1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-tech has lost its spirit

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by RotoSequence, 19 Mar 2006.

1. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

You see that the noobs need to be guided, sometimes harshly. Pookey has the idea, you leach off those who know so that you may know.
    Typing is hard when your less than sober.

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

This is definitely a great idea - we can compile a series of pages that, if necessary, explain the specifications and what some of these things actually mean.

Being a wiki, it has a lot of room for expansion and I think that there should definitely be set sections where people can write of their experiences with the board to aid others' decisions.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I love the idea, but I also love the idea of a current "what system can my money buy" style page - say, 3 different systems (kick-ass, mid-range and cheapo) at different price points with the best components that money can buy at that price point. Excellent idea, whoever came up with it (think it was Will in his post, but may be wrong).

How are you getting on with your Internet Police, Roto? Got enough recruits yet (...imagines an online version of Police Academy... :rolleyes:)

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Images fail me (I havent seen police academy :worried: ) But Ive had plenty of people volunteer; its down to the selection process ;)

5. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Last edited: 31 Mar 2006
  6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Shouldn't it be wiki.bit-tech.net, not .com?
    :D

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

That is something that I was disappointed in, I thought bit-tech would have taken more interest in the CS:S server.
    Even a page or two about it would have been cool.

I also agree that the new project logs doesn't work, I really thought it would tbh, but they now seem dead, the discussion seem disjointed as you can no longer associate the context without jumping back and forth between the discussion thread and the project log.

There is the point many have also mentioned, the site has grown in size with over 22,000 members now.
    If you consider that even if 1% are annoying, when we were only 2000 strong that was 20 members, but now with 22,000 members that equates to 220 annoying posters.

8. DreamTheEndless

Doh!!!! :wallbash: :duh:
    (anybody want to buy some drill bits?)

9. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

We could in quite short time, id imagine, turn the wiki in to a really really ultra hardware/modding/electonics resource. Just have tons and tons and tons of info. Then we could instead of saying "OMG noob use google F T W" etc, we could just point htem tyo the wiki which will have shed loads of info on it.

10. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Yeah, it'd be great to have it have a reputation for the place to go when you need help and tutorials, and basic info.

11. DreamTheEndless

This is very ambitios, but if we pull it off, this could become a huge thing. It could concievably become THE internet destination for tech info the way imdb is pretty much the only location for film undustry info and crutchfield.com is used by many as a informational resource for consumer electronics etc. (By the way, if you have never been to crutchfield.com before, they sell car and home stereos, speakers, tvs, etc - the spec lists are complete and the large pictures are very large. For a while, it seemed like everyone selling a stereo on ebay got the pic from crutchfield. Anyway, enough with the off topic stuff....)

if the wiki has the chance of becoming such a large repository of information, do we want to consider some other names than the ones listed above? Perhaps techwiki.org or tech-wiki.org could be purchased?

12. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

or bit-wiki.net :D

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Names to consider

bit-wiki.net
    wiki-tech.net
    bit-tech-wiki.net
    wiki.bit-tech.net
    bit-tech.net/wiki
    techwiki.net
    wikitech.net

etc; lots of possible permutations ;)

14. DreamTheEndless

Yes, but wiki.bit-tech.net and bit-tech.net/wiki are the only two on that list that don't need to be purchased.

Also - what do you think we should do with the wiki discussion pages? Make them non-editable with a link pointing the user back to the forum?

15. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

IMO it should have the bit-tech name in it, but aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves here? Surely we have to write it first? :p

16. DreamTheEndless

To misquote a famous movie: If we build it they will come.

Yes, many of us will be responsible for the wiki content, but in an ideal world, the users will "write" a wiki for us - that's the whole point of a wiki

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

The wiki itself needs to be moderated in some way however... no good having it if it's full of erroneous info, and misleading stuff. As for the name, I agree with the post a few previous... it needs to be bit-tech/wiki or whatever... it needs to be identifiably bit-tech.

Yes, users will write it, but we have to have some sort of completed item up and running for people to visit, and add to.

We could start by every member of the task force.. whoever these are at this stage, to write about, review, summarise, whatever, any piece of quipment they own (so long as it's recent), or write a brief article on something in their particular field of expertise. That way we have enough copy to get the thing running at least. Unless we do this, then it will probably never progress beyond the talking stage.

18. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Thats my only concern.
    I would be willing to contribute whatever little knoweledge I have to a bit wiki.

19. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Yes, we do need to get some stuff written first. That way, people have something to add to. It is far easier to add to something than to start from scratch.

20. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Well.. when Roto has decided upon the "team"... we'll distribute tasks to various members of that team to put together the bare bones of the wiki, covering the essentials (CPU choice, MOBO choice, RAM choice etc), then once up and running, the community will breathe life into it, and one of the team (or all for that matter) can edit it accordingly to remove incorect, or misleading info.

Seams simple enough doesn't it?

Hows the short list going Roto?