1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Bit-Tech/Intel NUC Competition] Tooobular, with 3 ooo's --Finished, Pg. 4--

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 31 Jul 2013.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Warning: May contain 7 ooos, and finally get a second page.

[​IMG]
    -Mutant thumb! -err, These are the centers of the 'hinge' parts I've cut so far. Unlit, they look fairly solid...
    [​IMG]
    -But if you add a little light, The new ones are obvious.
    [​IMG]
    -This is a shot of the last of my black plastic. I lucked out and found a few bits still mounted to MDF I could use too.
    [​IMG]
    -I don't remember tiny grooves being in the original sketch.:eyebrow:
    [​IMG]
    -It looks like some kind of high-tech skillet, but it's only 2 inches across.
    [​IMG]
    -Gee, I wonder what this part could be? -I screwed up here and had to re-do these pilot holes. The countersink obliterated them. To make matters worse, they were supposed to be through holes, so I could have done the whole thing with an 1/8" bit.
    [​IMG]
    -Too much stuff in the way.
    [​IMG]
    -This is the fan hole-thing. I didn't want to starve the fan, and had no idea what it's exact position was. I opted for a giant, :)lol: 2 1/2") fan intake.
    I'm at the stage where oil starts oozing into the chips. I bet the recyclers love me.:D Folks, you are looking at a future I-phone6 down there.
    [​IMG]
    -That's a nice shot of the spot I used to zero the bit's Z position. I move the bit down in tiny increments until it touches the plastic. You can see the 1/8" bit's circle next to the bevel bit's mark.
    [​IMG]
    -My head was in the right place for some of the coding. The inner bevel is much lighter and lines up with the countersunk screw holes. You can see this is made with some of the black/brown material. I might as well use it for the all-black parts, right?
    [​IMG]
    -Man, am I getting some mileage out of that bit of scrap, or what?:D You can see the over-beveled power button and it's freshly made replacement here. The beveling on the failed button was so brutal, the plastic twisted a bit on the tape. -Anyway, It turns out I have a good use for this part anyway...
    [​IMG]
    -Have some parts. There's a fan guard riser in this pic that was from the previous picture's session, and my stealth button.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2013
  2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very nice parts cheaps. :)
    It's awesome how scraps really become useful on a small project. :D

3. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Progressing nicely. Keep'm coming, Cheaps!

4. Cheapskate

Thanks.:D
    @Waynio - It was designed around a piece of scrap pipe too.:lol:
    @Silicon - I have a backlog of 6 updates and I plan on posting in a timely manner. I'm worried I still might not fill the allotted time period, though...

5. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

:eeek:
    Cheaps having a BACKLOG of updates? That's actually possible without the universe exploding?

6. Cheapskate

It happens when you burn through a build this fast. I have the monitor bracket and some cosmetic tweaks left. Everything else was done last Monday.

7. Asouter

Asouter --------

What!!! Cheeps is holding back stuff ?? surely you must mean someone else :D

8. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Hey Cheaps, what drive are you going to use with this? I think i have a spare 4 gig mini pci drive laying around if you want it. I might even have some ram that might work. Let me know.

9. Cheapskate

@Asouter -Blame putobucket. It's now easier to type up an update in advance and paste the pic link over file name numbers.
    @Furball -There's a 30 gig msata drive in the contest kit. My big issue is I don't have a HDMI monitor to do a first boot.:lol: I had to dig out a HDMI cable, (Yes, I have two 40 gallon crates of cables, most I don't know what they go to,) and I'm heading to a friend's tonight that has a HDMI monitor, but no cable.:lol: How did the Luddite get into this hobby?

Edit: Booted, but should have taken a usb hub too.:lol:

Last edited: 24 Aug 2013
  10. Cheapskate

critter-cally nearing 8 ooos

@Furball -BTW, Thanks for the offer.:D

[​IMG]
    -Now, the backside of my button has to sit flush with the surface of the case, and have enough room to move and click the tactile switch.
    I have to put a pocket on the underside of the button mount to do this. To center the cut, I have the failure button.
    [​IMG]
    -Despite it's looks, it still fits perfectly in the hole it was made for. I marked out the exact center of the underside, and placed it in the button mount.
    [​IMG]
    -Gotta figger out what size hole I need...
    [​IMG]
    -The switch mount mounted in my tiny vise. I use a really pointy dremel bit to center up on the scratches I made.
    [​IMG]
    -The hard part was getting the bad switch OUT of the hole so I could mill.:lol: This pocket is milled to .0775"
    [​IMG]
    -While I had tiny vise out, I milled some more scrap for making motherboard risers. I needed to get the height of these finalized before I could make the I/o cutouts.
    [​IMG]
    -Just some manual cutting. Mill the hack sawed edge level, then flip the part and even up the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    -Since the mobo mounts are insanely close to the edges, I might as well use the risers to square up the plastic too. I milled the edges nice and square. That gives me at least 2 risers with 90 degree edges. There's a lot of material to remove yet. The NUC's riser area is about a 1/4" diameter.
    [​IMG]
    -Still haven't figured out what the replacement color is? here's a hint. This should be the last gluing session, unless I screw something up.:worried:
    [​IMG]
    -This batch must have spent a long time laying up against a wall or something. I had to mash them down for gluing because they were so warped.
    [​IMG]
    -I got the 2nd batch of NUC parts in the mail, and a dose of 3mm LEDs happened to show up at the same time. Yeah, we're still in the first week. Log time passes slower.
    I thought the itty-bitty box for the hard drive was hilarious, by the way. I think I have my next gag gift idea: I can fill it with Easter hay and a breath mint, and call it the cheapest Hickory Farms gift box in the catalog.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2013
  11. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Youre welcome, i thought this was a 'garbage' build and you might need parts :)

12. Cheapskate

Nah, that's that other build I cranked out a while ago... "GG"-something?:lol:

13. Cheapskate

with far too many ooos -I think there's 9, but I can't count sober...

-Gotta step up the updatin' I think... Waynio is running update circles around me.

[​IMG]
    -More lead for Slipperyskip.:D The pallets have taken a beating and need flattened too.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's an odd bit of trivia I'm sure some builder will like: 2 1/2" OD stainless pipe is a perfect fit with 2" schedule 40 pvc pipe. A little pvc glue, a little silicone... Someone could make a neat-O reservoir.:naughty:
    [​IMG]
    -Notes, notes and more notes. I'm so glad I'm at a stage I can toss them.
    [​IMG]
    -I cut the I/O plate with a 3/32" bit.
    [​IMG]
    -My eyes! They burn! I couldn't get a shot of it, but my ports are not quite right. The measuring can get a little vague when the HDMI port tilts a tiny bit 'n stuff. There's nothing I can't fix with a little filing, though. That will wait until after the enclosure is glued together.
    [​IMG]
    -I labeled this part the "plain side." It has a slot in it so light can pass through to the perpendicular layer that wraps around the outside to the front.
    [​IMG]
    -That palette is done. I used some 'cheap' blue tape and the weaker glue, but it still stuck well enough to rip a big hole in the MDF. I'm cheapskate, and the old pallets are used to patch drywall.
    [​IMG]
    -The touchscreen arrived, and it's heavier than all the other parts combined. I may have a problem.
    [​IMG]
    -It's bigger than the NUC, too. -of course, everything is.
    [​IMG]
    -Milling out that horizontal wrap-around-thing. I opted for a wider cut channel so the pass closest to the part would only use a tiny part of the bit. This gives a cleaner cut, and it much more likely to be a 90 degree surface too.
    [​IMG]
    -Plexi guts?
    [​IMG]
    -The rest of the material is for the top of the NUC enclosure. I've tossed the bevel bit up there to remind me to bore out the USB port hole. At 3/8" thick, there's no way I'd get a plug in there without a bevel.
    [​IMG]
    -I found a new spot for bananaman! Yeah! Space monkey was tossed on top of the Z-axis motor. When ever there's a rough cut, his head spins around like Linda Blair.:lol: Hey, I gotta do something while I'm working the pump.
    [​IMG]
    -There we go, a nice bevel to pass bulky USB devices through.
    [​IMG]
    -So I have all of the enclosure parts but the BIG one. -That one's going to be a devil to fit in my little mill.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2013
  14. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I think I really really like this project Cheap!! Hard to tell with all those acrylic flakes everywhere though :dremel:

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looking awesome cheaps, love the fact it's an all in one system, progressing along nicely. :D:dremel:

Banana man :D

16. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

finally got to peek at this build, and just another validations that cheap's designs and builds still rule...

17. Cheapskate

Thanks!:D
    @QuizzKid - Yeah, it's a real mess in the workroom. I've been putting off cleanup.:worried:
    @Waynio -The downside is it's a cable octopus when running.:( -Hate it when the cables are bullying the little case.
    @Bill -:D

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

You guys could always make an agreement, and decide to post final pics without cables ?

I hate the things too

Nice build cheeps, still keeping us in suspense

19. Cheapskate

and the ooos maxxed out the title space.:(

At this point, I'm willing to yell "finished" without an OS. -Ever try to install drivers on Linux, with no previous experience? Windows is too FAT for the harddrive too.
    -Anyway, I'm having a lot of f.u.n. trying to find a Linux distro that runs the touchscreen...
    This update is kinda chunky too. We're getting into the important stuff.

[​IMG]
    -This is the closest I could get to the obligatory pet pic. I've procured a touchscreen and it appears to work...in Vista. I have no clue what is going on the NUC module yet.
    [​IMG]
    -When I milled out the panel I just made a 1/4" placeholder hole for the switch. I needed to file out a bit to get the tactile switch in place.
    [​IMG]
    -My work is ugly under the skin.
    [​IMG]
    -Here I've put the button parts together and have the switch resting on the back of the button.
    [​IMG]
    -Some people use epoxy, but I want that switch to STAY there.:D -So at the local heroin den, there's these people giving out free needles... Just kidding! They were used for small pox treatment.
    [​IMG]
    -All glued up. The extra in the syringe was used to to add some more threads for the screws.
    [​IMG]
    -The base is right at my maximum part width. For some crazy reason, I thought the best fit on the mill was to center the pallet.:lol: I forget things and have to re-learn the hard way.
    [​IMG]
    -Here I am set as far forward as I can go. The rubber crud guard on the back has to be able to wiggle between the post and the work or you can expect a crash.
    What you don't see is the blurry pictures of the part moved to it's maximum forward position. There's a point when the Y-axis motor mount strikes the table. You couldn't put a piece of paper between the two when I was cutting this part.-Scary!
    [​IMG]
    -I thought a simple square would be boring for a base. I ended up with some kind of dog-treat shape.
    [​IMG]
    -The slight bevel look is good too.
    [​IMG]
    -Full bevel. The hole you see is for a 4-40 socket cap screw. I figure this little guy should be bolted down since the touchscreen is the heaviest part. For now, they will serve as decorative ornaments.
    [​IMG]
    -It's getting crowded over there. I need the drill press for...well, drilling holes. The glittery makup case was left by someone, (Some women need a brush, some need glue and spackling,) and it seemed perfect for mill bit storage. Think of all the little makeup tube compartments, but with bits instead.:D
    -I figured I should explain it before someone called me out on my Barbie case.
    [​IMG]
    -Aaaaaannd the very first drilling went wrong somehow. I'm not sure what happened, but it felt like the bit glanced off the middle layer, and started boring over toward the soft glue seam. You can see that the hole is oblong here. Fortunately, that was the only hole that went odd.
    [​IMG]
    -The second hole went much easier. You can see I'm still drilling with water assistance.
    [​IMG]
    -I tapped these out 6-32 and mounted the bracket to the base.
    [​IMG]
    -It's invisible, but a pretty countersink is still a god idea. That suspicious object in the foreground is my water bottle. They are sold for glue application, and was in no way salvaged from the medical waste bin at the hospital down the street.
    [​IMG]
    -I have to drill and tap all those pilot holes I milled at this point too.
    [​IMG]
    -See. I'm tapping them. The threads are so tiny, I have to oil up and clean the tap every few turns. (I oil the tap too.:worried:)
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a teaser shot of the assembled "toilet seat"/fan intake.
    [​IMG]
    -I gotta make some screw holes for the risers. It's nice that you can see what you are doing for these.
    [​IMG]
    -Makes tapping a lot easier too.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2013
  20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Pet pic made me laugh :lol::clap: looking good cheaps. :)