1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BitFenix Survivor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Form over function :( (again)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wow, this I did not expect! I guessed the cooling wasn't going to be fantastic but such a shame on the final design :(

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I think they deliberately made it a bit more of a hassle to open the case to make it impossible for people to steal your graphics card and other gear at a LAN party.

5. DarkFear

DarkFear New Member

I think you might have posted the Corsair 600T graphs by accident...

Did you guys get a chance to test the handle on the case?

Last edited: 26 Nov 2010
  6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

both the 600T and 700D would be nice ;)

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

It's pretty uncomfortable, and digs into your hands when carrying. It did easily support the case when fully loaded with hardware though.

8. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

looks great - big shame

9. BitFenix Lab

BitFenix Lab New Member

Dear Bit-Tech community,

After reading Bit-Techs review of our Survivor case, we would like to explain a little bit about our thinking behind this product.

This is primarily LAN box designed to be moved around with maximum security in mind.
    For that reason we have decided to make sure that at the LAN party , or any other public event , nobody can access internal components that easily .

To enhance security even further we have launched BitFenix S2 Security Device Cable Management so that at LAN party end user can have peace of mind knowing that not only internal components are secured but also external peripherals like gaming keyboard and mouse as well.

Following concerns expressed in Colossus review , we did listen to what Bit Tech community had to say and we have made sure that end users are presented with multitude of cooling options in order to strike good balance between price / performance / flexibility.

Survivor Core - 1 x 230 mm fan
    Survivor Core - 1 x 230 and 1 x 120 mm fan
    Survivor - 2 x 230 mm fans
    Survivor - 2 x 230 mm and 1 x 120 mm fan

I am sure that if Spectre 120mm rear chassis fan is used as available in form of a bundle from SCAN Computers , thermal performance would significantly improve .Coupled with other Survivor features like USB 3.0, removable upper part of Hard Drive Cage , good cable management , integrated collapsible handle and stylish design , Survivor represent true LAN box that adequately balances performance / features / style/ flexibility and is fit for all budgets.

10. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Whilst it is nice to give your users a choice, I can't help feeling that it add unnecessary complication giving four different fan combinations under two names for the same case. Online retailers in my experience are pretty useless at telling you clearly which version they have and unless I was *really* wanting the case (which based on the review I'm not) the required investigation would be the final straw.

On the subject of LAN party security and the side panels - what's the point of thumbscrew on the side panels if you then need a screwdriver to get a different part off? And wouldn't it be better to just put a lock on, which would give far more security than some screws!

This sounds rather negative, the case does have good points and I love the look and features. Here's hoping for some great cases in the future :)

11. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I was expecting much better cooling from this case, truth be told, as were a lot of others. I'm sure it's not just me who'd mind seeing that 120mm exhaust fan fitted as standard. It might be the saving grace of the case.

12. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

If you need any help just send me a private message

13. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

IMO - the Survivor might be a small case, but i see a little room where you could potentially fit a small 120/140mm (or bigger) fan on the side panel to blow air on the graphics card would work wonders for cooling performance.

I know that Sythe has some really really 'thin' fans that you could put on the side - and while your at it, you could probably leave a small gap and attach one in front of the hard drives too. just because its a small case doesnt mean that it cant offer good cooling.

14. Bungletron

Bungletron Well-Known Member

I take it this was the design ethos:

It a Survivor (wut?), its not gonna give up (wut?), its not gonna stop (wut?), its gonna work harder (wut?).

Cool that the manufacturer got right in there with a fairly robust rebuttle tho, I agree that its important for new manufacturers to target niche markets such as the security consious LAN gamer, but its not for me.

15. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Hummm, I don't really miss the bundeled exhaust fan, as I'd probably swap it out anyway.
    Most bundeled fans are either:
    powerfull - but too loud for the quiet guys (that live with a hotter but quiet case)
    quiet - but not powerfull enough for the extreme coolers (that take the noise as a man)
    cheap rubbish that are loud AND powerless

As a manufacturer, it's almost always wrong what you bundle.

16. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Member

I was really looking forward to this one as I loved the looks of it when we saw the peek earlier in the year ..but what a disappointment. Designed with LAN security in mind ...but what about the home user, in fact, what about every one else?

Fiddly panels, fiddly case parts, poor cooling(even the cheapest high street box comes with a rear fan ffs!) and no side window(not to everyone's taste but I like being able to see my high end gear doing it's thing).

I'll give you BitFenix guys a clue... if you had just taken a Antec 902 in terms of cooling, fan provision and window and re-skinned it with this design while sorting the access for the non LAN user... you'd have this must have case for the next six months... or atleast til then next 'must have' comes out.

What a miss.

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

nice to have a response !

but I think the thumbscrew question is totally valid - why have them at all?

18. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Can someone tell me why bit-tech continues to compare cases which don't have a rear exaust fan with those that do. Obviously the comparison is made redundent because of this issue! At least do two tests; one without and one with a standard rpm fan.

This may cause problems with past results as the standard fan will be different from bundled fans but I think bit-tech should identify a standard fan which it can test with any cases in the future for proper comparisons! I know this is more work, but it would at least be fair to manufacturers who don't include the rear exaust fan.

Or a better idea, do one test with bundled fans, and then include the standard fans on all additional fan mounts, showing cooling direct from manufacturer and additional cooling results. This reminds me of the Define R2 review which gave very poor cooling results, and then the follow up blog with the additional cooling results being much better.

*grumble grumble* ;)

19. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

It's not hard to see that adding +++fans means +++cooling. We've said it once and we'll say it again; we test cases as they come out of the box, as this is the only reliable comparative testing method. Otherwise you start to see complications when some cases use 80/120/140/200/240mm fan mounts, and we need to source a bunch of extra fans that are comparative - they just don't exist. Then we start to have to decide what configurations do we test. All intakes? All out takes? Balanced back to front? Balanced front to back? There are just too many variables and we don't have time to test a case a dozen times over.

Yes, adding an extra fan will improve cooling, but this is the same for almost all cases. Add even more fans, even better cooling.

20. mrbens

mrbens New Member

Would be nice to get a comparison between as it comes out of the box and with full cooling potential because I doubt anyone just uses the minimum amount of fans their case can hold.

Tags: Add Tags