1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 13 Dec 2020.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Agreed, i have wondered many times this season how long crying to race director has been going on, perhaps its worse now as teams are pushing to see what they can get away with who knows but Massi hasn't done himself any favours this season with inconsistent decisions, penalties and seemingly random Track limits monitoring ( even once changing MID RACE after Red bull noted Lewis was track extending at a corner and gaining an advantage so they advised Max to do the same, only then was Lewis told to stop track extending ) its been a shambles all season to BOTH teams. and the Random Pick'n'mix stewards REALLY need to go imo.

i think the FIA were in a total lose - lose situation at the end of the race, no decision they could of made there would of been the right one, and they would upset one of the camps

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Chain Bear done a good video analysing (similar to everything said already so nothing new about the incident) however he did add a comment on the race director who's role is to ensure the smooth running of the event and that everything goes to plan and follows the rules.
    The problem was Masi became judge, jury and executioner resulting in a shift of no longer simply following the rules but actively interpreting them himself regardless of precedent set based on what he wanted. Whiting I felt always applied the same measure regardless of the situation which could appear like "he got it wrong".
    From memory Charlie monitored the radio and only responded with direction ie. give the place back but generally didn't get involved or become the show.

3. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I believe Charlie Whiting had Herbie Blash as a right hand man , a man of vast experience .. Who's Masi got? I think like with all rather important decisions as such you need the right team built around you with consistency within the rulebook to match.

An un-biased, well coordinated team is needed. Not a pick-your-favorite-ex GP driver.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Masi out, Mylander in.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It still pains me that we’ll see 1xWDC next to Max’s name in the record books, not because he wasn’t deserving over the season (both the key protagonists were deserving), but that it was handed to him through a total disregard for the written rules.

Over the course of the year I had it marginally in Max’s favour, and 50/50 by the closing stages of the last race. For it to end in the manner I’d did has has really soured the sport I’ve followed since the 80’s - only equalled by the Indianapolis debacle.

javaman likes this.
  6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm going to be controversial here, but I don't really care about what's happened with the WDC. The sport has always been money driven since Ecclescake took over and this is no different.

If you're a Lewis fan the I can see why it might hurt, but historically the richest teams have been the only contenders and it's no different now. Just because the WDC was decided by a controversial choice from one man (I personally think it was much more entertaining than LH just being able to drive off into the distance on the final lap), the sport itself is exactly what it's been for many years. Very cash-rich teams competing at the front of the grid, and more financially challenged ones fighting for the scraps.

Next season I'd like to see Ferrari, McLaren and Renault all fighting with RB and Mercedes for wins, it will be so much better for the sport if we have 4-6 drivers genuinely capable of winning on any given weekend.

7. javaman

something partially related I was thinking about today was when was the last time the WDC came from a team that didnt finish 1st or 2nd in the WCC?

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I'm guessing Piquet for Brabham 1983, Brabham were 3rd. The year before Keke Rosberg went one better, Williams were 4th.

Since there's been a constructors they might be the only two full stop.

9. javaman

Will have to add that to the christmas quiz

fix-the-spade and The_Crapman like this.
  10. nOracle

nOracle What's a Dremel?

2008 I think. Hamilton won in the McLaren with Ferrari taking the constructors.

11. javaman

McLaren still finished 2nd not 3rd or lower

12. nOracle

nOracle What's a Dremel?

True, I missed the or 2nd bit.

13. RedFlames

Mr Masi, your bus is here...

14. javaman

Rock and hard place. Changing the results now looks as bad or worse than upholding them.

15. RedFlames

well... 'we did nothing wrong, which is why we're changing a bunch of stuff' has worked for Pirelli on multiple occasions in recent years.

16. javaman

"We designed them that way"

17. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I think they realised it was going to be a no win situation full stop and Mercedes were going to end up losing face through no fault of their own.

Reb bull moaned about mercedes protesting but roles reversed you know damned well they would have done the same so a little hypocritical.

I'm bored of it all now and have been for a while, I don't think I've watched a full race this season.

If I were verstappen I don't think I would be truly happy to win this way but I don't think he cares really.

I'd like Lewis to get his eighth but if I follow it at all next year I'll be routing for George and Lando.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Of course they won't appeal. There's no way in hell they'd get a change of verdict.

It was probably more about leverage for some undisclosed concession or to get Masi sacked.

The_Crapman likes this.
  20. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Is getting a bit old. If they reversed the decision it would be very very bad for the integrity of the sport. I feel bad for both Hamilton & Verstappen both drove a fantastic season , just **** it ended the way it did.

Who's going to be the new race director next year then? :naughty: