1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-tech & Mathemathics

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Glider, 22 Sep 2006.

1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I don't know about you, but I'm really getting fed up with all the <SERIOUS SELF SENSORSHIP> mathemathic questions. Bit-tech is a PC enthousiast site & forum, not a maths forum...

I'm voting for a ban for all kids (because they mostky are <15) who just join this forum for simple math questions and an addition in the forum rules that this site isn't about maths.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm fed up with kids who are too lazy to do their own coursework.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We like to let democracy take its course on this (we're probably the only community that still does... :p ). If members object, they can simply ignore the requests. They will then go away. :)

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah, I usually do, but if you type in a maths question in Google, Bit-tech is allready high in the recommended list...

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Huh?! We rank for giving people math homework help? :hehe:

Seriously, that is odd...

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Honestly though, who really gives a ****? (Apart from Gild, obviously).

If the thread doesnt interest you, dont click, dont read, dont respond. Why should we be nazi's about one thread type? Why not "see this youtube video" or "look at this mod"?

6. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Bindi, I wish you'd put your Nazi hat back on and start nuking some sigs :p

Just do as above and ignore the threads, heck, I never see them anyways as I reckon they don't pop up in GD. I assume they're just in the exams forums but I ignore it completely.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you see a silly sig TELL ME THEN. Contray to popular belief Im not EVERYWHERE. Im 90% omnipotent.

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I agree ;)

Well, it seems that I'm the only one that's bothered about it, so I'll just put on my /ignore face... I just don't think people that join Bit-tech just for math questions contribute to our community at all. I think there are better places for that kind of questions.

9. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Well, one of the recent thread starters is supposedly a grown woman who needs to relearn this stuff for a placement test to go back to school. That is somewhat reasonable.

The most recent one just made me laugh. It was just so absurd. But it made me laugh. Therefore it's not totally a waste of bandwidth.

It could be worse. There was that kid a while back who started so many threads on random ideas he had. He would edit a picture (in MS Paint, badly) of a case taken from Newegg, and put it in the project log page. But his problem was that he'd start a thread for simple, stupid ideas, at random. Like, "hey, I wonder if anyone's thought about cooling a PC with mayonnaise - that would be cool" or something like that.

*Note, above comment is a dramatization of what really were very annoying thread starting posts.*

I for one get a kick out of yelling a a child who thinks he can get someone on the forum to do his HW for him. I mean, I'm all for helping people who deserve help, but not without them putting in effort themselves.

Haha, we should start giving the really bad ones wrong answers. :naughty: :naughty:

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm up for leaving this as a democracy - we're not forcing anyone to answer anything or comment in any thread. If you don't like what you see, there's a report post button. If there's enough of an outcry, one of the moderating team will remove it.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, although this annoys me too Glider, I reckon the possible benefits are worth the annoyances. I mean, the worst these people can do is post their thread, be annoying and lazy in it, and then leave. But it may bring some people into bit-tech long term, people who see the mods and develop an intrest or who just decide to stick around because they like computers. Ok, the number of them who do that might not be very high, but bit's been a bit(pun not intended) quieter then usual the last few months, and good new members should always be valued.

12. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

But as someone observed, that kid today must be ~11 years old, therefore he was breaking the rules (and law?) just signing up...

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well if all our members posted then we'd be a VERY busy forum. Also, because bit is such a fantastic and varied community, people obviously think it's the right place for mature and sensible answers to questions and they must feel at ease asking fundemental stuff.

14. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I don't really see the problem in helping people, it's when they obviously haven't tried to do it themselves when it annoys me. But most people have the sense to only give them hints on how to do it, not just give them the answer.

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah ozstrike, I feel the same, I don't mind helping people, but I think here at Bit-tech there's a difference between someone that is too lazy too spec out a PC (the countless "I have xxxx$ to spend, help me out" threads) and someone that is too lazy to do his/her coursework (which isn't related to PC's), certainly is that someone just joins for that question. The difference lies in the nature of the question (PC related or not), altough they both are the same type of question (lazyness).

16. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

There's a maths section here? :eyebrow:

I never even noticed tbh, if it bothers you just ignore it, and things will work out naturally ;)

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Heh just did a search to verify Gliders responce, "simultaneous equation" in google, and we are on the first page.
    There are some annoying people on here, but some people just need an actual person to explain it to them, they cant learn from books. Can't even find the Exam forum after a quick look. We would need (if there isn't already one) a sticky for simultaneous equations.

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The exam forum is gone as it isn't main exam season, January-March and June/July

19. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

20. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Nice, lets make GCSEs easier and claim that the results are improving.

Let people post all the maths help questions - But I vote no one replies to those threads helpfully unless its actually reasonable to expect someone to help.