1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2019 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 25 Nov 2018.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I just can't bring myself to watch Formula-E, no matter how close the racing is. It's utterly soul-less and there's no theatre whatsoever. Just full size scalextric IMO.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The noise.... Sounds like milk floats

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

not quite, no bottles clinking, plus our milk floats a transit :lol:

4. legoman

Well, they are ahead on the all time lap record so far which is 1:18.441 set by Mr Riccardo last season. Kimi has dipped to 1:17.762, obviously it means nothing during testing but shows the cars are not really any slower.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Formula E no longer has the halfway car swap. This year's cars have enough battery juice to last the whole race.

EDIT: Williams have finally shown up to testing.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2019
  6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Looking at some of the analysis of testing for Merc which compared their long runs to race performance last year and it suggested Merc are looking around 2 seconds off the pace compared to then. Some points of note

1. Merc are focusing on baseline performance and haven't dialed the car in yet
    2. Merc Didn't refuel during their long runs so it can be assumed they where running brimmed.
    3. Engine is most certainly turned down.

Even if Merc extract another second through engine modes and dailing the car in I'm not convinced they're on the pace, especially once that Ferrari is turned up. A comment someone made was the Ferrari looks amazing through the corners, the Merc not so much so.
    I would look for updates in the Next test and Melbourne but my early prediction is Merc are 3rd best atm.

Alfa and TR set near identical times. Kyvatt's came during a very short stint compared to Raikkonen's who stayed out for a bit after setting the time.
    Kyvatt did say he didn't know what mode the engine was in and he left a bit on the table during the run so we can assume there is a bit more to come from TR. Interestingly I hadn't realised at launch but the TR is using a lot of last year Red Bull parts. It will be a useful benchmark going forward to compare last year and this years cars.
    The lap from the Alfa would suggest it is marginally quicker than the TR. The only downside was over the longer runs, the Alfa's rear looks to become very loose. If it does have decent single lap pace, could it's race pace be a bit compromised?

Either way TR and Alfa are looking to potentially be at the front of the midfield.

Other things of note, Haas have very little track time compared to other teams. Racing point hasn't struck me as anything special. Renault haven't struck me as having anything special. William's are in complete chaos by the sounds of things regarding their testing delay.

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I watched a summary video of the last few days testing and almost everyone at Merc commented on Ferrari's package this year and how they were in for a tough season.

Watching LeClerc's onboard footage, it seems vastly improved to last years car. Great front end, lots of rear grip and went up and down the box beautifully.

This season is going to be a belter.

8. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Mercedes don't give a diddly squat about lap times right now and are weighed down with a LOAD of sand.

If you think they are anywhere near 2 seconds off the pace, they have well and truly pulled the wool over your eyes. Lewis will be in the hunt for championship number 5 from Australia onward.

Ferrari will be there or there abouts too, no surprises to come at the front imo.

The real questions marks are over RBR with the Honda engine (they are alread denying rumours of vibration issues and we all know that when teams start denying stuff, it usually means its true) and where Renault and McLaren are in the pecking order.

9. legoman

Interesting, Alfa have already got to the strapping new toys on the car stage, looks like some quite aggressive development already.

Williams have slapped "new" parts on the car im assuming these are what they should have come along with but yesterday was just a shakedown. will have to wait for next week I would think for some more realistic laptimes are they are two seconds down at the moment.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Number 6, surely?
    Holy ****, I asked Ferrari if it was true their suspension system is made from the bones of baby foxes, and they DENIED it!!!

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Even i'm losing count now!

I'm telling ya, never trust anything you hear in the pit-lane... You ever seen a fox near an F1 circuit?!

EDIT:

Also, the more pictures I see of George Russell, the more i'm convinced we have our first female F1 driver... just in disguise.

David likes this.
  12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Is it the pink nomex onesie? :p:

13. legoman

Hes not driving for Racing point, good news is though is the car is showing some better pace, no idea on fuel loads but its into the 1:21's at least

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

1.21 Gigawatts? Man, that's heavy.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Looking at the testing, it's quite normal for midfield teams to top the timesheets early.
    No surprise to see TR and Renault do well.
    Haas was also up there, and word from Autosport is that the Haas looks very stable through turn 9 (I think that's the one? fast almost 90 degrees).
    I would hazard a guess here and say that the midfield is probably closer together.
    RP and Williams are somewhere around the back, big question being whether the McLaren will join them or not.

At the top, everyone's wearing piles of sand.
    The one observation I would say counts is that Mercedes seems a bit understeery through fast bits, whereas the Ferrari seems less so.
    As for RBR/Honda - the big question for them will be whether the rumors of vibrations are true, and how reliable that ICE is.
    One thing even I noticed is that it doesn't sound like it did on the overrun. Much less "clanky" and "rattly".

Autosport (and let's make it clear, Gary Anderson's opinions are sometimes quite a bit off the mark) seems to be of the opinion that Merc is suffering from the lack of rake on their car, and they say that the time delta between their C3/C4/C5 tyre runs are proof of this...

That said, we all know that these are pretty much launch cars. There will be new parts next week, and I am somewhat expecting to see times fall below the 1:16 mark that showed up last year in Q3 at the race/

It's also said (by Racefans) that 4 teams have gone faster than they did last year at this point, notably, Ferrari not being one of them, and Merc being one of them - make of that what you will.

TR, Renault and Alfa also bested their race lap times this week...

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

17. legoman

Well, appears from testing times that Williams are OK which is a great relief I would imagine to them.
    Now this is a big if, but if they are halfway competitive the midfield fight is going to be very very interesting.

18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The missus jokes how Grosjean has very pretty eyes, we've nicknamed him "Ladyboy".

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

We all know that nothing's entirely clear until quali in Melbourne.
    However, it's fun to play a guessing game, so i'll make some wild predictions based on 6.5 days of testing:

The Ferrari is quick
    The Merc is as quick
    The RBR is not quite as quick (at least around Catalunya), to form the third of the top 3 teams.
    Williams is dead last. I am half expecting them to shut down operations before the year is done.
    The midfield is very tight.

Leclerc is as quick as Seb, but will lack some racecraft on raceday (not that princess stompyfeet has shown too much of that)

20. legoman

Midfield does look juicy this season, its a shame Williams will be plum last. Not sure where to place McLaren at the moment in the pecking order is it going to be another fast but very fragile car?