1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Blu-ray drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hurrakan, 9 Apr 2011.

1. hurrakan

hurrakan New Member

I'm trying to choose a blu-ray drive that is fast at reading/rippping blu-rays (as well as DVDs and CDs) and quiet.

I don't really care about writing/burning.

At the moment I'm deciding between:

- Pioneer BDR-205BK
    - Plextor PX-LB950SA

A customer review on overclockers.co.uk said the the Pioneer didn't rip blu-rays as fast as they liked - but other comments on the web seem to suggest that this is one of the fastest drives. Also I think this Plextor drive is based on the Pioneer drive anyway - but which is faster at reading?

Do all blu-ray drives upscale DVDs? The Samsung SH-B123L is the only drive I've seen that specifically mentions DVD upscaling to 1080p but a review of that drive said it was very slow.

I hear that LG and recent Samsung drives have riplock? If so, they are out.

Thanks

Last edited: 9 Apr 2011
  2. entity

entity New Member

I recently bought the LG CH10LS20, it does have riplock but it is easily removed(at own risk) and I am happy with it, nice and fast even with bd50.
    I don't think you can get fast and quiet with how fast a disc needs to spin, that seems to be the main reason for riplock to exist on some drives to keep them quiet

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

yeah as far as i have read all of the new lg and samsung drives have riplock, though there are modified firmware available for many models to remove it. i've been looking into getting a bd rom and from what i've seen lg and samsung have the majority of drives that read over 8x speeds on bd. otherwise it looks like you have to go over to burners to get higher read speeds at an almost double cost.
    as far as i know upscaling on pc will be done via capable playback software and primarily handled by either the gpu or cpu depending on the player. it shouldn't matter what make or model the drive is.

4. stevenasrock

stevenasrock New Member

i have just unpackt the plextor 950sa it got firmware 1.03 an need advice regarding software an how to make run at ist best

any one XD

Tags: