1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Bit-tech modding guides - what do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Combatus, 4 Jun 2010.

?

What guides would you like to see?

1. Electronics (LEDs, circuit boards, soldering etc)

28 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Water cooling (the basics, fittings, setting it all up)

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Case modding / scratch builds

30 vote(s)
    61.2%
  4. Using Google SketchUp and rendering

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

By all means, if anyone feels they're up to writing an in-depth guide and has a decent camera / good photography skills then let me know! :thumb:

2. Combatus

There are some genuinely new methods of doing things today that weren't around a few years ago. Yes you can create a general guide that will last years and yes the core info will be roughly the same but this doesn't mean we can't have another go. I for one find it a little off-putting when I'm reading a guide that's six years old even when there's nothing actually wrong with it. After all, the more pictures you see and the more info you've read, the more likely you'll be able to find a way to apply what you've learned to your own work.

Don't take this the wrong way but that's a little condescending don't you think? We all have to start somewhere! I'm sure there's a way of pleasing most people but if it's not you're cup of tea or you know everything already, then don't read it. There will be plenty of other people who will, my inbox is testament to that which is kinda why I'm here.

In addition, there's plenty of stuff that might be 'out there' that isn't on bit-tech either and it would be nice if we could fill these holes. :D

Last edited: 8 Jun 2010
  3. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I see your point about updating older guides. In any case, an updated guide is better than no guide. How many how-to guides or writeups has Bit published in the past few years? I'm just glad that you've taken the initiative to revitalize that aspect of the site.

I suppose it is a bit condescending to not want Bit to place a high priority on producing extremely basic guides. I'm just worried that such guides will end up spoonfeeding beginners "the basics". Sorry about the way I'm coming off, I guess I'm just being selfish. I've been waiting for quite a while for Bit to fulfill its promises of more modding content and more guides.

4. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Speaking of magnets do they mess with anything in a computer? Awesome mod idea. Also I'd like to see a rgb guide like alienware. I don't like dated guides because I'm young and I haven't heard of half the things there talking about and it doesn't make sense. I'd also like to see a guide on what tools to use for what task and which ones to get.

5. Pieze

Pieze What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure they do mess some components off. Especially if they become electrically charged. I could be wrong but I've herd they can also erase hard-drives. All depending on strengths. I know some fans use magnets but there not really that strong.

6. Combatus

No problem at all. We'd like to cater for everyone so I'm just as interested in detailed, niche, in-depth guides as I am more general ones for those who are new. We need to concentrate on both ends of the spectrum else those who are new to modding will be alienated. Likewise, the more experienced modders won't find anything new and I'm aiming to please both camps as much as possible :thumb:

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I asked Tim if Bit would be interested in any tool writeups, and he said he'd get back to me. Never did. Twice.

I don't have the time or motivation right now, but eventually I plan on releasing an all-encompassing guide.

I hear ya. Sorry again, I'm just cranky this week. It also didn't help that, right before I saw this poll, I browsed through a few disappointing project logs. Seeing someone post 16 photos of a new stock case and then 1 photo of a few 3rd party fans installed in the case just doesn't excite me anymore.

I can only see one solution that would satisfy your goal to satisfy both beginner and experienced modders... MOAR guides!