1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard thinking about a new MMO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Aug 2007.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Played it once... Never again! I think they'd be at a loss. Ultima Online 2 would be cool tho.

2. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Really cause I play WoW and I have a clean house, a full time job and a social life. I play WoW sometimes for 4 hours a day. What you just did is basically stereotype everyone who plays WoW in two paragraphs. I'd like to see these "families" torn apart by this game that you are referencing to. Seriously, I do. If someone is neglecting their house and family for a game, then that is not the games fault. That person has a mental illness. Becoming seriously addicted to a game isn't the games fault. There is something in their head that tells them they need to be doing all of this.

I personally know about 60 people who play WoW and not a single one of them are like what you described. 15 of them were in the top raiding guild on their server and still maintained a 4.0 in high school. 5 just graduated College this last spring with 3.8 GPAs or higher while still playing WoW 3-5 hrs/day and also having 30 hr/week jobs as well.

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when that opinion is borederline stereotyping 9 million people all at once, I really can't take it seriously.

/rant

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Here comes the "is gaming addiction a mental illness" arguement again. Sigh.

The fact of the matter is that for a well-balanced, active person with a stable disposition then there is no issue with being addicted to WoW. It'll be like any other hobby.

However, not everyone is perfectly balanced and the game is both competitive and social in nature, thus encouraging people to keep playing. Gaming as an activity also attracts people who want to stay in their rooms or people who crave rewards for completing objectives. Then you get people like me who just like playing games and want to get everything they can out of the experience. To those people, gaming does become an issue and WoW is a focus here because it is so high profile and successful. It also encourages people to keep playing for long periods of time to get their moneys worth out of it.

There are people who I know who have been utterly destroyed by gaming addiction, though not from WoW, and I have knowledge of others who have been destroyed by WoW addiction. Games are not the problem and nor is WoW, which is simply an obvious example of the issue. The problem is the approach people take to these games.

4. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Very well written. I hate people who blame games for everything. Weather it is violence, addiction or anything else. Everyone is looking for a scapegoat, and it seems gaming is the first one people go for.

5. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

My brothers marriage ended mostly cause his wife couldnt keep off MMO's and MUD's (even got addicted to text based online games). Guild wars was one of the worst for her (I played it and it bored the s*** out of me) so I can only Imagine what WoW would have done to her.
    anyway, I want blizzard to get on with making Diablo III, after starcraft 2 that is.

6. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I haven't played WoW either.

When it was comming out, I was playing DAOC (for a brief period after UO). Reading it's features and FAQ, the lack of RvR/PvP just made me to laugh at it an forget that exists.

Then I saw the light!
    I start playing EVE Online :cooldude:

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Well, they should have enough money to pretty much take over the world by now.

8. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

used to play WoW a lot.. had to quit for personal reasons.. might play again someday though.. `tis quite a fun game when you have a good guild. World of Starcraft will be a huge hit, I'm sure.

9. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

82 days played on my warlock that I stopped playing after the expansion came out, and 67 days played on my shaman since the expansion.

... looking back on it I wish I had all that time back in work hours, i'd be a lot less poor =(

10. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Guild Wars IS Diablo III lol.

11. jweller

jweller What's a Dremel?

StarCraft is already coming out, no question there. http://www.starcraft2.com This "other" would be something else. I'm hoping it is Diablo III. The diablo community has only been waiting for, what, 7 years. =P

12. jweller

jweller What's a Dremel?

If it does turn out to be WoW2 oh god how I pray they get away from the aweful cartoon character look and move toward realism and natural movement.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ehh there only interested in the money, making another game to take advantage of their consumers wallets.

14. HourBeforeDawn

well I will agree with you there Lineage 2 is sooo much better then WoW and a lot more challenging and like 10 times the graphical appeal but L2 does require a more high end system do to all those graphics and well if WoW was to go that route then people playing it on Dial Up and people with low end computers wont be able to spend their money on the game because they wouldnt be able to play it, but seeing how I dont have any of those issues I do hope they make a better looking game if they do I may consider trying it out.

15. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Want I really want is a decent, up to date, sci-fi MMO. Anarchy Online is great and has the best community of any online game I've played, but is getting very dated in terms of graphics and control. I tried so hard to like EVE but in the end I just found it boring and repetitive to the extreme, I loved the X series but for some reason I didn't enjoy EVE in the same way.

16. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Never played WOW. I tried Eve online a while back for about 4 months and although a very deeply rewarding game, I found mining/mission running and the general playing experience to be too much like holding down a job. Ones enough for me.
    I found Guildwars to be my cup of tea, low level cap and just enough variety to keep you entertained for short while like Diablo 2.
    With the plethora of quality PC titles about and ones that are on the horizon. There's just not enough time to stick to one title.

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

You've obviously never really delved into EVE :p
    I personally have lots of fun playing EVE, and spend less then 5mins traveling anywhere

18. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I'll be wiling to bet my e-peen that the next blizzard game after SC2 is going to be diablo 3, I'm also willing to bet that it's going to be an MMO it's going to be based on the concept of heaven vs hell, and it's going to have heavy particle and shader based effects. Don't expect to even hear about it until 2008 or 09, as they don't want it to cannabalize the WoW market and wow still has yet another expansion pack.

I played wow for roughly a year, I saw it consume some of my friends IE people with 100-200 played days, no social life etc, I played pretty sparsely I had more to do than sit around and play. but I got to the point where time input was keeping me from advancing, I was very skilled in pvp but I just didn't want to grind 10+ hours to unlock heroics spend 1-2 played days farming purples mats etc. There's an odd point, the game requires hundreds of hours of endgame content for the hardcore players, but at the same time people like me who jts want to jump in play are turned off by the huge time commitment just to experience said end game content, on top of that all the patches and new content is mostly tailored towards end game players making the march for new chars and players even longer.
    The last time I played the game was at the WSVG wow 3v3 tourney, we of course played the number 1 ranked team in the wrold (at the time) Turtle Force, and we of course got owned like no other *sigh* it was a sweet reward when Turtle force lost to pandemic, it woulda been a sweeter reward had we walked away with that $30,000 tho

19. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

If wow was like crack what will wow2 be like heroin? deadlynightshade?

yep my personal experiance with wow was not quite as extreme but I rember people playing at the same time having this happen to them.

20. HourBeforeDawn

lol thats very true the next MMORPG probably is Diablo 3

Tags: Add Tags