1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Bit-Tech Folding@Home Team (CLOSED: now superseded by joint CPC/bit-tech team)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Byron C, 2 Aug 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

You tell me
    "1850/2000"
    22s/frame
    1853/200 (estimate)"

2. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Firstly, welcome aboard!

Now.... it seems a little odd that you're being told you've completed 1853 of 200 frames. There's no way that a frame is taking 22 secs. The estimate thing is a little fishy also.

I had something like this when i was using the graphical client. Can you tell from the fahlog.txt if you're actually returning units?

If not you may have to delete the work folder and queue and start over... Also I don't suppose folding is installed in more than 1 folder on the same machine is it?

100 machines, even if they're not crunching 24/7 would make a huge difference to the team :thumb: just make sure that you clear it with your superiors as people have been fired in the past for installing distributed computing software without authorisation.

-----

Does anyone know if there's a way to set windows services just to run between set times?

@DaKind - The dual MP, Assuming they're something like 2400+s will be quicker than the xeon, especially if the xeon board isn't based on the 875 chipset. The xeon will use less power though I'd think. I've been thinking about trying to mod a couple of 2500 mobile bartons into MPs and getting them on the case.

The 2cpu forums are a great place for info on folding on dual setups.

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

...I just found out that if I restart...I lose everything that it has completed. I just updated Painkiller and restarted and I lost aeverything that it had been working on.

(here is a screen of what its doing now)

[edit]I just noticed that i typod my earlier post, it should have read "1853/2000," sorry[/edit]

4. jetsetjimbo

If I were you I'd forget the graphical client, unless you really want the prettyness and go for the client it's much more reliable and you can run it as a service so it'll be going even if there's no one logged onto the machine.

5. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

I've had a few wu's that were going at about 20s before. Considering that its 2000 frames that makes it about 12 hours which doesn't seem odd to me.

6. jetsetjimbo

Yeah, I didn't realise he had the amber units... I've only had gromacs and tinkers really.

7. DaKind420

DaKind420 What's a Dremel?

You can use the windows scheduler to start and stop the services. just use the "Net start servicename" and "Net stop servicename" in two different batch files and schedule the batch files.

Have to use it for the license logging service for some clients who don't have enough Windows CALS on their network, works like a charm.

8. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

im now folding.

and how do i tell what its doign, im running the graphical clien and i ran it and theres not window for it, i ran the text one and it sat at 0 of 152000 or sumthign like that for awhile

Last edited: 29 Jan 2005
  9. DaKind420

If you have both versions installed you should uninstall the graphical and delete the directory it was in. Install the text based one and run the config for it. Once it's installed you may have to reboot your machine to get it running, you can check the status with EMIII (look back a few pages in this thread and theres info on it) or just look at the unitinfo.txt file in the F@H directory, it has a percentage complete at the bottom.

Welcome to the team! What are the specs of your folding rig(s)?

10. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

i only got one compuer ATM and its the one in the siggy, but once i get a new nforce 2 mobo ill have a amd 1.3 512mb of ram

11. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Just wondering:
    Could a P2 with Rambus do any difference?
    I mean, that is a slow comp isn´t it?

12. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Any comp will make a difference, albeit a very small difference. Stick f@h on it anyway, it won't hurt.

_C

13. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Ive had a few AMBER cores, folding 2 at the moment. First 2 though, spose they come in pairs!!

Hopefully i'll have 2 more comps up and running soon, so that'll be 4 comps. another 2600XP+ barton and a PIII.

:thumb:

14. jetsetjimbo

Has anyone had any joy with Overclockix or any of the other custom linux distros? MrWonka did you give it a try?

Welcome to all the new members that has signed up but not posted in the thread! :)

We're still climbing, just slower than we were. Hopfully I should have a couple more systems on the go within a week or so.

15. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

I've been getting a File_IO_Error recently on my main folding rig:

[08:19:03] *------------------------------*
    [08:19:03] Folding@Home Gromacs Core
    [08:19:03] Version 1.70 (October 24, 2004)
    [08:19:03]
    [08:19:03] Preparing to commence simulation
    [08:19:03] - Assembly optimizations manually forced on.
    [08:19:03] - Not checking prior termination.
    [08:19:08] - Expanded 2911156 -> 16166417 (decompressed 555.3 percent)
    [08:19:08] - Error: Bad work unit. Digital signatures don't match
    [08:19:08] Error: Could not open work file
    [08:19:08]
    [08:19:08] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
    [08:19:12] CoreStatus = 75 (117)
    [08:19:12] Error opening or reading from a file.
    [08:19:12] Deleting current work unit & continuing...

Its happened twice in a row now, when resuming large p1140/1141 WU's. They were both worth 600 credits and I lost them about half way through, hence recent poor performance from me.

There are no problems if run constantly, and this machine has been running folding fine for months, it seems to be a compression/decompression issue when stopping and resuming. I've done chkdsk without errors/bad sectors, my HD is only six months old and doesn't show any other signs of problems.

I've removed the -forcasm flag to see if that solves it. I am also using -advmethods. Anyone else had this error?

Googling the problem suggests it could be anything from bad RAM to AVG interfering...

16. DaKind420

Have you been using advmethods the whole time or did you just start using it? When I was using it on my main rig i would lose about 1/5 WU's to them getting stuck at 99%.... Took it off and haven't had any problems. Wish I had a solution aside from that... If you're system is OC'd you may want to run Prime95 for a while and see if maybe the system isn't getting hung due to corrupt data from OCing... Prime95 will max the cpu and check the results of the data vs. known good results.

17. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

I've been using -advmethods for some time, a good couple of months. I'll get rid of that too if I get another error. Everything is at stock speeds, but if the problems persist I'll run Prime95, the system hasn't been tested with that for a while.

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I've just moved from CustomPC to BT, and am just setting up EMIII with the BT skin.

edit:
    got it going, with the skin.
    is there a smaller skin? and why am I having difficulty setting the transparency?
    and do I need to use it as a service, or just rely on the program starting it?
    thanks in advance...

Last edited: 1 Feb 2005
  19. jetsetjimbo

Welcome aboard.

You can adjust the format of the skin, there's a small button with what looks like a piece of paper on it to the right of the status, when you hover over it 'view change' pops up. There are several different settings.

I haven't tried to adjust the transparency... I have the command line console starting as services rather than leaving it to EMI.

@D4VID - Let us know if it ends up looking like the -advmethods switch was the route of the problem. Hopy you manage to get it sorted.

Edit: Has anyone noticed the stats here being a little off?

Seems that the days on there are getting shorter and shorter as far as the points over the last 1/7/14/28 days are concerned?

20. DonCorleone76

DonCorleone76 Modmaster deluxe

After reading this thread, i decided to join F@H as well,
    So expect so more WU's to ad up to the list :rock:

(Running P4,3.04Ghz,1G Ram) :naughty:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.