1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BitTorrent Plus Kazaa Equals... Exeem?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 3 Dec 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

If the reports are true, then the ******* child of BitTorrent and Kazaa will soon be with us, and will go by the name of Exeem. This from ExtremeTech:

The designers of the popular BitTorrent site Suprnova.org are reportedly working on decentralizing the BitTorrent client, according to Slyck.com, a P2P website.

The existence of the new client, called "Exeem", could not be confirmed at press time. According to an individual who called himself a beta tester, the software is in beta, with 5,000 users signed on to evaluate it.

BitTorrent has become a popular file-sharing application for the way that it tends to saturate a broadband connection, providing maximum bandwidth to those who download files. Each BitTorrent file requires a "tracker", which the clients check in with to fnd out who is sharing files. Pinging these "tracker" files has put enormous strain on Suprnova.org and similar sites, Slyck said. At press time, the SuprNova page was tracking 277,773 seeded torrents, 5,923,440 seeds and 6,436,144 downloaders, or 12,359,584 peers.

More here

2. KryoNexus

KryoNexus What's a Dremel?

you've gotta wonder where the funding for their servers and bandwidth come from.

3. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

ads.

4. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

I suppose the P2P community is only going to evolve. I remember starting on Napster and then moving to Morpheus :hehe: .

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Napster, Imesh, Kazaa, Emule, BitTorrent.

Im not sure if i like the idea of anything associated with Kazaa.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'll bet you the only thing different is a search feature. But then again, that's what kazaa is in essence - a BT client with a search feature.

8. rowpie

rowpie What's a Dremel?

they are actually quite diffrent programs.

kazaa is a decentralised program, basicallly it dosnt need servers working out where everything goes it just connects to other kazaa uses who in turn connect and so on....

One of the reasons it has dodged the law as long as it has has been that key point. there is no central location to controll the software from.

Bit Torrent currently requires main servers that moniter the traffic and where it goes to make sure people get the right parts of the file they are trying to download. by making a decentralised bit torrent it would become a true peer to peer network requiring no middle man (servers) for operation. just as many users as care to use it.

will be nice to see how it gets implimented. glad to hear someone is trying it.

one thing im looking forward to seeing is how they work the search feature. currently just scanning down a list of files on websites works... hopefully a decentralised version will be just as good at it.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No. Kazaa doesnt use trackers. Also, its full of ****, spyware and virus' which BT isnt.

10. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

I'm a beta tester of this and it does look promising, although alot of news reports have been saying they are creating this to replace suprnova.org which all admins on suprnova are denying so as normal don't believe everything the news posts tells ya ;P

11. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Well, I don't blame Suprnova. They are going through a big breakthrough right now. They are going to try and de-centralize their setup. This means, better mirrors for those outside of the US, which in return will boost upload/download speeds. What it will envolve, is basically making anyone on the network a tracker. I'm anxious for this release.

12. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Well , i dont think it has anything to do with Kazaa per se.

They are only making their network decentralised and used Kazaa to illustrate the point of true p2p with no servers.

But if they are taking out the servers, it does make you wonder where they are going to get the income from ... the income they are going to lose from their servers.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

advertise in the software?

I see your point - not actually kazaa per say then. An emule version would be better. Still servers but you can connect to whatever you want.

14. sinizterguy

That is what has me concerned ... I'd rather see the ads on the server until I get my stuff and then be done with that.

If the ads are displayed in the software, then its going to be displayed constantly all the time.

But if it makes the whole thing faster to find a file and get it, then OK, I guess I can live with it. And if I can't, I am sure there will be a Lite Version within days.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup. God bless the enthusiast community.

16. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I'd rather keep bittorrent as it is at the moment. It would be a crying shame if it gets to kazaa's level of malicious software and SSSSLLLOOOOWWW download speeds.

17. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

tbh kazaa, etc. all of them are utta CRAP!.

Bit-torrent is "ok". It's helped alot of people.. with sharing bit ISO files.(linux etc)

- Sc0rian

18. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

19. sinizterguy

Too many restrictions on the nodes with all this slots crap.

Bit-Torrent is the best.

20. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

I don't have any problems, I just find a couple of good hubs and set DC to autoconnect...

I havent the foggiest how torrent works, anyhow

Tags: Add Tags