1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Energy

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Guido, 1 Mar 2004.

1. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

First posting here of my PC. Wouldn't actually call this a log, as most of this is finished as I'm writting and I really didn't take shots along the way. Sorry for the blurriness of some of the pics. The camera I borrowed from work wasn't the best. Note to self: get digital camera.

This is my first ever mod of my computer. Not a lot of modding so to speak, but additions. Added the black paint job, blue dual CCFL's, a window, blowhole, wire management, drive stealthing, and maybe a few more I can't think of. There will be some more posts once I get the guts in and everything is up and spinning. And now on with the pics!

Case as I started this mod.
    [​IMG]

Painted floppy bezel.
    [​IMG]

Majority of the painted parts. Some things that you might not see in the pic are the pwr/reset buttons.
    [​IMG]

Here's what the front grill used to look like. Originally there were 4 intake fans here, and my first thought was to reduce that to two, one above the other and positioned in the middle. (Hence all of the added holes.) Changed my mind on that idea and decided to use the bottom two original holes. There are now two 76mm holes there due to a run in with my hole saw.
    [​IMG]

From here the progress shots kinda stop. These are mostly finished parts. Here are the two side panels.
    [​IMG]

And two rear shots...
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Started working on stealthing my drives. Not completely finished cause I need to trim the front blanks down a bit. Sorry for the blur. I moved.
    [​IMG]

And my hidden button, otherwise known as a hot glued mobo screw.
    [​IMG]

Oh rats, I got interupted. This by-the-way, is not a mod job, but a complete creation by my wife and I.
    [​IMG]

Oh yes, the psu wiring job. I like it, but it's too stiff. It will probably be replaced with a real sleeving job. Didn't sleeve some of the wires since they won't be used. Will tuck them out of sight.
    [​IMG]

Some more hidden wiring.
    [​IMG]

The windowed-panel now attached.
    [​IMG]

And some money shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said earlier, there will be more, just as I get them down and borrow a digital camera. Unless some kind soul would like to give me one they don't need. :hehe:

Still have the drives to work on, adding the guts, and sleeving some more wires. Oh, and another idea. The front clear piece will probably wind up painted and the plastic switch holder removed. I'm thinking about replacing the piece with acrlyic, giving it a white flame, blue background paint job, then drilling holes for the LED's and buttons. I've received one free switch from Apem Electronics and the 2nd should be on the way. Until then... :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

Last edited: 10 Mar 2004
  2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Very very tasty :D

Considered modding the finish from glossy black to mirror finish black ?

3. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

Thank you kind sir! Well, I considered it while I was painting and that's all. I HATED painting this case. Why? I really don't have a lot of extra time to spare, and up to this point the sanding and painting has taken about 75% of the time spent on this. So I'm tired of painting. If I do any more it might be a coat or two on the panels and then some polishing, but that's it. What do ya think about the flames and all? Good idea, bad idea? It would be the only colored part of the case.

4. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Looks good Guido. Hardly any resemblance to the original case at all. I like that. Cute kid too. :D

5. MegaRouge

MegaRouge What's a Dremel?

Nice, I like the changes a lot. You started with something beige and boring and ended up with a nice case. That plexi on the front looks great, and the paint job looks fantastic. Nice to see someone else using dome nuts to hold on the window and fans :thumb:

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Um, why does the one in the top right corner look like Pacman :hehe:

Liking the black :rock:

7. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

That I do not know. If you'll notice each fan area has a small section where there are no holes, but for some reason this one was larger.

8. kiljoi

Hehehe, good job. What more can we expect to see?

9. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

Well, the insides put back in with everything running. Total of 3 clear/blue LED fans. One on the CPU, one on the window, one on the blowhole. Hope to have the drives ready tonight, maybe even the internals all worked out. Front flamed-acrylic paint job is down the road. Have thought making a baybus, but instead of putting it in a bay, mounting it to the side or top. A side-hinged panel with hydrolic support arm would be nice, but that's a ways off.

10. kiljoi

Sounds damned cool. Looking forward to seeing the work on it.

P.S. What part of texas you in?

11. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

Alvarado, south of Ft Worth.

12. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

OK, got some finishing up shots for you good folks. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one is my favorite! :dremel: :dremel:
    Still haven't had the chance to trim down the blanks so I can put them on the CD-Roms. Will do that soon.

13. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

nice work with this case its very very nice compared to what it was first

but that grill give me a project idea (pacman Mod)

14. t.n.

t.n. What's a Dremel?

nice 'creation' :naughty:

15. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

That's looking really good. Way better than original. Your daughter is scary looking in that picture. I know it's just the way it was taken tho - low light, dark eyes and the blurred coat hanger.....

16. kiljoi

I love the blue. And good job with keeping the cables tidy. Looks damned good overall. How many bl00 lights/lighted fans you got in there?

17. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

looking nice
    what does you wife say about your modding
    my girlfriend said I always was weird

18. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

Well, there is a dual, blue CCFL (one top/bottom), then there are 3 blue LED fans, located on window, CPU, and blow hole.

Well, when I wanted to do something like this about 2 yrs ago she didn't want me to do it. Being nice I didn't. Since then I got this case. She really didn't want me to, and was afraid I'd mess something up, since I'm not in a position to go out and buy one if I did. However, I just started one day while she was out. Now that she's seen the final product, she's in love with it. And I didn't let it take time away from her and our girl.

Thanks for the replies. I have another case that I plan on doing. Maybe a flame/Corvette theme. Who knows?

19. kiljoi

I have another case that I plan on doing. Maybe a flame/Corvette theme. Who knows?[/QUOTE]
    If this is the case, I'll subscribe now. I absolutely love Corvettes.

20. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

If this is the case, I'll subscribe now. I absolutely love Corvettes.[/QUOTE]

Me too, except this will be given to my brother-in-law, since he loves them more than I do. Keep your eye's peeled. Maybe a month or two, but you'll see it.