1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding blue l.e.d question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Digital Fodder, 14 Mar 2003.

1. Digital Fodder

Digital Fodder What's a Dremel?

hi, been looking at replacing that stupid green l.e.d in my pioneer 106-S DVD-ROM drive with a blue one. Problem is i don't know how to go about it. I'be heard people's drives diing after a few weeks / days because of modding it.

Basiclly do i need a specific l.e.d (obvisouly the same voltage as the last) some thing that i might miss? As you can tell im no electronics guru. So please go light :rolleyes:

modding it shouldn't be to hard, but if there are any guides about then please point to them. Thanks.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I have the Pioneer DVD-103, and I just used a maplin 5v LED (JA22Y) works fine...

The best way is to put a multimeter accross the green LED and read the voltage, then you can get a blue LED that is as close to it as possible.

3. Digital Fodder

Digital Fodder What's a Dremel?

i got a multimeter i fink :idea:

4. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Actually the output to the LED on most drives is a self sinking circuit, and will cover LED's up to 5 V most times, or as low as 1.5 without overcurrenting them. But to be on the safe side, be careful... The voltage will change across the LED to whatever value LED you use, the LED will not conform to the voltage of the circuit, the circuit has to compensate for the voltage drop across the LED.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The LED in my DVD was hella bright on the 5v test line at work, its slightly dimmer in the drive but stilly quite crazy.