1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-tech has lost its spirit

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by RotoSequence, 19 Mar 2006.

1. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Bring back the Test Forum. This place is far too serious these days.

On a more serious note ( :D ), I agree. I've been around for about 2.5 years now, and so many of the people I liked when I joined (part of the reason) have dissappeared. It's almost like a whole new forum, and if I found it today, I'm not even sure that I'd join.

2. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

I think the main problem is not with bit-tech, but with the higher level of modding. IE, recently I painted my keyboard and mouse. When I first came here, (a couple of years back, I joined quite a while after I started visiting reguarly) it probably would have been worthy of a post in the modding section. Now I didnt even mentioned (with quite a few people doing it, its hardly worth mentioning it).
    Just my 2 cents worth on the situation, I still like bit-tech being my morning read before I go off to uni.

3. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Back in the day the answer to that was "stealth your drives". I kinda got tired of that answer. When its said 100 times a day to individual people pretty soon everyone is doing it. Then is not modding. Its falling into a cliche.

This site has gotten bland. The community that cranked out intresting mods has either left or been drowned by the sea of new members asking how big of a powersupply they need.

4. MrMacomouto

MrMacomouto What's a Dremel?

The Op is 100% right, I don't know when I first joined (probable in my profile) but back then it was all about the orac.....

5. TMM

TMM Modder

cry cry.... I think its a general thing that modding has become alot more commercial and people are looking to bolt-on mods rather then modding things themselves.

6. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

i cant say i experienced the old days of Bit (a member for 1.5 years now i guess) but i can say it has changed over this period. Actually all the forums that i frequently visit have changed over the years. Some of them I stopped visiting because of all the things said above about this forum. They got too bland, too crowded with noobs, etc etc. But the funny thing is i didnt stop visiting Bit. Every day I hope to find something that can get my attention, that gets me gooing ones again. I remember the nights that I stayed up and read a whole project log through the night. those were the glory days for me.

As for now, I do find it hard to keep interest in all the modding thats gooing on. Part of this has to be the new system of dividing project logs and discussions. I always find myself opening up two browsers next to each other (dual displays is a must for me now for reading on Bit) and cruising through the projects.

Also the fact that it has been ages since a project from the project logs has been featured in the main page as an article. Most of the articles in modding are casereviews or projects that dont had or have a projectlog on the site. I understand that not every mod can come from Bit itself but I feel there are good enough mods over at the project logs that deserve an article. It is nice to get some recognition and i do think it brings the forum a bit closer. At the moment the modding page and the forum page are two seperate things for me. There is no relation between them whatsoever. (If i am correct the last project from the forum that made it on the modding page is ZAp's Wooden Ipod and thats allready from july 05.)

As for modding finding a quick death because of all the premods and nothing more to innovate. I dont think that is true. Modding will be evolving as long as people keep using there creativity. I know my creativity wont stop me from modding :)

just my 2 cents

greetz,
    Joungne

7. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I do have to agree on many of the points raised by the other members on the forums.

When i first joined i enjoyed reading the mods and everything inbetween, but when the project logs got split i had lost most intrest and it also complicated matters when wanting to look at the process but also wanting to read the comments which may actually provide some usefullness to both the reader and the modder.

I do like what you guys have done in terms of splitting certain areas such as hardware into more specific Vid/htpc/sff areas.

then again modding was more underground back in the day and as im still a noob compared to some of the other members here i still enjoy the thrill of creating sumthing but as others have said modding has become quite comercial. And with "commercial" things, the value of the actual art is devalued as pretty much anyone with a few hours spare and a few "pre-modded" items can pimp the case out without any such trouble or skills required back a few years ago where everything was a experiment. I believe the community needs to evolve otherwise it will be a lost "art form".

One other thing that grinds my gears is the sudden influx of "noobies" and "spammers" who dont add anything or just cause more headaches than most in the forums. tis true some of them are here actually to learn but others are here just to mess arround and piss the others off. Another thing im quite sad at is the decreasing ammount of the older members posting like Dad, zapwizard, lorquis and others... people who have been round for ages yet rearly seen in ages.

I havent been around here for that long and ive seen many changes and many people...it would be really sad if this forum went way of the DoDo.

8. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Penski and MrPlow also spring to mind

9. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

One thing that I miss are the indepth product reviews.

More specifically the build pictures. Take case reviews for example, there are lots of nice pictures which are normally just like the ones you find on the manufacturers home page. I like to see case reviews with build pictures so you can really get a good idea as to how good the case layout is. (Arctic Cooling Case aside because that showed the build pics...okay but the case is two years old)

This does not just go for cases either, what happened to all of the testing process pictures? Where are the multi meters showing psu voltages and temp probes showing the CPU temps?

It seems to me like a lot of the reviews are hypothetical, I'm not sure that many of the hardware reviews actually take place!

I do respect the Bit-tech crew for trying to bring so much new content on a daily basis though.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Are you seriously saying we make stuff up? Cause I know the guys worked 12 hour days 6 or 7 days a week at the beginning of this month.

11. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I'm not saying that its all fictional, but I do belive that some of it is!

The site is now aimed at a more main stream audience, which is in some respects fine, I realise your trying to make money! But the site has undoubteldly lost the "Enthusiast Edge" and it needs this back quick!

You need to do something to prevent the same PSU questions every 5 seconds in the forums, and stickys are not going to do it!

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

zr_ox, youre ignorant to believe some of that work is fictional. Bit-tech isnt Toms, it isnt Anandtech, and it isnt Hexus. They actually TAKE time to do the hardware reviews - and all the information presented IS factual.

Bit-tech is still targetting the enthusiast, though the incorporation of a larger audience is weakening it. But honestly zr_ox, I dont think you truly see the problem here, as demonstrated in your belief that the hardware guru's (namely Tim "Bigz" Smalley) dont work hard. I can assure you, he does a lot more every day for hardware reviews than many do in a full time job.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

None of it is fictional. None. :grr:

14. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

few things:

1. i hope im not a n00b :p

2. I voted FOR the project logs to be spilt, but in retrpspect, i think they were better how they were. i tend to read a log and not bother going to the disscusion cos i 'cant be bothered' or if i do post, i forget that as i dont goto the disscusion forum directly, only from peoples log's links

3. Why isnt Franklins case on the front page??? it should be it is upto/above orac imo.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks man, it's nice to know that my 80-hour plus 7 days-a-week schedule is appreciated! :sigh: :grr:

16. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Rather than comment on how potentially insulting this could be, I have a question...

zr_ox, would you do me a favor and PM me (if you don't feel like posting it in here) what would give you such an impression? I mean, it's incorrect, but clearly SOMETHING gave you that indication, and I'd like to know what it was or is. Needless to say, that's something that we simply can't just brush off, as our credibility is VERY important to our reviews.

17. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

A quick note concerning the project logs... Would it be better if updates were posted both to the "clean" project log and to the log in the discussion thread? That way, all the updates would be right there for people to "OMG that's awesome!" over, and those of us who've missed a really great project can open up the updates-only thread, and catch up to speed without having to sift through pages of "OMG that's awesome!".

18. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

You must have missed this then:

I will PM you Da Dego.

19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Splitting the project logs from the comments killed the modding section. You could look at the amount of views and comments to judge if a mod was good or not. The star system is too easily abused to be usefull.

Everyone is entitled to post a project log as to the beginner the simplest of mods is an achievment and one they want to share. However i want to be able to take a quick look at the project forum and choose some projects to look at but now its endless repeats of the same. Even a way of sorting the projects by popularity would help the situation.

Dutch cedar nailed it for me though. In my projects i love the feedback as it encourgaes you and can often make you think in ways you never considered before. Splitting the logs has stopped input from other users which has made a massive effect on the community spirit imo. I know the mods must be sick of people asking them to change back to the old system but i think its something that they must do. At the very least could you not run the old system and new side by side for a while and see which ones most popular.

Now i am used to the change in direction Bit went through i actually quite like it and theres some great stuff on the site but some more modding on the front page would be a great thing. if the staff writers dont have the time put mods from the forum up there.

20. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Oops...I must have forgotten to write that I dont think they work hard!!....When did I say that?

Was just going to post to Da Dego but its not offensive and its my opinion of positive changes so here you all go:

Okay where do I start? Firstly apologies if you or the other staff feel insulted by my comments...it was not my intention.

I'm obviously not one of the longest standing members here, but in my time here I have seen some major changes. Today bit-tech is a more diluted community, certainly in comparison to when I first joined.

Bit-tech started life primarily as a community for modders and gear heads (in a non narcotic sense). Since the move to the new format, the more enthusiast oriented community has dispersed. I believe the reason for this is that you are trying to make money out of the website. You obviously have to try and attract a wider audience, which is fine but don’t forget the older members!

The biggest change seems to be the lack of interest in the Modding scene. Previously this was bit-techs forte, showcasing some of the best mods for the world to see. It's so rare these days to see anything modding related. Looking under the modding section you are presented with hardware reviews...scroll to the bottom of the page and you find the mods! How do standard PC case reviews represent modding? The modding scene is a lot more main-stream today which is in my opinion great. There is a whole load of stuff out there which is not worthy of the front page, but there are also some great mods which never see the light of day…..this has to change.

Now back to my original idea behind why I think that some of the hardware reviews are not based on actual testing. First and foremost what happened to the build pictures? Lets take cases as a prime example, where is the hardware? The cases have been disassembled and reassembled and they get your “Editor Choice” award. The review explains how convenient it is to insert the motherboard and DVD drives. How good the case is for cable routing. Why take pictures of the case in pieces without the hardware, then insert all of the hardware and continue the review? As potential end users of this hardware we want to know how our cases will look assembled. We want to know how well the case caters for different cooling setups including air and water. For a long time now you have been just displaying images. Displaying new cases with actual hardware installed is a more realistic test and it shows us so much more. Showing a case modded to accept an H20 loop would really help bring the enthusiasts back again. Even if the H20 loop is the simple Swiftech Apex Kit., we want to see real world tests! A picture tells a thousand words….and your descriptions will reinforce these, given the right circumstances.

Please bare in mind that I did not say “all” of the reviews are hypothetical. I think your Graphics card reviews are some of the best.

There are also far fewer hardware reviews, a lot of GPU’s but far fewer CPU’s, motherboards, memory and PSU’s? Its not like there is a lack of new hardware!

I know it’s not right to copy anything necessarily but I think there is something you could borrow from http://www.gruntville.com/kingofthehill.php and that is their “King of the hill” section. We all want to know what the best is? “King of the hill” would be a great way of presenting it. Considering that you review hardware for all price ranges you could present it in exactly that format. This would certainly help clear up many of the “same old, same old” questions in the forums.

Concerning power supplies, why not consider running something like the article they did over at http://www.extremetech.com. These kind of guides would significantly help address to noob factor.

You need to start frying some hardware, run some overclocking articles with Bigz’s bottomless pit of Bleeding Edge equipment! That’s sure to impress!

Peace and love