1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-tech has lost its spirit

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by RotoSequence, 19 Mar 2006.

1. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Bit-tech is back , better than ever :D

Of course!!
    You'll see Dot_Kappa in action :hip: :D

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I agree on Whisperwolf's idea... make this a link on the front page... it is after all huge news... And to the Mods, the EIC, and the newly formed CT's.. my humble thanks go to all of you.. :thumbs:

3. ajiKaBooM!

ajiKaBooM! What's a Dremel?

I posted a thread about this in general discussion before. I noticed.

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

:clap: Excellent news Will. It is fantastic to see such a positive response from the Bit crew on what can be a sensitive subject. I'm looking forward to the changes. :thumb:

5. macroman

macroman The One

I guess I had better clear some bench space then. ;)

6. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Yes, yes you should :D Welcome back to the forums Macroman; I havent seen you around for awhile ;)

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

All good reading... basically though, Bit-Tech is what WE as the community members make it. All communities change.. have good and bad periods etc. I've been a member for a few years now, and I think what we need is more of the spirit that's on the ICQ channel back in here. Lots of the old timers that don't frequent here very much are still regulars in there.. it wouldn't take much to get things back to how they were.

Besides.. all the suggestions already made in this thread will go a long way to making some good changes. However.. let's not loose sight of the fact that Bit is stgill a great forum, community, and website, and there's a great deal of negativity in here, which I feel is unwarranted. I'm still as passionate about Bit as I ever was, and after a 12 month absence, yes I saw some differences, but it's essentially still Bit, and most of the crowd I grew to respect and admire are still here; still doing a great job.. let's not forget that. Bit still rocks.

8. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

[​IMG]

Gogo Community TaskForce

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

You need to Die :hehe:

At least make my head smaller :worried:

10. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Thats great stuff. :hehe:

11. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

I just threw together a sample wiki hardware article as it might apear in a bit-tech wiki.
    http://srenob.cryptomeme.com/wiki/ABIT_AN8_32X

I realize that it needs polish, but as a rough idea, tell me what you guys think.

-------------------------------------------
    Edit:
    Of course, things like "Abit" would be set up as categories so that clicking on the word "Abit" would take you to a page that listed all articles in the Abit category. Same with "Athlon 64FX", "Athlon 64", and "Athlon X2"

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Brilliant idea, DreamTheEndless; a complete hardware archive would be EXCELLENT :thumb:

13. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

How 'bout the worklog forums... when do y'all think they'll be revamped and ready for some new stuff from salivating 'puter modders sittin' on ready?

14. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I think it looks good. Just throwing together a general hardware wiki is a great idea, then whenever anyone has a common question they just get linked.

And are you the one on the left or right Roto? :hehe:

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Agreed! Make heavy use of that "articles linking to this page" feature I suppose. Leaves some room for semi-formal user reviews as well; a compilation of experiences.

16. Pookeyhead

Just glad he never got hold of a pic of me.

The WIKI is a great idea, and in the absence of anything better, I suggest we go with that, especially as someone has taken teh time to get something off the ground already. Whatever reduces the repetetive "What's the best chip for overclocking" type threads that appear almost daily has to be a good thing. Get something introduced ASAP, and fine tune it on the fly rather than sit around debating what may or may not be best... that's what I say.

17. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

If we're lucky, it will also stop some of the newbies from registering altogether - though hopefully not the good ones :worried:

18. Pookeyhead

Ohhh... be careful there. We were ALL n00bs once, and imagine if we were ALL dissuaded from joining? New blood is the life force behind any organisation or community. The British Ham Radio scene is suffereing because of this... the "old guard" wanting to restrict n00bs, and as a result, it's just a bunch of old men slowly dying off. At 38 I'm considered "young" in that particular arena. I'd hate to see Bit go the same way.

19. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I'll have to agree with that, especially since many of here might be experts in one area, and complete noobs in the other. I for example, don't know the first thing about electrical circuits and i can't program for beans but i'll give anyone a run for their money in fabrication. we're all here for a common goal, to get better and show off our projects so its good to feed off of each other's expertice in their respective areas.

20. Pookeyhead

Preciseley. I'm poor at programming, and networking, but I suppose I can, without arrogance, consider myself something heading towards an expert in terms of hardware and system building and other areas too. The only thing that stops me behaving like a newb in the networking forum is my experience overall with Bit-Tech. If I posted first in networking when I first came on, got treated like a newb and ostracised, I might never have come back.

Newbies need mentoring, and guiding, not given the cold shoulder.

We all agree that wiki is the way forward then?

Last edited: 31 Mar 2006