1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood red - 26.07.06 - A New Life

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by huren, 23 Apr 2006.

1. huren

huren New Member

Take on transit fecked TJ06.
    A load of gear that i cant put my kids through school because of........
    and you get another case in the making from me :evil:

At work the other day i noticed that we had a damaged TJ06 that we couldnt credit, just sitting there collecting dust all by itself without a hope of hell of ever being outside of a box....
    Untill i came along.

Well yeah ~

- Hardware -

Opteron 165
    DFI SLi-DR or expert ( currently have dr )
    MSI 7800gtx ( will SLI or just go 79's )
    2048 GEil value
    Silverstone ST65ZF 650w
    LG dvd writer
    250gb x 3
    160gb
    2 x White Cathodes

- Watercooling -

Swiftech Apogee
    DangerDen NV78
    Swiftech MCW30 ( only if i use the expert )
    DangerDen dual 5" bayres
    Swiftech MCP655
    Swiftech MCR120

Well heres the case with a little hardware inside
    [​IMG]
    The front which has a few minor dents and dings
    [​IMG]
    All the covers were pretty wasted but this one i didnt fix ( beat the **** out of to get straight )
    [​IMG]
    The whole rear of the case was deformed, i couldnt even get the I/o plate out nor the wind tunnel when i first got it out of the box.
    [​IMG]
    I sitll cant mount a fan in the rear, due to all the damage
    [​IMG]
    mmmmm hardware
    [​IMG]
    And an empty case as im sure youve all seen a TJ06 before
    [​IMG]
    In this picture you can see a little of the smashed in damage the floor had
    [​IMG]
    It was concave with around a 6cm depth
    Now the plan for the rad is to mount it at the front of the case as below
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Do away with the grill for that tiny little improvement in air flo
    [​IMG]
    Now ive go tto get around how im goign to mount the res, due to the stupid HDD rack being in the way passing tubing is goign to be a tad of a dramma
    [​IMG]
    And its also good to know that i cant see the mounting screw holes on the res _b
    [​IMG]
    But all the planning had to go on hold as i had to go to work with the case , so in went some temp cooling *_*
    [​IMG]
    Nothing like a little mirror, and a pelter cooled set up
    [​IMG]
    and some white cathodes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well the case was a big hit with customers at work with something as simple as a little mirror work.
    This week i plan to work on mounting for all the h20 with the minimal internal choping as i want to polish it up or maybe even get the chasis chromed.
    The out sid eof the case ill start getting ready for a little primer work, and the make a plan on designing how the paint work will go.
    I want to paint it something different. Something pimp to go with the internal bling....

Last edited: 26 Jul 2006
  2. huren

huren New Member

Well anyahow yesterday we got the case primed.

Stpped off the top as im nto doing anything inside bar acrylic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the damage that the case has had on teh side panel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now seeign the case is allready base coated all i had to do was give it a little scuff with some scotch brite, but i want a mint finish as the case will be going a black with several perals that will show all imperfections, so i gave it a little 250g wet sand.
    [​IMG]
    I also decided to change the etch primer to this
    [​IMG]
    Has a deaper key then the previous
    [​IMG]
    Then i got my b-arch to clean my gun out
    [​IMG]
    then along came the primer
    [​IMG]
    Now the areas ill be covering to hide the dul inner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i did a little floor plannign today, but the piece i had wasnt long enough
    [​IMG]
    so i had to hit it in two parts, but the final will be in one
    [​IMG]
    And i really have to decide weither or not too keep using this coolit unit, cause i want bling white 1/2" and lees wires like this one.
    [​IMG]
    and these
    [​IMG]
    which connects to the controller
    [​IMG]
    How ever i do want to keep this cooling power :haha:
    [​IMG]

Well tomoorw ill get some more internal acrylic work done, maybe make some new fan grills.
    and ffit the wheels which ill polish up bling tomorrow ^_^
    [​IMG]

3. huren

huren New Member

The above post's have been from earlyer this week.... now for todays work....

Alright time for a few little progress pictures.

I havnt had that much time to take pictures of this case due to work + family, but i have been slogging away on the case none the less.
    Over the last week ive reprimed the case, painted it one colour which i wasnt happy with and resorted back to my trademark colour XD~
    So heres a few update pictures of were the case is at. I only just finished painting the case this morning at around 10 so i havnt got around to polishing or fitting everything up as of yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We also got the wheels attached to the case, and cranked a little bit of poplishing to them which ill show you in another update.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Few more little updates.
    I started cutting the case this afternoon, working the inside acrylic work, and min went nuts on the rad again :cute:

Ill be makign an red + mirror acrylic cover for the top section of the case to hide any unwanted clutter.
    [​IMG]
    And this is a close up of what itll look like
    [​IMG]
    Glued the hdd cover into place, now i just have to cut + fit the 5" bay cover
    [​IMG]
    All the back of the case will be done in the same fashon as you can see from this piucture with the side mobo cover.
    [​IMG]
    even a bad quality pic shows you have reflective it will be
    [​IMG]

4. huren

huren New Member

Blood Red Comment thread

you all know what to do.

Enjoy :)

5. huren

huren New Member

As i said above min hacked away at the rad while i did nothing.
    and this is how it went...
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]
    ill be giving the fins a bit of a etch, as its taken all the orig blue colour that the rad was to the brown under etch swiftech used.
    [​IMG]
    And while i was typing this out min gave me the near finished product
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I thkn this will goo pretty good with the case after i polish it ( its just been cut, no polish as of yet )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now i just have to paint the inside of the front panel as it seen when on the case >:[
    Get some more acrylic to finish the floor, and other parts. And fit the hardware for a test fit XD~

Well thats my log upto date for all you mod hungry modders out there in bit-tech land.
    And for all of yous wondering " but what about tj03 and pc90 " never fear ill be updating tj03 in a few weeks, and pc90 sometime after that as its an on going project...

And as always, please feel free to comment on this project HERE

6. huren

huren New Member

Well my h20 gear has arrived, i got a HDD block with it but im nto going to add it to the system as its alloy, and not to mention ill have no room for tubing.
    Mind you i am going to remove the dvd writer and just use an enclosure which will give me xtra room for tubing.
    Im sure youve all seen the gear before but hell whats a few more pictures of it :blurp:.

MCP655 x 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apogee cpu block, now this block is alot thinner then the rev.1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MCW30 chip set block ( if i go DFI Expert )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More updates to come :thumbsup:

7. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Nice, nice nice.

Great job so far. I have always wanted to see one of those cases modded well, and your doing it.

Great paint job, Im lovin that colour.

I really really like that CoolIT Systems Freezone and am currently weighing up it's pro's & cons. Have you made any benchmarks using it? (Air vs CoolIT)

Cheers :thumb: and keep up the good work!

Last edited: 24 Apr 2006
  8. huren

huren New Member

UPDATE TIME!

Heres just one more round up of all the gear, i wont be using the hard drive blocks though.
    I think ill wait for my Dangerden aquabay, i mean the quailty of these blocks are how does one say..... :grr:
    [​IMG]
    well you can now say im an expert ;p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the heart of the beast
    [​IMG]
    But enough hardware lets get to some mounting ^_^
    [​IMG]
    I must say i wasnt really a fan of this block, but after teaming it up with the chipset block how could i not
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next it was getting the video card all mounted up, i never took pics as all i wanted to do was get it done.
    [​IMG]
    I opted to keep the pump mounting under the 5" bays, which has worked out really well
    [​IMG]
    And with all the blocks mounted it was time to work out the tube routing.

This took a little bit of time as those of you that are under water can agree with. Not only was it about the best performance but also looks, as i want the case to be a stand out from other watercooled case's.

Ive opted for the thick walled 1/2" tygon for its awsome bends, its staunch look and pure quality.

But on a sad note i realised i didnt quite have enough to work it through the complete case and had to resort to some 1/2" vinyl that will have to do untill the rest of our tygon turns up from dangerden.

[​IMG]
    As i said in a post above i work be using an optical drive in the case, but an enclosure so this gave me alot more room and a better look to teh front of the case with just the bay res mounted in its place.
    [​IMG]
    mmm shiny XD~
    [​IMG]

9. huren

huren New Member

Now to get the res into place i had to drill more screw holes which really was alittle bit of a downer as when i insert the red 3mm leds intot he rear as i intend to all ill see is 4 unused / needed holes :mad: but im sure i can get over it.
    [​IMG]
    Now with the res fitted i could get a better feel for how the routing would take place, and what tubing would go were etc.
    Witht he layoout of the case we decided to set the loop as follows...

- res > pump > rad > nv78 > cpu > chipset > res -

We found with it being this way there was less clutter in the case, and apearence is everything now
    [​IMG]
    Were getting there, dont mind the coolsleves on the vinyal as it was out of an old case a year or so ago
    [​IMG]
    And after about 15 minutes we go it finished with from what we could see minimal issues.
    [​IMG]

now with that done i wanted to get a feel of hwo the case would apeal to me and others with the side on.
    [​IMG]
    I found it to look clean, just that vinyal tubing standing out like an eye sore.
    But with that it was also time to see how it looked witht he red acryic_mirror in place as this will be in the case giving me not only a tidyer appearence but allowing me to be lasy for the time being with my cable managment ;p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now i know myself as well as anyone out there leak testing _should_ be done before hardware is mounted, but i have confidence in myself and the gear i use. But for those of yous that are new to the secne i highly reccomend testing before mounting ;p.
    Seeing i wasnt able to see in all the little odd spots with the normal lighting i had in my workshop i thought why not use mywhite cathodes to assist, and they did a great job allowing me to see everywere.
    [​IMG]
    and after around an hour of testing with my external test psu from something in the early 80's i was ready to mount the rest of the gear and take some not quite finished money shots XD~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well thats about all i have for now.
    Theres stilla fair few things to do to the case.

* finish all the internal acrylic work
    * mount leds in the res, and white leds inline witht he tubing.
    * fit the required tygon
    * recut and polish the case
    * and other misc. things ill find over the next few days.

And with the loop in play im getting pretty good temps
    [​IMG]
    I've dropted over 20 degress on the gpu and sitting at the same as i was with the freezeone cooler, so im plenty pleased.

ENJOY !

10. huren

huren New Member

thanks zr_ox.
    This case is a bit of a challange as its really not designed for the h20 enclined, but thats what makes this case so much fun to work on.
    As for the freezone system, its pretty good.
    I was having a few problems with the pump runing intermiditly which ive passed on to cool-it and should be resolved with the next rev release.
    As for a comparison from it to the gear i have in the case atm im really not noticing any difference in temps which is really quite strange, but it wont be untill i put the system under load that ill be able to compare to the cool-its 23 degress highest temp during full load.

I plan to get some of the new ( its new to nz if it isnt new in your neck of the woods ) honey comb 2 x 1024 modules which have timmings of 2-2-2 which is highly impressive for 1 gig sticks.

Well thats all for now people, i hope you are enjoying my project as much as im enjoying bring it to you all.

11. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Thanks for the info :thumb:

Its strange that your CoolIT freezon is sitting at about the same temps as your air cooler! That's definatley not right at all, but granted that 23oC under full load is still impressive.

Did you remember to adjust the Thermal Control Module? The ExtremeMhz review of the CooIT Freezone ran into temp problems, which were solved by adjusting the Thermal Control Module. If you have not adjusted this then follow the link and scroll down to the "Performance" section, it might help.

Your rig is going to fly if you get those RAM modules, I read a review on them recently and they are great. Good Luck with them.

!EDIT! Just checked out the update...Its really coming together which is awesome. Great job! Just one thing though I think your Peltier element should be getting better temps. I know the Swiftech Apogee is great but it should not net the same results as Peltier cooling.

Cant wait to see the end result :thumb:

12. huren

huren New Member

The 15degrees i got with the coolit was with the controller turned to full noise which isnt really that impressive after getting 23 degrees @ 2.7 with the swiftech gear.
    As much as i did liek the simplisity of the freezone system it just doesnt have the looks as good old 1/2" has, plus there was no real challange in mounting it into the system.

13. ajampaniki

ajampaniki New Member

Nice setup you got there man. But would look alot better if you paint the inside.

14. huren

huren New Member

Ive gone off internally painted case's, it sort of makes it " to much ", imo it would not look better, hense i have no painted it.
    Ill leave the internal to be covered with mirror, as planned. But im also going to see a mate for getting the internal chasis chrome dipped which would just make it so much more apealing.
    We were thinking of polishing it up by hand, but ill wait a while and do a little more testing on other case's to see how it will look before i attempt it on this or any other project liek this.

i thank you for your input none the less.

15. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

why do u have the hot water going into the res :confused:

normally you go -rad -> res -> pump -> blocks -> rad-

16. huren

huren New Member

lol ?

surly you are kidding me right....

in most instance's you would liek your loop to go
    pump > rad > cpu > ( other blocks ) > res > pump

17. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i dont think most people do that ... (well i didnt think they did)

beacause if you do that you end up with the hot water in your res, whereas if you have the cool stuff in there, it should be cooler when enetering your CPU

18. huren

huren New Member

Oh well guys ill call this "Case Closed " XD~
    The case is now sitting on display and getting great response.

There is still afew little things i need to do to make it look even beter and that is do the inner acrylic work, and hide the rear cables ( with acrylic ) but i can do that graduly over time.

So here is a few more shots :hip:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So this case is pretty much done, i can do the rest of the work without the case as i have another one at home ( for another mod )

Cheers Bit-tech :)

19. huren

huren New Member

Well i find it better in the res, and im sure if people posted ( :( ), they would most proply agree.

But anyhow, thanks for all of you who have visited my little project, i hope you enjoyed it as much as i did brining it to you all.

Now its time to get back onto TJ03 Terror, and also my Lian-Li PC90 mods.

20. huren

huren New Member

hows it going BT ?
    Well i i thought i would give you guys a little update.

Ive changed a few parts and using as follows..

Msi Diamond Plus
    Amd Opteron 170
    2 x XFX 7900GTX's Sli
    2 x 1024 Geil sticks.
    2 x NV-78 Sli blocks.
    Dangerden TDX
    Dangerden D5
    Silverstone ST56

Now for a few pictures of the or'deal ~

Take two times pretty box's with 2 times smaller not so pretty box's
    [​IMG]
    open one of these pretty box's and we find one of these things
    [​IMG]
    open them both and we have two pretty things from pretty box's
    [​IMG]
    adn the not so pretty box opening reveals
    [​IMG]
    combined we get
    [​IMG]
    AND........................
    [​IMG]
    THAT ^^
    And heres a few more pictures of the nearing finished case ( yes neally finished ! )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now sadly i left the side panels fo rthe case at work so excus the white cathodes >_<
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now i know someones going to ask Whats with the power cable going across the hard drives and over the video cards ?!?!?!?....
    This is due to MSI putting the 8 pin in the prick of all places, and the st56 cord being somewhat short, so i couldnt bring it behind and under the cards.
    I will most probly change this to a 750watt this week which has more length.

i got the front panel acrylic done as you can se ein the first photo, now all remains in that area is the backign panel, and behind the hard drives so no cables are seen bar the required pci, sata, power.
    I will also shoot a few more picture of the rest of the work im goign to do this week ( cables, tubing, leds, paint and, etching )

Last but not least........

TONIGHTS PCITURES WERE BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE ONE AND ONLY
    [​IMG]