1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Bit-tech to be at London International Technology show

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I like that. Like a noob creche - learning not to be afraid of your PC.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's a great idea. I bet loads of folk would have a bash at that.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

on-site modding of course...

maybe not a whole project, but mid-project where visitors can partially see whats being done and/or final look of it...

thatll b awesome.

4. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Right my bet's on pistol_pete winning this, but I'll throw in a little extra: dust. That has to be the bane of all computer repair tech's and would definitely be a good thing to throw in with the building class (that you now must do as it is an idea worthy of +1000 rep). So yeah general hardware maintenance would be a good thing to throw in alongside a building/upgrading class.

5. enciem

enciem Minimodder

A cookery stand for essential snacking while modding your computer

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

+1 on this. It could be a session for those who might have built a PC before but want to learn more about the variance of components so as to be more informed when buying - e.g. knowing what to look for in a PSU, awareness of the influence of noise and heat in a GPU, how to discern between the multitude of memory types available - things like that.

I think this would appeal to a particular part of bit-tech's (and Custom PC's) target audience.

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Great idea! + rep for that. :thumb:

8. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

How about a 'build your own watercooled pc' demo. It's a big step up from air cooling to watercooling. Show the boys how the men play with gear type theme.

9. Alsomething

Alsomething What's a Dremel?

I agree a modding demos from beginner to expert.

The idea of using old hardware also interests me, turning into something useful. I would also like more features on this in the magazine.

Could you also invite some of the modders who have featured in the mag with some of the most amazing modded machines. (Am I right in thinking you have had modders of the year competitions)

And for a competition, guess the overclock and settings used of a PC you screw the nuts off at the end of the show?

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Perhaps you could go back to the roots of Bit-tech and doing some modding demonstrations.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i just want cheesecake

12. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Letting the people from the public who don't know how to put together a pc do it at the event is a great idea!

and then, as i'm sure that time will be very limited, you could have some boxes ready where you could help people to "upgrade" a graphics card. as changing the gfx card is a simple job, yet i'm sure that many people don't know how to change it.

Oh, and games!
    I'm sure a funny demo of a certain "secret of ... island" game would go down well with people who didn't even imagine that a game can be funny :)

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I really like that idea and if they don't break anything they get a nice piece of cheesecake as a reward

if cheesecake isn't involved somehow it isn't a presentation put on by bit-tech

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

how about this..

have a goat sitting in a chair on one side typing on a keyboard.. then a big cloud in the middle and on the other side, a fat kid on a computer who yells bingo!

then you poke the goat with a stick and make him squeel.. preach the dangers of the botnet :hehe:

15. No_Na_Me

No_Na_Me PC & water, this can only end well

So we have a
    Beginner zone, where you can put bits in and out,
    Middle zone, water cooling etc...

Then how about the ultimate case mod's With several winners from Mod of the Month?

I'd like to see some example of HTPC's with various software and hardware setup Windows Home Server v a Linux based set up
    Maybe XBMC, My Movies etc... Possibly with a short 10 minute tutorial session on set up and ripping Movies / DVD or Blu Ray / advantages of Lossless music.

16. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Fair enough having a demostration to PC building - Maybe on the side or as a add on a course/demostration to get the techno phobia friends/family that got dragged along to the expo - getting them involved in using the internet/computers as well, my mother in law is a prime example of a person that does not know how to operate a DVD player let alone a PC, couldn't send a email, let alone turn a pc on connect to the internet in the first place...pc building is one thing but there are a few out there that could benefit from being introduced to a computer period to show its not that scary after all.:geek:

17. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Would anyone incapable of building a PC actually get to such a show ?

I need a "How to stop your over-clocked South--bridge from melting" lecture, as I keep having SATA problems...

LOL

dunx

18. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

I like the modding angle...

How about give two expert modders (maybe from the bit-tech community) the same raw materials and a few hours/a day to produce the best rig, to show what they can do, post the results here in the forums and give the skilled bstards a chance to win a prize!?

On second thoughts, could be unrealistic to ask them to do it in one day, but I'm committed now, that's my idea! :thumb:

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'll pop down and show off some scars if you like.

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

This for a major win! :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags