1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-tech has lost its spirit

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by RotoSequence, 19 Mar 2006.

1. Endoxus

Endoxus What's a Dremel?

<removed>

Last edited: 3 Jan 2021
  2. Endoxus

Endoxus What's a Dremel?

Roto, i'm not going to link to specific mods, that would be a bit mean to those people who put thier time into it. im not targeting specific people here, they still make an effort, they still take time to write their efforts up, i still commend them for doing it, i'm saying that the community has to be a little more selective on who we give a 5 star rating to. as i said before, the pre-made mods have their place, it's just not in the 5 star area.

3. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Well, Nexxo has had a brilliant mod in the pipeline for a couple of years now, you only have to look at the log to see the amount of interest it has received. I'm not sure why it hasn't been transferred to the main site, perhaps in two parts so he could post up the second half once it's completed.

I'll just echo my last post, it's great Bit-Tech are doing hardware reviews (which are second to none) but I think the site seriously lacks content in the form of mods! Perhaps a member of staff should be assigned the duty of checking the Project Logs for mods worthy of being featured on the site?

4. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Perfect ! :D

5. Endoxus

Endoxus What's a Dremel?

This is a difficult subject. bit-tech is still a great place. we still have great mods, and have good reviews, but i think that the old school modding has just disappeard. why cannot staff mod some more??? reduce the reviews a little and spend some time actually modding these products.

i understand how much hard work has to go into this site, and the reviews are great, but lets get back to modding.

why dont we invite macroman back for a mod of all mods. give him bleading edge hardware, a generous budget and let him create something earth shattering. something that all of bit tech can be blown away with. once again become the world leaders.

look at what other sites are doing. they are not resting, they are pushing the edge. getting the best hardware, and then hacking it up to create something insane. why are we contempt with just pushing out hardware reviews and not actually modding anything! am i the only one who misses the great staff mods????? mods that actually (dare i say it) get posted on the front page!!!!

someone said something about "mod of the month", maybe you should look into something like that. a monthly showcase of the best of the best out there, give credit to the people who are pushing the limits.

i vote Macroman is invited back to make a last stand and create something that will shock everyone. lets try and put the modding back into a modding website!

6. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Dave doesn't need to be invited back, he does still work here :)

Just echoing Wil's post however, this is all being taken on board and being discussed so don't worry that your comments are falling on deaf ears.

Watch this space.

7. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

LOL....THE old mens Club.......ehehehheheh sign me up :rock:

8. Endoxus

Endoxus What's a Dremel?

I'm gald to see that staff are reading this thread.

please guys, let us know your thoughts. do any of you miss actually modding something. is it not important anymore?

i for one would really like to hear from some staff members about where they think bit-tech is heading. do they like this direction? would they just love to overclock intels new toy into oblivion, or strap a freezer onto the newest nvidia offering? give us some feedback guys. i used to love it when one of you guys pushed out a new mod, why has this stopped? has bit-tech out-grown itself?

just think, you guys get the best hardware in the world, combined with some of the best modders in the world, you could do projects that no-one would ever be able to touch. think of the glory. 5 years ago no company cared if you did something amazing, but now....... do something world class and they beat a path to your door. think of the sucess of Orac, world class, and innovative. huge sucess. you guys are in the prime position to create something that will make our (and the rest of the worlds) jaws drop.

9. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

I registered myself only yestarday :D but i follow bit-tech since 2002,and like some of us i think Bit-Tech canged a lot.
    Once "Bit-tech" was synonym of modding at 100% ,today (imho) "Bit-tech" is concerning more to hardware than pure modding like once.
    I think this change is a "natural" thing that happened in many forums smaller and less famous than Bit-tech.
    Like someone said before "change or die" or something like this :p so it was necessary to change .
    In a very first time i considered the division of log section and the discussion one a good thing but with time i changed my opinion in a bad one.
    Is more interesting reading comment in the same thread and also give "charge" to the modder to kepp on working....
    For the noobs there is only one way if the usen't the search engine....... dremelize their brain :dremel: :D

In conclusion , i hope in a unique worl log section and more attention in the home page to the modding section.

ciao :D
    (if you find mistakes dont dremelize me :worried: )

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I have to say I thought of this thread when I saw This post. I don't know if it was an attempt at sarcasam or not, but stuff like this certainly sounds like what some people are complaining about in modding.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Honey attracts flies as well as bees, I guess. In any case that one has been removed. We strongly discourage that sort of stuff. That sort of schoolboy humour is not funny, it is not clever, and it is so very, very tedious. A repeat violation will earn the party involved a ban. :grr:

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

WeldZilla, how old IS that thread? I would imagine it is more than a LITTLE old. Second off, I am working on a mod; I need to get more money before I can continue it though. I feel the points I have brought up are valid; bit-tech has changed for the worse, and something about it needs to be done at the staff end. As far as modding problems, I am echoing the community consensus from the likes of Nexxo, Bindibadgi, Wil Harris, and the several others you see in this thread.

Now Weldzilla, are you done with self righteous rants, and do you have anything more constructive to say beyond "do a mod?"

13. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Comes on guys, stop pissing on each others chips, we've got the mods attention lets offer some good ideas for consideration :)

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yes, please keep the thread civil.

15. WeldZilla

WeldZilla What's a Dremel?

Well since you are falling back on the old I am doing a mod but, I need more money. Which means you aren't doing anything. The only constructive thing I can think of is for you to leave for awhile like say a few months. you know kinda take a step back and look at things from a different perspective. If after a few moths you need more time well then hey leave for a few years. that way if you come back you will have a whole new fresh perspective. You know the whole "Older and Wiser" thing. Hey it will be great for you. Don't worry about the forum you love so much you have begun to trash. It will muddle through. So go ahead and take off don't even look back. Get started on that vacation from the forum right now today!! Hey I think it is already starting to make me feel better too. Wow this is great you should have left long ago!!

WZ

16. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

First of all

WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP ARGUING

Now with that being said, I agreee with OP. The forums have lost that spirit of modding and while there are plenty of cool projects in the logs I hardly ever catch any of them since I usually dont have the time to go through and read them all. I also miss the old days of when the logs and comments were together, and when almost all the news was about the amazing projects coming from these forums.

17. WeldZilla

Hey I am not arguing. I am trying to lighten roto's mood. It's a dream to think any of these forums are going to stay even close to the same over time. Yes in some ways it is a shame. But with more and more people jumping on the bandwagon you will actually see that those of us that are computer geeks in the purest form are getting over-run by computer users. People now rush out buy a pre-modded case and holler at everyone to look at it after they put in a light and some lit fans. Most of the time they have not even managed their wires. I find that most don't want to read and learn they just want the answers. That is the group of people that really piss me off. I came up with computers in a time when there was nobody to just go ask. So you read books. Yeah that's right books!!! There were no magazines really out then. I got started into building cuz if you wanted a computer you had to buy a kit and build it.
    If you wanted more memory you had better be handy with a soldering iron. And for mme that is where it took off. Word got out that I was really good at soldering. Soon I was helping guys to learn to solder and installing memory. I did my first window in 1991
    I did not think of it as a "mod" It was a way to show people inside a computer case and explain to them "Mostly kids" what was in there. I did not have a light in the case. I had a flashlight by the case! That is when I fist started wire management, afterall you had to make sure people could see in and not have their view obscured by wires. For me customizing was born as a learning tool. Well anyway I think the biggest difference in forums are the people that go to them now. they are different so the forums are different. Quite frankly I agree with all of you that long for those early forum days again.

WeldZilla

18. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

If you were trying to lighten my mood, you failed miserably ;)

My point is that as things stand, the old days of modding wont be able to return unless some major changes are made. I think we can all agree on that.

19. WeldZilla

Yes but, I did lighten my mood. My point is they are never going to return. Never, you are not going to turn back the hands of time. Bleak? maybe but that's the way it is

WZ

20. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

Sometimes I wonder... when our 'puters are the size of our old HP-35's (iPods for the younger bunch), will we even care about modding?

Heck, I've been playing with the idea of a RAID5 solution that uses those new-fangled Mometus notebook drives... it'll be tiny... and store 400GB :hip: Will my eyes that need reading glasses even notice the "mod"?

Meh... but this discussion is less about the modding itself and more about Bit though, right? :idea: