1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2019 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 25 Nov 2018.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I watch the Williams Docu-movie last night on telly again. It's so sad that they're where they are.

I really hope they can get back to being a contender before FW kicks the bucket.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I know someone who used to work there they were appalled at how poor the work was on carbon and in general, very much a make do an mend attitude.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

One of my ex-colleagues from the military is a hydraulics engineer for them. Don't get much info off him though, he's very tight lipped about it all. Understandable.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

This is very common in motor racing. Years (and year and years) ago I wangled my way into the Suzuki garage at Donington park, as lovely as the GSVR was from the outside the inside of the fairing and seat mast were extremely roughy laid up. The mechanics were of the opinion that because nobody would see inside the fairing it didn't matter. The RC211V in the LCR garage by contrast was perfect no matter how close you looked at it, which I suspect is why Suzuki have won 6 races and 1 title since 2000 and Honda have won, well a lot more than that.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Williams bodging stuff, they won't have a twenty plus five axis mills making them new moulds the way Mercedes does.

5. legoman

True, having been to the merc HPP facility it is another world. Multi Axis mill's 3D printed metals etc.

6. legoman

More delays to Williams and some rumours on it being the slowest car on the grid, looks like it may be another tough season for them

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That's hardly news though is it? It's be more of a surprise if it wasn't the slowest car on the grid.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

At least they haven't got double decker head Lance 'Tefal' Stroll driving for them any more.. Can't stand that kid and he's only at Racing Point now because daddy's minted.

Come back Pastor Maldonado... all is forgiven!!

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Why, because a state-sponsored numpty is better than a daddy-sponsored numpty?

A numpty is a numpty - Pastor was just better at throwing his car at the scenery.

10. RedFlames

Pasta was an entertaining numpty. Stroll is just beige personified on and off track.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  11. legoman

Isnt PDVSA is hot waters anyway at the moment?

Other sponsor news, Rich energy believe they wont have any issues with their upcoming court case against Whyte Bikes but from what I can understand Whyte registered the logo a fair while before Rich.
    No doubt it'll be who's got the biggest legal team anyway which is a bit rubbish.

12. RedFlames

It and the rest of Venezuela.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

"No-one wins a lawsuit but the lawyers." - Robert A Heinlein

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yes, you're right of course but Pastor was just a very bad paid drive. Stroll is a toff-nosed, entitled, very bad paid drive.

The lesser of two evils, with Pastor - was my point.

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So after day one of testing we have the following conclusions.

1. The new aero regs are EVEN FASTER than the old ones, the FIA couldn't have failed more completely if they added a rocket motor.
    2. The Ferrari and Mercedes are clearly both reliable and fast as ever.
    3. The Renault and McRenault look surprisingly not bad.
    4. Honda engines are still iffy.
    5. Williams have clearly gone bust, but no one is prepared to admit to it yet. So they'll be 'at the next session' until the planes land in Australia without them.

On his days (and what a pair of days they were) Pastor managed to take a pole position, then hold off Fernando Alonso for 50 laps and take a race win, driving a Williams. He was also GP2 champion, quite what went wrong in Pastor's brain we will never know, maybe winning a GP ws his life's ambition, so he having acheived he just stopped trying. I can't argue he wasn't entertaining though.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh no, if Red Bull suffer a year or three in the wilderness, that would be just terrible. :D

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. RedFlames

Oh dear. How Sad. Never Mind.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I miss Windsor Davies...

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While there is certainly some entertainment to be had from the Horner tantrums one day it'll have real consequences and then boom, F1 down to 8 teams...

20. legoman

Just watched the Mexico city E Prix, wow mad finish well worth a watch I'd say, much much closer and more aggressive all round.