1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BitTorrent buys up uTorrent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 8 Dec 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

You gotta love honest feedback from your users :D

3. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

They will all switch to azureus or any other good alternative.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2006
  4. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I switched from Azureus to utorrent as Azureus became too bloated when running overnight. Utorrent seems like the perfect 'lo-fat' client and it'll be a pity if they fill it up with pointless additions, taking it away from it's initial aim.

5. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

uTorrent is the epitome of high quality software. It is how all software should be made. If Azureus was any kind of alternative, don't you think BitTorrent would have bought that instead as it already has support for Mac and Linux? They bought uTorrent because it has much more chance of being successful in the industry as a fast and reliable software base to any sort of bittorrent service that these big businesses want to supply.

I think it's a good thing that bittorrent is going mainstream. It shifts its image from a tool solely for pirates to something that has commercial and legal potential. Personally I'd love to be able to download movies and TV shows legally via my set-top box.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Blizzard have been using thier own BT client to distribute WoW patches since the game came out, I'd say thats a rather large legitamate use already.

I'd hate to see this turn into something like Kazaa, uTorrent is an amazing program, I'd hate to see it (and BT in general) fail now.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

What good alternative? All the rest are rubbish in comparison, especially that hunking pile of badly coded crap called azureus.

uTorrent is by far the best client out there. Thankfully, even if they ruin it there's no reason users can't just continue to use the versions they've already got. That should work for a good few years from now.

I don't really have any faith that the official client won't be ruined. It'll probably get fat, and pretty to look at for the noobs it's designed to sell to. Not to mention they'll probably stick adverts and some form of DRM in it within a few years.

8. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Well, I'd have a tendency to agree with this 'senorjuarez'.

Also specofdust, the reason why BitTorrent bought uTorrent was because it's tiny, so why would they go making it 'fat'?

9. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

utorrent small and lightweight, but i still prefer azureus, even if I have switch off my pc instead of hibernating it after a long use of azureus.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

They'd make it fat to make it pretty. Just because they like the code doesn't mean they aren't going to ruin it. uTorrent may be perfectly understandable to people with a small ammount of understanding of computers, but to total noobs it would be far too complicated. Since movie studios are going to want to make things as easily used as possible, they'll want uTorrent to be made easier to use by noobs, and probaby over time prettier. That'll make it fat.

11. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

uh oh. I don't want to go back to Azureus again!

12. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Well, utorrent had a good run.

13. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Well I think i'll turn updats off if I have to, and leave utorrent doing it's thing, for as long as possible, before considering an alternative.

14. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

Could somone explain what this means if you use already use utorrent?

15. daftie

daftie What's a Dremel?

Movie studios want to make noobs use bittorrent?
    I musta missed something... :rolleyes:

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You clearly have. Why do you think the movie studios have been getting into bed with Bittorrent inc.? They havn't been doing it just for a giggle. What the movie studios want to do is get bit-torrent being used as a distribution system, which makes sense. They'll need a complete system to offer consumers though that includes an easy to use client. Not just "here's some .torrent files, off you go". This will no doubt include a heavily controlled and very noob-friendly client. They want to exploit a market, they've recognised a good piece of software. They've bought it, they'll make it fatter, less usefull and easier for total noobs to use - then they'll start exploiting the market with downloadable content to people who'll pay them money.

Jeez, feel like I have to spell everything out in this thread.

17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Don't forget it helps them avoid hefty bandwidth bills by getting the users to distribute files for them :thumb:

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

<short tempered grumpy dude>

Well if that's not obvious frankly the person should back away from the dull beige box and go and play with a red ball.

</short tempered grumpy dude>

psuedoedit: :D

19. quack

quack Minimodder

Shocking news. I love uTorrent, I really really REALLY hope nothing drastic changes.

20. daftie

daftie What's a Dremel?

that makes sense to you???
    movie studios want their movies distributed online, instead of seen for much higher profit in theaters or sold as dvd?

also, as someone mentioned, there already ARE distribution systems (like WoW , the Apple online store and EA's), so not really any reason for studios to get in bed with bittorrent...

and you know the only appeal of downloading a 1-10gig movie is that it's free...

Tags: Add Tags