1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Black Silence - passively cooled home theatre PC (COMPLETED+Final Pics)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bennibo, 27 Dec 2016.

1. Bennibo

Bennibo Member

thanks guys! :)

@neilhart: before i build this case, ive used the hardware in Akasa Euler, which is only recommended for CPUs up to a TDP of 35W. Thats why i got the 3220T.
    But even with this CPU, I never felt the need for more power. Basically its just used for Kodi, playing movies, listening to music and surfing the internet in the living room, while comfortably sitting on the couch and it does all that just great ;)

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Just FYI, a heat pipe in a passive (no fans) setup can displace about 15W. So your four heat pipe setup can handle up to 60W. You're comfortably within the envelope.

3. Bennibo

Bennibo Member

Quick-cool rates their 6mm Heatpipes, like i used, with 40Watts. But they say, it depends on various variables how they actually perform.
    Just to give you a little heads up, my cooling system works just fine, even though i used only 3 heatpipes. ;)

since you wont hear anything when the system is on, i wanted 2 status LEDs in the front.
    [​IMG]

later, they will be backlit with LEDs, but for now, its just a flashlight test.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bennibo

Bennibo Member

until i was almost done with this build, i still couldnt decide on the color of the LEDs. I thought about RGB, but i couldnt place that bulky controller anywhere, which usually comes with it and the controls would only be from inside the case. But then i found the Aquacomputer Farbwerk, which is just what i needed. small enough to fit in the case and could be controlled via internal USB connection.
    so i made a made a mount for it in front of the mainboard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the farbwerk fits perfectly in front of the mainboard.
    [​IMG]

also i made mounts for the LED stripe, so it could be clamped right in front of the acrylic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bartacus

Bartacus Member

I love my Farbwerk. So much goodness in such a small package. Perfect choice for a small build, or any build for that matter, if you're interested in software RGB control.

6. Nexxo

Dude. Arduino. You can even drive an RGB array from an ATTINY85.

7. Bennibo

Bennibo Member

Im not sure about the Arduino. Ive never used it and im not familiar with it at all, so that would result in a lot of research.
    The Farbwerk just works out of the box, is easy to install and the software is easy to use. I will probably use it in my next build, which i will be starting with pretty soon, also.

8. Nexxo

Yeah, but with an Arduino combined with Boblight and Kodi you can set up an ambilight array.

9. Bennibo

Bennibo Member

maybe ill check that arduino out for my next build. i guess, it depends if i have time for that. if not, i just use the farbwerk again.

first, i thought about feet made of aluminum, but i still had rubber feet left from when i build my speakers. so i used them instead.
    [​IMG]

also i worked on some ventilation. for this i used a friends CNC-machine.
    [​IMG]

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

I prefer rubber feet, especial on my HTPCs and other equipment that goes under the TV. The main reason is I fond the equipment is less likely to move if bumped or pushed (notable when the kids are pushing buttons they are not suppose to).

11. Bennibo

Bennibo Member

yes, thats true and the PC sits very steady even when the surface is little uneven.

ok, this build is almost done.
    before i gave the aluminum parts away to get them anodized, i sandblasted them.
    [​IMG]

and a few days later, i picked them up like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also, while i waited for the parts to return, i soldered some cables on the LED and tried the lighting.
    [​IMG]

12. storm-83

storm-83 Member

build looks better and better with every update!
    those anodized panels looks really good, can't wait to see some light-action when the case is finished

13. Bennibo

Bennibo Member

thank you! :)

so the final assembly begins!
    first i screwed the standoffs and the mounts for the LEDs to the buttom plate, put the LEDs around and laid the acrylic on top.
    [​IMG]

then i screwed the bluray drive and the frame to the buttom plate.
    [​IMG]

next, i mounted the CPU cooler, which i polished before that...
    [​IMG]

...and mounted the whole mainboard in the case.
    [​IMG]

my heatpipe bending tool worked great
    [​IMG]

putting the heatpipes in and securing them was pretty fiddly. after a while i had thermal paste everywhere and it was hard to get to the screws, which clamp the heatpipes to the heatsink.
    [​IMG]

i was really glad, i tapped so many threats!
    but as you can see, on one side, the SATA ports were in the way of the heatpipe. so i could mount one of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then finally, turning the system on for the first time. went into the bios right away and watched the temperatures. Within one hour the CPU Temp didnt not exceed 44°C. But keep in mind, that all those energy saving options dont work in bios.
    [​IMG]

the lighting in the top doesnt work yet. thats something i still need to do.
    [​IMG]

14. mal

mal Member

Awesome job Bennibo. :clap::clap::clap:

Do you have a dimmer for your lights? Once you put the top ones in, They may be pretty bright for movie night.

mal

15. Bennibo

Bennibo Member

thank you! :D
    actually im using RGB LEDs and im controlling them with a Aquacomputer Farbwerk. So i can control the color, dim them and even turn them completely off when i watch a movie or just want to for whatever reason ;)

16. Bennibo

Bennibo Member

the last thing i had to do, was to attach the LEDs to the top plate. and since i didnt want any screws visible, i glue the mounts on with 2 component adhesive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Nexxo

Supertidy. :thumb:

18. Bartacus

Bartacus Member

Beautiful!! Can't wait to see some temperature testing on this bad boy! :rock:

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

Whoa, that's a great scratch build! It looks fantastic, really neat and tidy. I love the anodized alu but I think I actually prefer the sandblasted finish. Great job.

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That looks utterly fantastic. :thumb: Lights are a bit bright for my taste, but that's just a nitpick.