1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 13 Dec 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Is the poison dwarf not dead yet?

Shame.

2. RedFlames

[​IMG]

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Give it a couple or four years and they'll be sniffing around for some Russian money again.

4. RedFlames

In news that will shock precisely no-one -

5. RedFlames

Ricciardo's car for the rest of the season...

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Even with him going Mclaren will give him the best car they can, they want to beat Alpine and they'll still want him to do well. They're not Red Bull after all.

I ca nsee this being the end of Ricciardo, I can't think of another drive who's gone from so great to falling so flat (except maybe Rene Arnoux).

7. RedFlames

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

9. RedFlames

Apparently, it was a done deal before both McLaren and D-Ric said they were all good and one big happy family.

10. fix-the-spade

Porsche: So once we' own the team
    Red Bull: When you have a stake in our team.
    Porsche: We will be in charge
    Red Bull: You will provide financial, technological and logistical support as we continue to run the team.
    Porsche: We will dictate the direction of the company, hire drivers and make engineering decisions.
    Red Bull: Dietrich Mateschitz will decide the direction of the company, Christian Horner will control hiring and Adrian Newey remains in charge of all engineering decisions.
    Porsche: We fear there is a language barrier issue. We are giving you our specific instructions and you are not following them, are our instructions unclear?
    Red Bull: No, your requests have been perfectly clear...

That's how it's going down in my mind. At this point I actually think the return of Red Bull Honda is becoming more likely by the day. The Honda engine is good now, there is a budget cap for engine development coming and Honda's looking ta it more as a marketing excersize than engineering one.

Re: Piastri, nobody surprised. However I think this is the end of Ricciardo in F1. Gasly at Alpine, Red Bull jr in Alpha Tauri, GP2 hot shoe or Mick Schumacher at Haas/Williams respectively.

11. RedFlames

By all accounts that's how things typically go with Sauber too. Especially when Andretti was sniffing around.

12. fix-the-spade

Given that first Mercedes in the 90s then BMW in the 00s tried to more or less burn the place down on their way out, I'm not surprised Sauber's owners are very protective of it.

13. javaman

The Red Bull engine deal doesn't make sense. Going to those lengths to secure independance to essentially hand over the keys to the Kingdom and go back to a works deal that is at the whims of bean counters and suits.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Don't forget Red Bull has two teams, they could rebrand one of them to Porsche and hand it over while keeping the other one under their own control.

15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Even if they try going down that route, the team they'd try handing over is not the team Porsche wants.

Meanwhile, seems Danny Ric's F1 career is almost certainly over, as Gasly is slated for Alpine and Colton Herta to Alpha Tauri if he can get his super license. Danny may have to take Mclaren's proposal to drive for them in another series.

16. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I suspect they thought (as I did) that Porsche would be positively excited to have their name on the car at the front without demanding extreme levels of control!

Feels like they are missing a trick given the very obvious challenges faced by both engine or constructor manufacturers over the last ten years...

17. javaman

Red Bull just confirmed Gasly to Alpine tho Marko said that the move will be confirmed if Herta gets his super licence. Funny choice of words unless Marko has a literal chain round his ankle.

As for Riccardo, there still is the possibility of Williams and Haas. McLarens offer of another series really seems tempting tbh.

I'm wondering if that would be Andretti's way into the sport with maybe a deal to use Red Bull power Trains and a junior or two

Either way Porche's options seem to be narrowing to powering Williams next year, Buying Aston Martin or maybe enticing McLaren with a works deal

18. fix-the-spade

I don't see Williams or Mclaren biting for the same reasons Red Bull fell through. I can see Porsche getting Lawrence Stroll to sell up, but I also see Stroll's ego preventing him from doing that until he literally cannot afford to do anything else, Billionaires are historically poor at admitting to failure.

javaman likes this.
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That seems at odds with the mindset of someone making billions. The ability to see failure and cut it loose would be more conducive to success.

20. RedFlames

Not always, some get into the mindset that every move they make is correct - after all they're a billionaire and they must be doing it right. If there was a mistake [which there wasn't bc they're a billionaire and everything they touch turns to gold] then obviously someone else has made a mistake.