1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Black Whisper - skectes

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stubkier, 27 Nov 2005.

1. Stubkier

Stubkier What's a Dremel?

Hi

I after spending alot of time, looking at all of the cool mods posted here, I decided to give modding a go for my self (so this is my first mod EVER). . I hope that there aren´t to many grama or spelling mistakes, my english is a bit rusty ( I am from Denmark)

Rigth now I am only in the planing face, so the pictures that I am going to post this time is only skectes - but at some point I will start modding my case.

But none the less I already have a name for my projekt - Black Whisper. Because I am going to paint my case black inside an out, and hopefully it is only going to be a very quiet whisper in the backgrund.

The Hardware:
    • Asus A8V Deluxe
    • AMD 64 3200+ with the Zalman 7000b CU
    • Sapphire 9800 pro with the Zalman Dual Heatpipe
    • 1024 Mb ram = 2*512Mb Corsair CMX512-3200C2
    • NEC ND-3500A DVD±RW, Black
    • Chieftec Midi Tower DX-01B-D-U Black
    • Seagate 7200.7 120GB, 8MB, ATA
    • PSU - Chill-Innovation - CP-520A2
    • + a wide range of differnt casefans (120mm+2*92mm+2*80mm), some more guiet than others.

If there are anybody is wondering the case that i am going to be moding is:

[​IMG]

But Lets get to the skectes:

The first is at view from the side, with the side pannel of:
    [​IMG]

I think some explaining is in order :D
    • The big yellow squre in the middel is the motherbord.
    • The cirkel with the red/brown collour is the Zalman 7000b Cu.
    • All the black figures with the arrows from are fans.
    • the grey boks in the top is my PSU.
    • the wird things in the bottom of the skects will be explained in a few minutes.

The next skecte is with the side pannel on, here you get an idea of my window layout. The window is going to by black plexi 3mm.

[​IMG]

There is also going to be a black window in the top of the case ( at least i think so right now) :

[​IMG]

But i am not sure of the top window, migth dump it for an top 120 mm fan.

I guess you are wondering what the wird thing in the buttom is, matby a close up will clearify things a bit, to right is the "harddrive cooler":

[​IMG]

For those of you who fail to se the obious, the blue things are the Zalman heatpipe coolers and there are two of them ;)

The grey line on the skects repersent clear 3mm alcryl.

The plan is to make an tunnel for the air to "trawel" in, in the front theres is going to be an 92mm fan that blows air in to the tunnel, an under the case thes is going to be an 120 mm fan to suck the air out again.

Be doing this i hope that 1) i won't hear every time i have to load someting from my hardisk. 2) it will keep them nice an cool.

The next part that needs som explaining is the area around the Sapphire 9800 pro, first some drawings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to mount an AC ATI Silencer 3, on the card.

[​IMG]

and in the pannelside place at 80mm fan, and this fanduct, to direct the air to the cooler:

[​IMG]

By doing this I hope that I 1) can provide cool air for my GPU cooler 2) what ever hot air is in the buttom part of the case is going to by sucked out.

I also plan to mount a fanduct directly over the CPU cooler, the fit will (at least it is my goal) will be so good that only the cold air from outside the case will cool the CPU.

The fanduct:

[​IMG]

The last drawing this time around is of the front:

[​IMG]

The plan is to cut out most of the front i replace it with a piece of plexiclass, by doing that i can place my 2*92mm fans as i like.

I also have in mind to cover the inside og the case with Revoltec - Noise-Damping Set, and ofcourse ind black, the wires are going to run in black painted cable trays - I am thinking about topping the NoiseDamping Set of with a layer of black plexi, just to give it that last edge.

I really hope that some of you will have som input, or things that you don't think can be done.

I have a little more planed, but for the moment it is just in my head - when i have i down an drawing, I will post it.

Thats it for now.

Looking forward to some construtive suggestions, especialy on what type of light that I sould go with, I thinking of either white or dark red.

Simon

2. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

hey, nice pictures. i really like the side window, that should turn out heaps good. the window on the top panel of the case looks a bit unco, it mite just be me, its just that thing in the middle, looks off not sure if it will look like that in the RL mod tho

3. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

it looks like a real good setup, though i dont know how you're going to get ventilation under the case if it stands flat on a desk or stand. my only idea is fro some case feet to be made . other wise has a lot of potential

4. Stubkier

Hi agian

Thanks for the inputs.

To Ener, I am not sure what the word "unco" means, but I take it that you don't like the layout ;) If I am getting you right you think that it will look better if I remove the "crossbar" in the middel of the mindow

[​IMG]

To Sickest Gunner if you look very good at the photo of my case, you will notice that it already has feats on it:

[​IMG]

I hope that I have understood your coments the right way, if not please let my know :)

later to day, I will post some new ideas ( at least iI hope so), is goining to be skectes of what is going to happen in the top of the case - im trying to make at internal docking station for my Mp3 player.

Simon

5. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

nice looking mod, though you may want to try using sketchup, that will give you brilliant 3d images :)

6. The_Dude2040

The_Dude2040 What's a Dremel?

ah nuts to sketch up, yes it's a good tool but i find it easyer and quicker to sketch my stuff like Stubkier has done. anyway good looking window Stubkier intesting idea putting the HDD sepertate from the rest of the cooling. diffrent

7. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yeah, when im at uni lectures i tend to design things on paper, and then when i get back i will use sketchup to see if they actually work with proper dimensions.

8. Stubkier

thanks for the comments, the reason that I have put the harddrives in the buttom of the case, is twofold 1) why hide the nice Zalman coolers (I migth paint the blue part black) 2) By butting the hardrive there, i can cut out the drive bays, and get a more cleaner look.

For now I think i will stik to pen and papir - might just at some point use an 3d drawing program.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2005
  9. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

yeah just for that top one it didn't look right, i mean the crossbar didnt look in the middle going accross and it mite just be the drawing, eh just my 2 cents. hope to see the mod when its finished as well looks really good

Last edited: 28 Nov 2005
  10. Stubkier

Small update

Hi

After looking a bit more at my skectes i came to think that the side pannel needs something in the top right corner, to me it looks a bit like is going to tilt.

So i came up wiht the idea to place some sort of logo in the top, I know have I am going to incoorperate it - cut i out a place a pice off black plexi behind it.

By doing this i hope to keep the look ofthe case clinical and black (got to fit to the name).

The logo I am most keen on using is this:

[​IMG]

second runner up is this:

[​IMG]

Another idea that i have worked a bit on is the internal docking station for my Mp3player, that fits a 5,25 drivebay ( it is a Zen miro).
    With it this little thing came (never used it)

[​IMG]

I plan to mount it on a pice of bendt plexi or acryl, so that it can be place in the drive bay - and the running the USB cable internal.

I have modded the stand for the Zen micro so it fits - now I can slide the player in and out in one motion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the parts that i have cut off:

[​IMG]

And yes it is going to be black, I also need to figure out where the hole for the USB cable is going to be.

As for the skectes for the inside of the top part of the case, sorry no time for that.

My studies a using a lot of my time, have a projekt where we are programing an FPGA so that it can decode The scan codes from a keybord, and display them as letters on a monitor.

But hope that have someting to show at the start of the weekend.

How about the light do think that i should go for white or dark red??

If anybody knows of a good premade systems that will allow me to monitor temps as well as control fanspeed pleace let me know.

One final thing to GuardianStorm can you send me a link to that program when I google it, I only get a program that is a addon for another one, is that rigth? thanks in advance!

Simon

11. Stubkier

New top layout

I have come up with some new ideas reagarding the layout of the top panel on my case.

The idea is to but not one but two fan controllers under a sheat of dark plexiglas.

The fan controller I plan to use is the Akasa fancontroller 05

http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa_english/spec_page/control_panels/spec_ak_fc_05.htm

This will allow me to monitor a total of 4 temp, and control all of the fans that I plan to install.

The fast will have counted a total of 7 fans, and that just don't add up with control of 4 fans.

But my plan is to connect the fans in pairs so it will be: "Harddrive fans" (total of 2 fans) , "GPU fans" (total of 2 fans), "CPU fan" ( total og 1 fan) and "in and outlet fans" (total of 2 fans). In total 4 pairs :D

The 4 temp censors will be used to monitor CPU, GPU, NB and Harddrive.

The plan is to place the controllers like this:

[​IMG]

Without any cover the controller looks like this:

[​IMG]

So to macht the theme is going to be painted black.

I would really like some respons, especily i you think something is totally wrong and looks butt ugly ;)

Conserning the colour of the light I am pretty sure is going to be white ( I know it is not a colour ;))

I am stil looking for a god drawing program, i tried skectup, but only for 8 hours, then i became a bit $$.

So if anyone knows of a good FREE program pleace let me know.

More will come soon, after my math final, the 8th of december

Simon

12. Stubkier

Hmm are there really nop one wich has a singel comment on my projekt?

Any kind of feedback would be very nice.

I hope i will get some parts for X-max. So that I can start to mod some of the parts :)

Simon

13. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Why not just use 2 120mm fans in the front insted of the 92mm fans. With the 120's you could run them slower so they will be quiet and still move the same ammount of air (if not more)

Other than that, i like the design, now get started!

(dont worry about comments, they come with time, for instance my log has over 3,500 views and only 15 comments of which 5 are mine :eek: )

14. Stubkier

Thanks for the comment, first the plan was to put also to place 2*120mm fans in the front, but i am not sure that theres is room for it.

If you look at the drawing at the front:

[​IMG]

you might notice som small lines, every time that you have 2 set of blocks it is 2,5 cm, so there is not room for 2*120mm fans.

But perhaps i could cut into the 3,25 drive bay an make the room that way. Because it would be much "cooler" to have 120mm fans in the front.

And i will get started as soon as i can ;)

Thanks again

Simon the Dane

15. Dustin

Dustin What's a Dremel?

i hope you realize that project of yours.It'll be better than you expect.

16. Stubkier

For now this project is but on hold, and have been for a long time now, never realy got started with it.

The reason is that theres is't to much space inside the case, for all the things I want to put in it. That is why I am going for the Lian Li V1200B, there is much more room for all the hardware.

If you want to you can take a look at it:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=113834

The concept of the new project is very similar too this one, black and low noices.