1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BitTorrent is coming to routers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 24 Oct 2006.

1. Reaper_Unreal

Reaper_Unreal Minimodder

Unless that router supports alternate ports, and packet header encryption, that's going to be useless for me. Though the idea of having BT on something that isn't my PC is awesome. Should help my speeds a bit.

2. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Anyone else think this has relevance to Windows Vista having it's own inbuilt torrent engine?

3. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

"If A Plane Goes Down Do You Sue The Boeing Coroporation For The Plane?
    No You Sue The Pilot"

Thought the quote applied.

I think this is a good step for bittorrent, it is a step in a more legal direction which will always help.

4. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

isn't this old news? :worried:

5. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

The is old news :p I own the Asus WL-500gP (basically same as picture shown except mine doesnt have inbuilt hard drive. Just hook up an external and your ready to go.

It also has a print server which is handy :)

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

clients like azururs and uTorrent have DHT (p2p tracker) so you do not need an tracker as well for it to work With Azururs you do not even need the .torrent file just the file name i think (or by hash like eMule)

7. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

As I understand these NAS (and Router) BT clients, you control them via a web interface. So the NAS (or Router) will have a small web server installed as well (as many already do today for configuration of the NAS/Router. You then access the NAS's web interface and there control the BT client.
    Just like with the Web interface that the BT client uTorrent is about to get.

Also the BT protocol still needs a server (tracker). And BT is an open protocol, with many implementations of the server/client software.
    It is not the BT protocol that can be attacked, but the use of the protocol – and thus it will be the users or trackers that will be targeted.

On another note: The only reason ThePirateBay exists is because in Sweden it is not illegal to provide a service that can direct you to locations of illegal contraband.
    I Denmark (where I live) several judgements has established that it is illegal to even publicise the where abouts of illegal stuff.

So the question is, in your country would it be illegal to have web site that shows how to build bombs, build home-made guns, where to shop for narcotics etc. ?

Tags: Add Tags