1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Black Dragon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TATH, 23 Jun 2015.

1. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Because i want to work in the future with a bigger diameter hard tubing i already got me a 16mm bending kit.

[​IMG]

2. TATH

TATH Minimodder

I think it was a week ago that i was working on the build and i thought "he why dont i paint the hole case".
    What kept me in first place was the ammount of work that goos in it. sanding cleaning, degreasing, base layer , top layer paint.

I thought "why not you like it so do it". So i did. i got a tip from a dutch friend "Sander" that the Action shop have good paint for cheap. So i got me 10 cans "6 left".
    It is realy cheap paint "no i am not advertising "you dont com over to holland to buy 5 cans of paint do you :D

The base layer i repaintable in 20 minutes. I use a paint stripper\heatgun to speed up the drying time.
    Within 5 minutes i gave it its second layer ( top coat) . Workable in 2 hours. Whooo that is fast.

Off cours it can compete with powerdercoat but i dont intend to go trowing with it.

[​IMG]

In the mean time i already did the second pedestel.

Remeber Gerald that whe where talking about pressnuts "no not press my nuts" biggrin.gif

I got a bunch of these from my firefighter friend Bas "thank you" agin. I hammert a few in the support and mounting angels for the radiator.
    Verry nice small and strong. Drill a 4,5 mm hole and lay one on top of the hole. One little smack with the hammer and you dont get them out with your hand.
    And because i dont hang a elephant on it it is suitable for this build. I will get me som more. This time not for free "it is no dirty word for free".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TATH

TATH Minimodder

From my sponsor Bitspower i got 3 new blocks for my GTX 690's .

I wanted to have 980 GTX or new Titans but couth not find a sponsor who will give me new cards. rolleyes.gif So i am going to use the cards that i got me a few months ago for a cheap price.:D

I got 3 of these. "Yes i have to do something about those big screws\ I want smaller ones".

[​IMG]

Well it is sertanly no easy job if you think you can do this in a hour you must forget it. And also i you have 2 left hands "DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT".

Lucky that i can work with my hands. After taking one screw out i found out that the hole is soutable for a 4mm tread. That is what i did tapping 2 x 18 holes by hand.
    After thi i had to order new screws "stainless M4 x 16mm" Fit perfectly.
    No scratches on the block "all happy"

[​IMG]

4. TATH

TATH Minimodder

A new day in mods paradise.

Now that i got new blocks i have to take off the old "still good looking blocks".

After modification of the blocks it is time to put them on the cards..
    Precise job.

After a good hour work the blocks are on the cards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ha ha the blocks are on the cards so dont shout at me :D

Tommorow i am painting the middle section of the case.

Still a long way to go but i like it.

5. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Colored the screws of the gpu coolingblock black.

Got som advice to change the color of the bolds in the gpu block. " ye ye more work" Wil it look better "yes i think it does" . So more work :wallbash:
    I just finished one card.

[​IMG]

Like it !!

6. TATH

TATH Minimodder

The painting job is finished.

Already finished the paintjob a week ago but i want to update more then one thing at a time.

The plan was to change the build. But because something changed on my work i have to skip that part to next year.

In the mean time i can search for more info about the actuators and who can make me a pedestel long rounded acrylic cover on top.

In the middle i made a few extra support collums\angles. "also for the mounting of the 2 psu's.
    Because the frame is so long it can need som support.

[​IMG]

The lightning in the evening is not so good for making pictures.
    I just put a few loos panels on to see if it is still straight enough.
    Not bad but if i am going to make a new build then i am going to use the 3mm "self clinching nuts" .
    Made of steel for a plate to 2 mm thick. It is better then the 3 mm tread that i put in right now.

[​IMG]

I always buy the panels to big because you never know if you want to change something.
    I made a mounting plate for the two double bitspower pomptops. And to see how it look i just placed them on the acrylyc top.
    I still have to drill holes tru the back of the cover to push the pomp plate back to the cover.
    All pomp wiring is going tru the back.

[​IMG]

The mounting of the cover from the middle frame i do from the inside. There for i have to:
    - cut the pannel to its right size;
    - dril holes in the frame;
    - tape on the back to take over the dril holes that i make in the frame;
    - dril holes 4mm deep for the 3mm tread;
    - put tread in the acrylic cover.

http://i.imgur.com/2qjrywQ.jpg

Before i can put the Nexus UT60 560 radiators in the top i have to sleeve the wires first and test them.

[​IMG]

7. TATH

TATH Minimodder

u hu big panel is in.

All that jobs you call easy jobs take a lot of my time.
    But i am happy when it is finished. Never stopping to try doing it the best way.

No fancy pictures just see the build grow. biggrin.gif

I found a way to cover the mounting screws. By securing the panel from the inside.
    Easy job

[​IMG]

I used this tool to avoid drilling to deep. I push the drill far back in to the head of the machine and use this cap to keep the right distance.

[​IMG]

Backpanel is in.

[​IMG]

pulled of the protection film from the inside. Like a mirror.

[​IMG]

More work on the other panels.

[​IMG]

8. TATH

TATH Minimodder

A day in mods paradise again.

Befor i can install parts inside i have to finish all the panels.

Yes filing and sanding until your fingers drop off.
    Is there a other way to do it faster "yes let some one els do it". biggrin.gif

One cover went to the scrap yard today. tree movements to much with the file made my cover look not sharp any more.
    I already made a new one. " happy that i had 2 spare panels. pffff rolleyes.gif
    In this picture i already cleand up the mess i made today. The can call me Henry the gray now "som much dust came off the panels during sanding". But it is worth the time. It is like feeling the build grow under your fingers.

[​IMG]

Already new tape on the moddle cover to protect the panel double.
    I aslo trimt 1,5 cm of the front fan cover. For the first part i used a jigsaw and for the rest i use a file and sandpaper K280 and K400.

[​IMG]

Ha ha even with the tape one it looks good.

[​IMG]

During the build i pick up surtan ways to do things. I found a way to even the top by using the tape on the horizontal panel as a guide.
    I first use a file until i just feel the edge. Then i use sandpaper K280 and then K400. When the sandpaper reach the tape i know that the ede is right. Just a easy way to do thing better.

[​IMG]

9. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Working on the upper panel.

Upper panel is in after drilling holes and tapping 3mm tread in to the panel.
    I removed the protection film. Yes it shines.
    I decide to get another inlay panel above the acrylic panel so it going to look like the bottom pedestel.

I just placed the order for 2 x 2mm black coated panels to use as a cover inside.

[​IMG]

Just a extra picture

[​IMG]

My first thought was putting a few strips above the panel and secure it with 3 mm screws. But afterwards i was thinking "No that dont look good" so i do it the proper way and get me one big and one small cover.

It also gives more stifness to the structure as well.

[​IMG]

Hope you like it "i do" :D

10. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes i am back.

When i see to you i am listning to music from Aretha Franklin you wil probably say "he old man what ar you doing here" :D
    I must say i love al differnt kind of music.

Back to the build "right"rolleyes.gif

One little step for me and a big one for the build :D
    Made the top frontpanel for the pedestel. "still have to saw out the Aquero and the icy dock opening.

I saw out the part for the fans. Now that the tread is in the panel i can mount it for further work that i have to do on it.
    Yes sanding and filing and polishing.

[​IMG]

What does the bleu tape ment for. Well sometimes i f... up something and then i have to repair it.
    I markt the hole where the tread is behind. "Screw dont fit in" :wallbash: Then i use a special drill and drill the hole half a mill bigger and then
    i hope to see the tread. These things just hapens. One out of 14 is not bad.

[​IMG]

The longer i work on this build the more idee i get to change something. I try to avoid that because it is a big money pitt.
    So in this picture i use a scrap piece to help me when i sand down the edge on top.
    I want the top panel fall in to the middle "mayby a clear panel to look inside\ here i go again".

[​IMG]

The idee was to make a motherbord tray from wood first to see if i got the right shape and vorm.
    For now i stick a panel in to see how much room i have.

It is alway "see \ look \ do". Have to take my time.

[​IMG]

I made a paper reservoir "just for the measurements" :eyebrow:
    I want a clear acrylic "Big" reservoir for two loops.
    I have seen a few films on internet about casting acrylic yourself. If it is cheaper i dont know.
    Have to learn much more before i can do that but it is not out of my mind "yet".

[​IMG]

11. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Custom mountingplate\ drill mall.

Som parts just cost a lot of my time.
    Made a mountingplate for the Aquero and the Icy dock. I also use the mountingplate as a drill mall on the front cover.

I made a panel from a scrap piece of acrylic "the same like i did on the bottom pedestel". I need this 8 mm thick acrylic because with the bracket mounted on this plate the Aqeuero and the Icy Dock line up perfect on the front. So if i use a thinner plate the Aquero wil stick out the case and that is not what whe want.

The square acrylic piece was exactly 205 x 164 mm. So with these dimension i made a paper mall on the AutoCAd program. Stick it on the panel and take over the lines.
    After a few minutes the holes where saw out with the jigsaw. The rest is for the file.

Fit in without the brackets. I hope to get 2 meter of aluminium strip this week. Then i will make a few brackets for the Aquero and the Icy dock. Forgot to order them together with the plates. Now i have to pay extra for shipping. So the strips are 3 x more expensiv then normal.

"dont tell my wife" :D

Made a new panel. Fits better then the last one. Luck or skill "you tell me". :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Fit the Aquero and icy dock in to see how it looks.
    Now it is cleaning time and i stop for this evening.

[​IMG]

Tommorow i wil put the front panel back in and take over the measurements on the front panel.

I did not mention it yet but i am thinking about putting in hinges on the side panel (left and right) so i can access the case.
    Still have to work it out.

Thats all for today. :rock:

12. TATH

TATH Minimodder

This evening it is time to finish the holes on the outer front panel for the top pedestel.

After countless removing the Icy dock and filing and scraping of acrylic the both fit in. :D

Yes i am verry happy with the result.

[​IMG]

View from the inside. "O yes got my two panels today and after a few minutes filing there in too".

I peel of the protection film from one of the strips that came in today. Am i crasy or what. Shiny 'cant be".
    The plate of the bottom pedestel is matt black. Did i order wrong plates. After searching tru the papers and looking again at the panel the light went on in my head. Yes stu... d you painted the panel the bottom is still shinny but on the bottom.
    So that means that i have to paint them all.

[​IMG]

I dont know if the paint out of my cans byte the paint on the coated panels.
    I have to try it out. If it blister or bubble up i have to use the other side and give it a few layers.
    After sanding the top of the paint dead with K600 i painted it. And forcedreyed it with my heatgun. It only took me 10 minutes and the panel is back in the case. Looks good to me. Tommorow the other panel.

[​IMG]

Last panel is taped on both sides and hold with a few clamps into position so i can mark the inside.

[​IMG]

For mount of new parts i use steel self clinching nuts M3 for plates to 2mm thick. Verry strong. Its a winner in my case build.
    I redid the holes for mounting the left fanframe.

[​IMG]

So that is al for this evening.

13. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Last panel for the top pedestel is in.

Panel is in one thing that i still have to do is sanding the top.
    Had the mounting plate against the panel but i deside to move it to the right side of the pedestel.

[​IMG]

View without the film on the panel. Starting to look like a real case now.

[​IMG]

Had better light so i made a nother picter of the plate i painted yesterday.

[​IMG]

Need more panels. I want to make separate panels for the pedestel and mid sections.

14. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Lost one evening with planning and other small work on the case.

Som times you reach a point where you have to think first and then proceed.
    Ha ha i reached that point now. Questions:
    - having a slope motherboard tray or not. "no whe dont" wink.gif
    - Where exactly place the double double bitspower pomp units "got it"
    - side panels "solf the side problem" \ Orderd more acrylic to make separade panels for each section "acrylic for led"

[​IMG]

changed out the pomptop that i used for measurements. Got the two new double pomptops on the plate. Need to put more neopreen under the panel befor i mount it to the floor panel.

[​IMG]

I was playing with the motherboard tray "how i going to place it slope or not. And i place it flat against the back with a red color acrylic behind it.
    Between the pedestels and the frame i am going to make a acrylic wall where i cut out the side panel for the motherboard tray.
    Yes much more work.

[​IMG]

I orderd also 6 meter of clear 16mm tubing. "that meaning ordering different bitspower multilinks . BP-MBEML16

So today it is planning and i hope to start building again tommorow.

O yes need a special drill for drilling the holes of the back of the pomps tru the back. 67\68 mm.

And thanks Gerald for the led controller info.

15. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Time to make the holes for bitspower modkits in the backpanel.

To be sure that the pomp units stand perfect i put new neopreen damper strips under the acrylic plate. This way i hope to avoid taking over the drill holes the wrong way "like the tower of pissa".

[​IMG]

The fire brigade sponsored me with 3 sheets of A3 paper for the drill mall. :D

[​IMG]

Because i use 180 grams paper the paper edge i suitable for taking over the measurements on to the panel.

[​IMG]

After filing "till your fingers drop off" the bitspower modkits sticking tru the backpanel. Job don! Almost need to finish.
    But you know how it is with little boys "need to show their new toy". So more work for tommorow evening.

[​IMG]

The modkits sticking tru the backpanel. It is a shame that i need to modify the back of the plates. I need to because i am planning use the AquaComputer D5's with the usb connection. And there fore i need more room at the back.

[​IMG]

More tommorow boys and girls.:rock:

16. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Just finished the drillmall for the D5 usb pomp.

Just orderd the 4 pomps that i need for the build.
    Lucky i get som cash from my extra shifts that i did a month ago. Enough to pay for this madness.

The Bitspower modkit has a plate on the back wich covers the space where i need to connect the cables for the pomps.
    I need to make a hole in the original one "so i need a drill mall" or i am going to make rings to replace the original plates.

Yes i am on to the acrylic again.
    Still had som scrap from the caselabs window.

[​IMG]

Taking over the measurements. The rest of the job is for the:
    - jigsaw;
    - stanly knife to scrape off hairs off acrylic.

[​IMG]

After endless scraping it matches almost the bitspower one.

[​IMG]

Ha ha now that i think of it i need 3 more.
    I hope that when i put the pomp on its place i can draw a squar what i need to cut out for the cables.

[​IMG]

When you ares bussy with the build you often forget these little things "thanks for the coffee dear" yes its cold now.

[​IMG]

:thumb:

17. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Package time.

Package arived verry early this morning.

Neighbour "he i got a package for you".

What in the ......... is in that big package. I did not order a kitchen. rolleyes.gif
    When i opent the box bells where ringing. O yes my tubing and led panels.
    "Even in daylight the give light"

[​IMG]

O yes my new diameter tubing . I orderd 4 x 1500 mm off 16\12 clear tubing.

[​IMG]

Ha the most off it is the packing .

[​IMG]

Whats left are thes "to big" :D panels and the tubing.

[​IMG]

:thumb:

18. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Had lots of fun today working on the case.

The plan was to resize the led-acrylic. But you al now how it goos with planning things it always turn out you have to do other things first.

First thing went good. " Cutting the led-acrylic". Nice stuf. "No you cant smoke it" biggrin.gif
    Then i wanted to sand the edges but it turnd out that one panel moves. I need to secure it first.

[​IMG]

There whe go again.
    Measuring, drilling and tapping tread in to the panel.

[​IMG]

I also cut a edge out of the pompplate to store a ledstrip behind it.
    Now it is time for som fun. I want to see how the led-acrylic light up.
    I had a special ledstrip in storage so lets try it out.
    Ahum not good it is to strong it bleeds tru the led-acrylic and looks orange instead of red.

[​IMG]

This time i took a piece of scrap ledstrip from the other build that i have left. And one 9 volt battery to power it.
    Yes it looks better but the led-acrylic is dropt down. Lets see how it looks when it is up.

[​IMG]

O yes it looks much better this way. This means that i have to put som led-acrylic around the bottomplate of the pomps and do the same on the pomptops bottom acrylic.

[​IMG]

So spent a few hours on the build but the inportant thing is o made som progress today.

19. TATH

TATH Minimodder

I am late today,

But i feel that i need to do som work on the build again.

Putting many clamps on the acrylic to avoid that it moves during the work on the outer edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut a little strip out and then put in the next panel just to look.

[​IMG]

Got more news.
    I am going to strip Hill 7.9 and going to make a desk build begin next year "when this one is finished".
    Why! Because i need more space and i like a desk build verry much. I did not see a desk build before i got the Caselabs TH10. :wallbash:

20. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes i am back.

Got a package from Germany.
    [​IMG]

Yes new faceplate.

[​IMG]

Made a drill mall for for keyholes. "No not for locks but for mounting the panel from the inside.

[​IMG]

I turnd out that i drill one 2,5 mm hole to many. Well we can cover that up. Now that i know that it works i know what to do for the rest of the side panels.

[​IMG]

After drilling and tapping i remeasure the holes and draw the size on a piece of paper. Now i can make the screws the right length.

[​IMG]

After test fitting a few times with only the top screws in. The holes have the right depth. After this i did the bottom ones.

[​IMG]

Panel can easaly be mounted without problems.

[​IMG]

More tommorow. :)