1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Blackbox (almost two years in the making)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by [cibyr], 30 Jul 2005.

1. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Since it was bit-tech that got me into modding in the first place, I guess I owe you guys some sort of a project log ;) Since I never really kept a log - or took near enough photos, this will have to do. It's taken me a damm long time and it's still not really finished, but here is is!

I started with this server tower that my work threw out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stripped it down, painted the insides black, cut it up a bit and added a fan infront of the hard drivers (with mechano! :D ).

[​IMG]

Since then I've cut the outside into 3 pieces (left, right and top), put a window in it, put two fans in the window, put a handle on the top, painted the outsides midnight blue (with lots of clearcoat on top), re-wired all the lighting (including the LEDs in the fans) to switches on the side, added holes for the front fan and added front USB.

For the USB I stole on of the backplates, and extended it to reach the front from my old IS7-E (865PE board, had a 2.8c on it :) ). Unfortunately, my new mobo has its USB headers in a different spot, so it got extended again:

[​IMG]

Quality!

The system in it is an AMD 3500+ on an ASUS A8N-SLI with 1GB OCZ PC3200 and dual 6600GTs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My workspace (actually the family room, but hey):

[​IMG]

Putting it together:

[​IMG]

And the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Without the flash:

[​IMG]

Course, there was more work to it than that - cutting and re-wiring, more cutting, more re-wiring, sanding, painting, yet more re-wiring etc etc but I don't have photos of all that ;)

Got some rounded IDE/floppy cables coming on monday so I'll get them in and tidy up the wires a bit more then :) Oh yeah, and she's heavy as a mofo, so that handle comes in VERY handy.

2. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

hey cool case, quick question about the handle, im putting one (one handle like that) on my raidmax, and i was wondering where you got your handle? i was gonna get one at home depot

Also can that hold such a big case? how did you mount it? just some screws and washers? can the washers hold it? because i was gonna make a giant mount to give more support, but if just some washers can handle that big case, my raidmax is fine

3. [cibyr]

I got the handle from Bunnings, I guess home depot would be your local equivalent. I mounted it with pop-rivets, nothing to really screw into unless you use fan screws, and they didn't fit.

4. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

pop rivets, hmmm are yours plastic?

can you actually lift the case with it? i didnt think pop rivets would really be strong enough

machine screws didnt work?

but ya so your top panel doesnt twist or anything? (from lack of support to grab on to?)

5. [cibyr]

They're brass, I've never seen a plastic pop rivet :/

It holds up fine, doesn't even bend. It's got two thumbscrews in the back and the front sits under a fold of metal. The thing is damm heavy so I figure the same should work for pretty much any case. Don't know what you mean by machine screws, so just assume I didn't think of that.

6. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

machine screws are kinda like bolts, they have nuts

oo ya the only pop rivets ive seen are plastic for fans, kk thanx, i guess ill just use screws or rivets and not go through the trouble of making a giant mounting bracket, if just some pop rivets can hold up a big case like that

thanx alot

you should stealth or paint those drives

7. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

yea pain those drives XD its the only queer looking thing on that case, other wise great job :D

8. [cibyr]

Yeah, was gonna paint the drives. Painted the fan controller coz it had a removable faceplate, but never got around to the drives and now I don't wanna spent any more money on paint. The rust on the floppy drive adds to the character :p

9. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Thats a cool finish on the case man :)

10. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Bboy_Jon, even airplanes are held together with rivets ;)

11. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

thats almost two years of your life wasted... :wallbash:

lol, only joking, looks amazing! :jawdrop: lots better than mine anyway.

c.u.later