1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BitTorrent Plus Kazaa Equals... Exeem?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 3 Dec 2004.

1. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

I guess in the end its down to personal preference.

2. RTT

RTT #parp

It's very simple, in a nutshell: a torrent file contains a bunch of info that describes the files in the torrent, their size, format and checksums, and the address of a tracker which is tracking the torrent. Your client then contacts the tracker (which co-ordinates all the clients requesting the torrent) and connects you to a selection peers who then you start downloading from. The difference is that with bittorrent you start sharing as soon as you start downloading; you don't need 100% of the files you are downloading to be able to share them to others. This means that as demand for a torrent increases, the total bandwidth to go around to distribute it also increases to accomodate everyone. It's a fairly perfect solution to filesharing.

Unfortunately it's a little fiddly to get working at optimum (port forwarding if you're behind a hardware firewall / big network and some outgoing bandwidth limiting) and I suspect the majority of bittorrent users out there aren't configured correctly which is a shame.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I have never really been satisfied with the speed of bit-torrent compared to the edonkey network. Maybe my Netgear router doesn't like it.

4. Wings

Wings What's a Dremel?

Don't be fooled by Exeem

The Suprnova guys are NOT involved in developing Exeem. They've just been hired to do PR to promote Exeem. And, Exeem is NOT anything like Suprnova. It's Windows-only AND adware.

Thank-you, but no thank-you.

5. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

Boo hoo, you're seeing adds... You have the option to pay for whatever it is your downloading and see no adds...

Methinks it's just a bit rich to bitch about adds when you are downloading something for free...

Tags: Add Tags