1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray playback advice

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by martyp, 1 Mar 2009.

1. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

Hey guy's,

I've just installed Windows Vista as the primary OS on my Mac Pro. Now I was thiking if it would be possible to enable playback of Blu-ray movies within Vista with my setup:

Mac Pro (w/nVidia 8800GT) > Vista Ultimate x64 > 30" Apple Cinema Display

Now I know that the ACD doesn't support HDCP and I doubt the GPU does either. Althought is there any software packages availible out there that I could install to by-pass that problem?

Or should I just forget about doing this with what I've got?

Thanks in advance,

Marty

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

3. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Though it seems the trial doesn't support Blu-Ray playback. :(

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

If you have a Blu-Ray drive then try AnyDVD-HD.
    Also although Cyberlink Power DVD trial may not support Blu-Ray playback, I beleive the free alternative "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" will do so, I know it at least plays back .mkv files.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2009
  5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

D'oh.

Sadly, I have a feeling there won't be an open source player as the technology needs to be licenced.

6. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've not actually bought/installed a Blu-Ray drive yet as I wanted to make sure I'd be able to use it first.

I'd be willing to buy a copy of PowerDVD w/Blu-Ray support to watch them on, but with HDCP I thought I'd need a 'back-door' approach to watch them. :worried:

So you think it'll work ok though even though I don't officially have HDCP support? If so, I'll be adding the drive soon. :rock:

EDIT: Looks like AnyDVD-HD will do the trick! Thanks for the link Delphium! :thumb:

EDIT 2: Just ordered the Sony BDU-X10S drive from Scan since it came with PowerDVD BD edition. I'll update this thread when I get a Blu-Ray movie to test it with.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2009