest time in the 'bad' weather.

I would appear that Sirotkin is just slow AF, which is not unexpected from the man Renault didn't think was as good as Palmer.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That table flatters McLaren - Alonso was on Super Softs

12. RedFlames

And had that time scrubbed for cutting the chicane. He was 7th fastest based on his next fastest time.

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Done some you tubing and nosing about some interesting bits

[​IMG]

Ferrari have similar as you would expect but have a flatter solution, also note the slightly downward facing turning vein to guide the flow under the intake round the cut away below

[​IMG]

HAAS again have the tripe intake setup so its clear its something power unit related rather than anything else. Also look at those barge boards, looks like wonky fans

[​IMG]

McLaren couple of notable bits, super small intake compare that to the ferrari and HAAS above, also the slats in the floor, potentially could be used to introduce vortices to seal the floor and speed the airflow under the car to produce much more downforce.
    Someone mentioned the lack of S Duct, visually from the side it looks like the nose is a shallow enough angle to not give any real benefit for the drag it produces.

[​IMG]

Something interesting from Red Bull, the shut lines on the engine cowl basically indicate they could turn up with various backs for want of a better word. Hot track, more vents, etc etc.
    Also the side pods, the base actually sticks out rather than having a big undercut, benefit is they can cram more kit lower down rather than higher up to help with countering the halo device weight.

[​IMG]

The STR, Merc and Renault nothing yet :naughty:

14. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

How is it that only Mercedes were able to come up with a decent looking nose, with no "thumb", "nostrils" or "dong"?! Also, Sainz made an interesting comment about the Halo - it stops light rain from hitting the visor, so he was unable to tell how wet it really was until he started sliding around and his gloves got wet.

[​IMG]

15. fix-the-spade

http://www.planetf1.com/news/martini-to-end-williams-sponsorship/
    Behold! The price of taking on pay drivers! I wonder who's paid the most into the team, Stroll, Sirotkin or Bacardi Group.
    You would think that with Merc wining the last four seasons other teams would have abandoned their little chubbies.

16. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

That's Williams done and dusted in F1. If the Sauber is improved even half as much as it looks, and the Torro Rosso can make it across the line in the points just a couple of times, Williams will be bottom of the table by end of the season - good luck getting another sponsor then!

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I think it's more he wants these things to happen to prove him right and getting rid of him was a mistake. With Bernie there are too many What-Ifs and decisions that where made working out for the better. In the end he was wanting full control as the teams kept blocking every proposal and coming up with nothing in return.

Looking at the times today Merc looks fast. The morning was mostly long runs and Hamiltons pace looked good in the afternoon on long runs. Ferrari are a bit off but not much

Williams looks terrible

Renualt looks strong.

McLaren are hard to place. Good Single lap maybe lacking on long runs

Sauber look good but still wouldn't place them higher than midfield. It was noted Leclerc working the tires hard on the straight weaving to generate heat. That was on the ultrasofts on a very cold track.

Torro Rosso looks reliable and fairly solid

A few comments form Gary Anderson about Ferrari seem to suggest they are loosing time on the straights with their backend setup not squatting enough. It's likely they will have it sorted and gain a lot of time there

Another comment From Gary about Williams.

Problem isn't with the car maybe? To be fair Kubica has been doing most of the testing.

18. fix-the-spade

Yup, he also went faster than Stroll and Sirotkin, which can't be helping morale within the team.

#Edit, first week of testing over.

Toro Rosso did 326 laps, the most of anyone, who'd a'thunk?

Mercedes went 0.5sec faster than anyone else, on medium tyres. That thing still has the monstrous high speed grip it had last year. Hopefully it's still weak at low speed corners or this will be a very dull season.

Ferrari are still second.

The McRenault, Red Bull and Renault Renault all corner like they are on rails. But they are also 20kph down on the straights vs Merc teams.

FI, Sauber and Haas are struggling a bit.

Williams are in the poo, unless Paddy has something truly genius hidden up his sleeve.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2018
  19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

When Ham put down those times on the medium tyres yesterday, my mind went "oh snap!".

Of course, it's hard to read too much into things, ESPECIALLY with the resurfaced track that's a lot faster (Lewis called it "easy"), but within 2/10 of his pole time from last year on mediums is impressive.
    If nothing else, I think it's safe to say that Merc is confident in their testing programme so far. It also seems like they found a way to switch on the tyres a bit better, considering it's freezing cold out, and those are the mediums.

So far, the only things that could be framed as "reliability issues" (even at a stretch) seems to be RBR having 2 leaks through the 4 days. That's hardly abnormal for this time of year.

In my mind, STR and McLaren are testing engine scope at this point, rather than anything else.
    Lap numbers all around seem decent enough, with STR being the front runners there, Haas, RBR and FI being the ones that failed to do over 1000 km.

I expect some proper glory runs next week. Especially since in the past, Ferrari seemed quite keen on those.
    Especially if the weather is better.

Surely, the minus-a-billion degrees that most of Europe seems to be experiencing lately, reliability tests are a bit "off" this time around. I can imagine it being quite different to run an engine at 5 degrees to, say, 35 in Abu Dhabi.

20. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

The medium tyres where probably the best choice for the conditions but we can Guess that Merc have the engine turned waaay down (Quality mode last year).
    A Sky report expects teams to be in the 1:17 when the temperature rises.
    McLaren and Red Bull's limited running was a problem but not something I'm going to predict the end of the world. They're clearly where they expect and should be.
    McLaren are also expected to bring a completely updated package to Melbourne so testing really won't tell us anything for the first race. Quality will be the first benchmark there
    Force India and Williams are the 2 that look in trouble with Torro Rosso and Sauber looking solid but their drivers making the cars impossible to place.