1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BitMicro plans 5TB SSDs with TALINO-DE controller

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 Jan 2012.

1. salesman

salesman Minimodder

Made me chuckle, 2014. It's 2012, the world ends this year.

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

And without a lol or a grin, deary me :duh::lol:.

Edit
    I think if everyone anticipated everything going apocalyptic this year then it most probably would but if they just carry on as usual steaming forward with awesomeness then everything will be fine unless of course a freak meteorite shoots out of nowhere & smashes things out of place in the galaxy :).

3. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

It will be aimed at the corporate market and cost 10 000 £. Come back to me when we get 1TB SSD's for 100£. So probably 2020.

4. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I seem to remember them having a much bigger selection a year or so back - along with the other retailers as well. I obviously don't know for a fact, but I think it's a pretty safe guess that the main reason for lack of selection is that there simply isn't much demand for an artificially large size. Why block airflow into your case with something big & bulky when you don't need to?

Also, from a manufacturing point of view, why go to the expense of creating two separate products when one size literally fits all? There obviously is still a market, (hence they exist) but it seems a pretty niche one...

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I still took it to be a joke myself mate...

6. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Have you seen prices on enterprise SSDs? If they were to release this now, it'd be 10x that, at least.

In the meantime, please continue buying consumer SSDs, bleeding-edgers. I need you to get the volume up until the prices drop to where HDD prices were last summer, so a cheap <ahem> such as myself will be willing to get in on the sweet SSD action. :D

7. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

With my limited exposure to datacentre hardware, and the costs involved, the SSD based route may well be the future, but not until someone actually benches it and starts to demonstrate solid performance benefits. We use Dell SAN's and they really are rocks solid awesome performing bits of kit. There's absolutely no way I could get justify spending £12k+ on some storage space that "might" be quicker, and "might" have disaster recovery facilities as advertised.

I could make a case for saving on Rack space saving, and power saving, but until they become widespread enough and there are solid performance numbers in real world applications, with real world failure rates documented, then these are just a bit of a white elephant.

Potentially this looks like a tremendous performance product, but where're the test cases especially with the millions of transactions per piece of silicon performed by things like SQL Server etc.

Do I come across as a bit cynical? Sorry if I do, but I've yet to see this sort of supporting "evidence". Are OCZ etc doing real world testimonials?

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'm afraid I can't to that. My Windows 7 install came preinstalled from Sony. There's a hidden partition with a backup, but that has all their crapware on it. I've got Window the way I like it (ie removed the crapware), so I'll just clone that.

9. tough_aguilus

tough_aguilus What's a Dremel?

Originally Posted by capmoq
    "Promoses" and "promises" and "promises".. They always promise something but it's about a time if they already came out? There had to be 1TB SSDs coming but where are they. For a year I read articles like this but we still don't see anything on the market.

BiTMICRO drives are built-to-order drives, intended for industrial and military usage, the reason why you can't see any 1.6TB in the market right now. Once BiTMICRO enters the commercial/consumer market, then that's the time that you can see it.

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Dont know id these are ready to order or not...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/32tb...d-pcie-20-(x8)-sandforce-2281-mlc-flash-read-

Tags: Add Tags