1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard surprised by Diablo 3 DRM reaction

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Aug 2011.

1. jelderkin

jelderkin What's a Dremel?

online games are by far better then those offline ever since I first played online I fell head over heels in love

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

[​IMG]

Blademrk likes this.
  3. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

An interesting article - not least since it shows that major ISP outages can last quite some time (6 days here, which would mean problems with Steam also since offline mode reportedly times out after 3 days).

Another example: Office 365, Hotmail and SkyDrive hit by outage - if a company with Microsoft's resources can't maintain online services 24/7, how is a (comparatively) smallfry gaming publisher going to manage it?

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Dont know if it takes three days. But, you only need to login to Steam, that can be made with any kind of internet access.
    The problem the article writer had was the always-on DRM that forces a permanent online access.

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've got steam installed on 3 PC's in my house:
    • My old system (which is not connected to the net at all) which is still running the old interface in offline mode.
    • The 2nd is connected to the internet with steam running in offline mode (Password is also not stored on this machine, so that the 7yr old in the house cannot go on-line and accidently buy stuff - this is quite a low powered machine so it struggles to play anything other than the casual games I've installed on there - PvZ and so on),
    • My main PC which is nearly always logged into steam.

I've had no issues with the 2 off-line PC's at all. Can't say the same about my Internet connection, the router seems to lose connection a couple of times a day (you can guarantee it'll be when I want to play a game)

6. Hadryon

Hadryon What's a Dremel?

I live in the south end of Mississippi, 60 miles from the coast, in the deep woods. I'm far enough from cell towers to make it impossible to use a 3G connection, the landlines don't support DSL here (and dialup happens at 14.4kbps at best). There is no cable connection possible.

So, since I'm not going to move just to play Diablo 3, and I cannot obtain an always-on connection, my options are three-fold: (1) don't play Diablo 3; (2) buy the game, then let it sit on the shelf; (3) buy the game, then go download the full cracked version at some coffeeshop on the coast. Guess which I'll go for?

Tags: Add Tags