1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Bit-tech modding guides - what do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Combatus, 4 Jun 2010.

?

What guides would you like to see?

1. Electronics (LEDs, circuit boards, soldering etc)

28 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Water cooling (the basics, fittings, setting it all up)

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Case modding / scratch builds

30 vote(s)
    61.2%
  4. Using Google SketchUp and rendering

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Thought I'd throw this one out there before the weekend :D

There's a wealth of stuff on our forums, but I'm keen to get more guides on our front page and to update what guides we do have if necessary :D

So....

What would you like to see in terms of new articles like these? This can be any subject area - electronics, water cooling, case modding techniques, scratch build guides, working with certain materials, even rendering.

Please add your vote to the poll and feel free to PM or email me.

Antony :dremel:

2. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

A guide through exporting and choosing correct rendering settings for Kerkythea paired with Google Skethcup.

3. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

And twilight. Also a idiots guide to watercooling. Not an idiot just very nervous.

4. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

A noobs guide to any CAD program, Sketchup or similar would be cool. I am still on paper for planning, as I have never mastered CAD. I got a copy of AutoCAD from my draughtsman cousin, but gave up on it after 1/2 an hour. I have also tried Sketchup but haven't got past making pretty houses yet.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I voted all.

I r nub :(

6. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

a guide for working with aluminium would be really awesome :)

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I found oldnwby's mini guide to filing aluminium brilliant so something along those lines but extended would be great.

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I think watercooling would be great.

I'd really like a sort of get started guide. What tools to use, where to find some, what materials are good for what and once again where to buy them.

9. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I would like to see them all but I voted just for sketchup and rendering as I do not have a clue about that and would love to design my fantasy case using it.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

More electronics hacks. They used to be core of modding.

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

If you're wanting to know how to make watercooling tubes in Sketchup I actually made a guide here on how to do it. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=163689

:D

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Electronics, I think I have a handle on the CAD/Sketchup front

13. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I want to see more scratch-build/case modding guides. This ties into custom WC components as well, and integrating WC into a build. Maybe an electronics hack/add-on guide as well.

WCing FAQs and guides? There are so many of these everywhere.

New guides should at least include a bit of creativity. These days so much has already been done in the modding world, but still stands out is a creative build. Remember Greensabbath and his masterfully crafted wood cases? Or WMDI and II? And Orac3? Orac3 was built way before the modding world became flooded with commercial products yet is still one of the best mods I have ever seen.

One can throw as many store-bought parts and expensive tools at a build as they want, but a mod won't be worth an iota of attention if the modder doesn't have the knowledge or experience to make their vision a reality.

14. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Some interesting info and opinions. I think a lot of the problems new comers face is that guides are often quiet old, use old components and can be dated in general. With whatever we come up with, we'll be sure to link back to the forums though.

Keep it coming.

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

What sort of electronics guides are people wanting? I may be in a position to write a couple...

LED controller, DIY fan controller, making your own power switch, what else?

16. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

electronics: touch buttons (on/of, light control,...) , temperature measuring,

maybe doing some tests with magnets, interference,... (what happens if you put a subwooffer in your case, does it have consequences if you attach your mb to your case using magnets, can you put a caseless PSU next to your hard drive,...?)

17. Stuey

Old components? Like what, VGAs and WCing blocks?

If a guide is going to be dated after a few years, then it wasn't general enough to begin with.

There are several ways to create fan blowholes. A guide from 10 years ago is just as pertinent today. Maybe it can be rewritten with a new paragraph or two, but the core guide is the same.

The same goes for other topics. A "how to use a Dremel" guide from 5 years ago is still as accurate as ever.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather see a solid guide than a generic write-up that spoonfeeds newbies about how to slap a specific set of WCing components together.

A guide can teach skills and know-how without being considered old or obsolete after a few years.

Still eager to see what you guys come up with.

What would someone want to do these things? Attach a mobo to a case with magnets? Why? That would require magnets to be fastened or glued to the mobo, which would be more trouble than just fastening the mobo to the case.

A subwoofer inside a computer? Possible, but the possibility of interference should be enough of a deterrent. A caseless PSU? Again, why? There are PSUs with acrylic cases...

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Cap'nPedro - Everything!:D -Touchscreen installs, using old laptop screens, fan controllers, servo controllers, pcb design/etching...

19. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

hey i was just trying to suggest some things coming trough my head. and the question about caseless psu's is not as irrelevant as you seem to think.

20. Stuey

I wasn't trying to sound snarky or sarcastic, sorry if I came across that way. I have seen caseless PSUs before, but would it really be feasible or even possible for bit-tech to release a comprehensive study on the electrical interference consequences of putting an unshielded PSU right next to other computer components. I just didn't get the magnetic mobo mount idea. It's a creative one, and in all honesty I'd still be eager to see if your vision became a reality. Such a mount can be pulled off safely, but I'm not sure what the potential benefits would be.

I think that Cheapskate should be persuaded to write a guide!

alpaca likes this.