1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Black Ice 001

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by C:\Joshy, 14 Oct 2007.

1. C:\Joshy

C:\Joshy How much cake can you eat in a min?

Intro

Ok, i'm josh i'm 14 years old and this is my first proper mod !!!
    Wen i say my first mod i mean case mod, i have built 3 computers [including this one] but never built or modded a case. I became intrested in case modding since i descovered bit-tech about 4/5 months ago. It has taken me quite a while to work out what i want the case to look like and have, but after some playing arround on sketch-up and admiring other peoples work [NOTE: Admiring not copyng] i have a rough idea of what i want. I realy like the look of the lian-li cases basecly because of the inside layout of them, however i am on a very tight budget, so i bought a standard case and re-aranged the inside by fliping the back of the case so the psu is at the bottom of the case and the pci's at the top [much like some lian-li cases]

Standars Case

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was rather supprised when i pluged the front in to my current rig and the sexy fans [well for bog standard any way]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As i have fliped the back panel and mobo tray i had to check the mobo and PSU Still fitted

[​IMG]
    ok so far...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removing the Driver Bay's

I wanted to remove the driver bays as it will give me more room in the case and i will be able to create my own alternitave.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i also had to re drill the holes to attatch the side panels as they did not line up after flipping the back
    [​IMG]

Here a shot of the back
    [​IMG]

Making a devider

i wanted a devider to mainly keep most cables hidden but also for looks.
    i startes with a peice of metle shelving...
    [​IMG]
    ^^shelving^^

and cut to shape and size...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after a bit of mesuring and cutting i got this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all the bits...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you like it so far...

Thats all for today, am back to school to mora [obviously] but will try and bring you some sort of update in the evening.

Any coments and questions ar very welcome.

Stay tuned!!

=]

Last edited: 23 Oct 2007
  2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Looks good so far. Is someone helping you out? I noticed a wedding band on the finger of the guy with the hacksaw.

About the photos... you may want to resize non-essential photos to be smaller than some others, or post thumbnails of them. For example, you have about a half dozen photos focusing on the blue LED fans which really shouldn't be as emphasized as photos of your drilling and cutting.

Oh, and one last thing - your first photo - is it possible to rotate it 90 degrees counter clockwise? While it doesn't make a huge difference now, later on you might confuse people with photos taken when the camera is rotated.

Still, overall it looks like you've got a nice start. Also, don't hesitate to post sketchup drawings if you want your designs to be evaluated. As you've admired and learned from others' work and designs, others may learn from yours.

3. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

its looking very nice.
    ditto on what Stuey said, any sketch-up plans?
    btw, what case is that?

4. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I'm assuming it's his dad.

God, not another you-know-who. :p

Overall, this case is pretty slick so far, but it would be nice to see some plans. :D

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

nice start joshy :thumb:
    I'm definitely gonna have to get a good cable connection, so much to perve at these days :D

6. Stuey

[to Duste]When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me. =)

Oh, no, not another "damn those you-know-who photo critics" critic! lol. I thought my tone was polite enough. What some folk don't realize is that people of all ages browse these forums and enjoy looking at project logs. A project log is half for the modder and half for the audience. Sometimes younger folk require some encouragement, and in other not to be mentioned recent case, very strong criticism. The ultimate goal of everyone is to prepare a kick-ass mod that they are satisfied with and proud of. The better they showcase it, the better they are admired.

A mediocre mod described in a great project log will make people happy. A great mod with a great project log will thrill readers even more. But if you couple a great mod with a lousy project log, the audience will be discouraged and the mod won't attract as much interest as the work and skill deserves.[/to Duste]

7. C:\Joshy

Thanks

yea it is. It was kinda tough that shelving, but done all the rest on own....

Err... will try do that with the pics [thanks for the advice]

Thanks, yea its just a cheepy one, dint want to spend to much on a case as i am doing stuff to it and incase it went badly wrong :wallbash:
    link to case

Will do give the planns soon [PS. there not verry good :worried: ]

thenks people will hopefully have an update tonight... am now going to do some work... not sure what yet...

PS. does anyone have any recomendations for water cooling stuff ???

=]

8. C:\Joshy

Design Idea's

Here are some sketch-up designs of the case...

[​IMG]

On the PSU in this one [Below] Does anyone know if you can get acrylic PSU covers, and where, cos i have seen them but not sure where you can get them:

[​IMG]

[Below] Do you think the resivuars should go where they are or where the bottom fan is???

[​IMG]

One i drew...

[​IMG]

Any comments welcome...

Thanks.. Hopefully more this evening...
    =]

9. Stuey

I think that you should try something different with your PSU orientation. Newer cases isolate the PSU's airflow such that it comes in from an outside vent, and exhausts through another. That way, there is no extra heat exhausted into the case, and it could simplify and improve airflow such that all of the cooler air is directed to the other components.

I too have see the acrylic PSU covers, but I'm not too familiar with UK modding shops, sorry.

Are you planning on a standalone drive support, or a cage? Given your design, it might be worthwhile to just assume you will never have more than one optical drive installed at any given time.

10. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

11. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

SpecialTech (among others?) sell those ACRyan PSU covers :idea:

But there are Aerocool acrylic PSU covers available as well. Kustom PCs should be able to source those for you?
    That particular one is the only one they're advertising, and it's currently OOS... but they obviously know where to get them from, and they're more than happy to source items, if at all possible.

If those interest you... drop Graeme and the gang a line on sales@kustompcs.co.uk ;)

12. C:\Joshy

I kinda Get what your saying, but as its going to be water cooled, would it be a good idea to flip the fan in the PSU so it is sucking air out of the case???

That was the plan [with the DVD Drive] but have been thinking about it and not sure at the moment, but i will let you know. I may make a small rack to house 2.... :idea:

Thanks: Hazardous + radodrill for suggestions with PSU covers will have a look...

Cheers :thumb:

13. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

The PSU has the rear fan as an exhaust; Stuey was referring to the fact that a lot of PC cases these days are compartmentalized to isolate airflow for the cavity used by the PSU from the airflow going through the compartment that houses the main system components.

14. Stuey

Well, mostly. You can still have an isolated PSU without a compartmentalized structure.

I have a SilverStone HTPC case and just received a CoolerMaster 690. Neither are compartmentalized. The PSU is installed such that the top-mounted fan - these days either a 92mm or 120mm fan, is exposed to the external environment. If the front fan is an intake, it draws in air from outside the case and then exhausts it through the vent or fan at the rear of the PSU. If the front fan is an exhaust, it draws in air through the vent or fan at the rear of the PSU, and then exhausts it outside the case.

This way, the airflow throughout the PSU completely bypasses the inside of the computer case. When I was still working on my lanboy mod, I flipped the PSU and cut a blowhole for this purpose, and my temps dropped. A PSU typically draws air from inside the case, but if the case is cramped, it can have a negative impact on the CPU temps.

With the PSU at the bottom of the case, there is nothing really that its fans can do to improve airflow. If anything, it creates some turbulence and will overall worsten the air flow.

A few cases, such as Lian Li's higher-end cases, and the Antec 180/182 do have compartmentalizes sections, but those are also larger cases which require additional structural support anyways.

ALSO, flipping a PSU such that it intakes air from outside the case will quiet it down a bit. A hotter PSU will run its fans faster and louder. If the outside air it's intaking is cooler than if the PSU was intaking from inside the case, then its temperature will be lower, and hence its fan(s) quieter.

15. C:\Joshy

Ok a tad confused... but do you meen if i was to flip the PSU [so the fan at the top is at the bottom] and make say, a hole in the bottom of the case for the fan to in-take and then be extinguished at the Back of the case????

eg.
    [​IMG]

[Sorry i get confused easily]

Am making windows in side panel tonight should have update after that...

=]

16. Stuey

Exactly! This works well if you have the case a bit off the ground, maybe 3/4" or so or more. It's effective for some, a nuissance for others, but still just something to consider.

17. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

that seems like a good idea but if the fan would intake air from the outside, wouldn't it intake a lot of dust as well ?

18. C:\Joshy

kwl cheers i will take into consideration and maybe think about raising it a little bit so the a/f is better.
    :thumb:

Yea did cross my mind may try to make some sort of grill/filter to go on the fan... :thumb:

Sorry i said i would be cutting the windows tonight but have had a bit of a delay and will do it asap. am hoping to get a sheet of acrylic some time this week, so will definately be more progress coming soon... will try and do some thing tomoro ;)

Cheers
    Stay tuned
    =]

PS. Take a look at this its funny!!!

19. MonkeyNutZ

MonkeyNutZ Crysis Fiend

And I'm assuming he just has freakishly hairy arms for a 14 year old.

20. Stuey

With a wedding band?

Tags: