1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blu-ray adds more content protection

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Btw, I forgot to mention the BD+ site... it's a work of art. :lol:

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Very minimalist. Maybe it's going for the Tate Modern?

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

An random commenter on the DailyTech website said:
    This is so true, the more a company or product touts that its safe and "hacker proof" the more effort hackers will put into breaking it. My money is on a hack of BD+ within a year of its release. That is a hack that will work with any disc of that generation before they film companies get annoyed and release a new "hacker proof" protection.

6. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

I really dislike copy protection :nono: I say if some takes the efford to get past it then they should be left alone :rock: For the amount of space on a blue ray DVD you could put a 1,000,000,000,000 segment code on it, then no one would try and crack it :D but the big question is, is it worth the money to create better copy protection for some products :confused:

7. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Heheh -- supose it could be argued that the DRM companies themselves are training the hackers! :clap:

In instances like this, my ££ would always be on the hackers ;)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, it's the same with any "industry" - people love the challenge and the tougher the better. ;)

9. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I have little faith that this new DRM won't just be a pain in the but to legal owners of said discs. :(

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Somebody needs a verb ;)

Anyways, I'm waiting indefinitely for legal DRM-free content. Until it happens, I'll be sticking either with theatres (rare), bit-torrent (rarer - too little worth watching a second time) or just stick with podcasts and such, which are free, devoid of DRM, and actually worth my time.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i give it one month and it is cracked.

12. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

If it is looking for hacked players, surely it'll be just a case of finding ways to disguise the hacks from the disc's method, rather than needing to crack each disc's individual code.

I say 'just', it will still probably take a lot of effort.

13. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I was hoping that blu-ray would win this "format war". But they just keep screwing it up.

HD DVD players can be had for 1/3 of the price for a blu-ray player aswell, so blue-ray's chance of survival seems to shrink every day.

14. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Forget Blue Ray + HD DVD!!!

U will only be dissapointed if u buy either of these formats now, they are in their infacy take the recent change over to java on the format and all this cracked copy control cannot be good so soon into a formats life either, spoke to a rep the other day in my local audio visual dealership and he told me people are still paying upto and over 1,000 for DVD players and not choosing the £300-1,500 odd pound BD+HD, this to me speaks volumes.

If anything u should buy a upscale player for your old DVD format. It's just like the beta max Vs. vhs wars all over again. And lets be honest the price of Blue Ray is mad for a film.

Even the idea of using the format for data consumption is stupid. Hard disks are dirty cheap now.

15. quack

quack Minimodder

Hooray for more pointless DRM that does nothing but affect and place a burden on the consumer who legitimately purchases the discs and does absolutely nothing to prevent piracy or copyright infringement.

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I said this in another thread recently - none (AFAIK) of the high-end AV manufacturers have a player for either HD DVD or BluRay. Now, I don't know whether this is because they're waiting for high end decoders from Faroudja and the like, or whether it's because they're waiting for the dust to settle, but it's telling, nevertheless.

As for releasing a new form of protection that may require firmware updates - ARE THEY MAD? Bearing in mind that most of the players on sale are currently consumer level, I'd be surprised if even half of current owners even knew what a firmware update was or, more importantly, how to go about getting one and applying it.

Those that want to pirate the disc will find a way around the protection, sooner or later. The rest of the people, i.e. the vast majority, will be inconvenienced, and some of those people might even resort to hacking the protection to watch the movie that they paid money for.

Penalising the wrong people.

17. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Most importantly.. is it compatible with the PS3?

If its not then Sony might as well pack up

18. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

LMAO, could just see the head lines "Sony's flagship console unable to play their own media" But honestly i doubt its really an issue do to the PS3's PC likeness. Firmware updates to the drive and codecs etc are all that would be needed and his could be rolled out in one of Sony's many firmware updates.

19. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i give it 2 months, at the most

20. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

hmm... hardware players are not gonna get hacked very soon (or at all), but I give a "patched" software player maybe a month before a bypass is found. Its back to the memory scanning...

Tags: Add Tags