1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blu-ray player released today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 17 Oct 2006.

1. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

nice find Aankhen. In looking at the wikipedia articles you linked, I found it a little surprising that a "1x" HD-DVD and a "1x" Blu-ray drive would both transfer at 36Mbit/s...but the Blu-ray players technically run at "1.5x", thus giving the 54Mbit/s speed -- and, therefore, the potential for a better quality/higher bitrate movie, too. I always thought the "x" just referred to the speed of conventional media (ie: a CD in a regular CD player, a DVD in a regular DVD player)....guess I was wrong about that, or they just decided to change things with Blu-ray.

I just can't wait for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD to mature, get cheaper, and for one of the formats to win (or both be destroyed and replaced by something better and cheaper). Aren't we approaching about the 1 yr mark since HD-DVD came out in the US? And about 6 months for Blu-Ray? Both types of players are still just computers, still 15x (or more) the cost of a DVD player, and still working through all sorts of flaws. Get on with it already!

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No, it's because RTT got sick of people using it constantly. Must have happened at least a year ago.

Anyways, I'm thinking HD-DVD will win for a number of reasons, but I'm certainly not buying into either until a winner is decided and prices are sane. But as far as I'm concerned, Sony's *really* blown the launch of this stuff (mind you, the HD-DVD camp is hardly better off, but slightly so - at least people can put HD and DVD together and figure out what it is, quite the contrary to Blu-Ray).

3. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

i'll wait for the holo-disks..... :)

4. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I refuse to believe there is any reason why sony cannot fit games in 25gb when pc games have fit within a few gb for years.

Two random games off my computer installed:
    Unreal Tournament 2004 = 5.19gb
    Call of Duty 2 = 3.46gb

So I must ask. What exactly are they trying to pull. :eyebrow:

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The thing which I don't get is this: Originally Sony said the full 25GB was needed to get HiDef output, but X360 was doing HiDef output without 25GB of space.

So in my view, it shows a problem with the Dev kit.

6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Sony (or any company) will say anything to promote a unique feature which they have. that is why they are saying you 'need' all that space for HD games.

I'm quite sure developers could easily compress the data as with any other software and put it onto a standard DVD, but then where would be the point of that expensive BD?

I would perhaps even expect Sony to subsidise developers to put their games onto what is a more expensive medium early on, just so that the drive gets used. Otherwise developers would naturally squeeze everything onto DVD which is cheaper.

7. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

what they could do is put a piece of code in the ps3 so it will only read games off a bluray disk. they will say its to stop piracy but really it is to make developers use blu ray discs. not saying thats happening but it could

8. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

bah...whether or not sony truly "needs" BluRay for games now is beside the point. who cares if it's just a marketting scheme if the games still cost the same amount to you? Anyway...just because all your games today fit on 1 DVD doesn't mean it'll be that way forever. Games have moved from floppies to multiple floppies to cd's to multiple cd's to DVD's -- each of those representing a several-fold increase in capacity.

whether sony games on Blu-Ray disks today are just "uncompressed and bloated" doesn't mean that in 5 years there won't be compressed, efficient games filling up 35GB. It'll be a few years before game coding for the 360 and the PS3 is mature anyway...before they are using the full potential of either machine. Sure, both might look 'as good as can be' now with a game that fits on a DVD....but games get better with time, and probably end up having more features that take up more space. At that point, the question is, which would you rather have: A system that can only play games from DVD's, or a system that has the option of going to a higher capacity medium?

Tags: Add Tags