1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Blue LED's on cheap stuff - Why

Discussion in 'General' started by sjamppo, 5 Jan 2013.

1. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Heh, the last one is so true. My girlfriend bought me a digital photo frame for Christmas that has a wall adaptor with a blue LED you can probably see from space. I am going to have to cover that up with electrical tape me thinks.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

True, I was thinking about professional white LEDs.

Don't post whilst writing a EE report!

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The blue LEDs in my Ducky Shine 2 are eye-searingly bright at 100%.

But I love them dearly.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Blooo

/nubz

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I see they do a tenkeyless version,oh joy. But do I need another mech keyboard?

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its cause they want everyone to support man city mwahaha

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

ISTR when they first came out in the mid 90s, blue LEDs were 10-20 times the cost of red, yellow, or green.
    Therefore, blue LEDs were classy because they were expensive.
    The news that we're over them doesn't seem to have filtered down to manufacturers yet.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I prefer having my LED colours match instead of my room looking like the cockpit of the Nostromo(red and orange lights everywhere)

9. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

i was always under the impression that blue LED's were both the rarest and most expensive VS red/green LEDs. When i done a Borderlands Psycho mask last halloween (http://www.bigcdesigns.com/?p=129) i needed 6 blue LED's for the mask. not only did my local Maplin (central Newcastle) only have 1 blue LED in stock , when they did get them in it cost me loads more than their red/green counterparts. Was a total pain in the arse to get them, but there was literally hundreds of packs of greens, reds, whites, oranges and RGB's, yet no blues!

So on this note, ive no idea why the influx or blue LED's in cheap stuff, i'd have thought they'd stick to red or green to keep costs down/easier to source.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd rather have a mix of the more subtly-bright red, orange and green than most devices having eye-searingly-bright bl00 LED's. My Corsair case has a white one which is nice, although they've gone to the trouble of making it dimmed to a nice level.

I have a Samsung SM monitor and that not only has a hugely bright light, it also flashes all the time when on standby. :(

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I do wonder whether the blue LEDs in some of the cheaper stuff just use filters, because they do seem to be about 3x the price of other colours in most places.

Are dimmable LED a different thing or are all LEDs dimmable by design?

12. sjamppo

sjamppo Minimodder

Yes. There has been a time in my life where all things were being held together with gaffertape. My life has changed, things got replaced, but have gaffertape until they fall apart. There's gaffer on my:
    DVB-T antenna ( bright blue led, always on ),
    Externa HDD case ( bright blue led, always on, as it is attached to the TV),
    Black-n-Decker dustbuster ( bright blue led when on charger, and it sits there 23,5 hours a day)
    Braun Razor ( bright blue led when charging, and it sits there 23,5 hours a day)
    El-cheapo humidifier ( bright blue led that lights up the water bowl if it weren't for the gaffertape)

I didn't find a way to put gaffer on the inside (!) of my El-cheapo waterkettle, since this is only on when actually boiling water. I won't put gaffer on my car keys *yet*.

The Razor hasn't got gaffer, but a bandaid. Bathroom + Gaffer =/= mix

13. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

got a logitech ipod dock at home, and although thats a green LED, its still been gaffertaped as it lights the room when i go to bed!

14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

My LG monitor has it's power LED disabled. It's the power light on my Raven that lights up my room at night. One day I'll get around to putting an on/off switch for them into my case.

15. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I've had a pair of Creative T20 speakers for, must be six years now. For five years, eleven months and twenty eight days there's been black electrical tape over the LED with a tiny pin hole in it just enough so you can still see the LED to know where they're on but you don't need a NASA sunvisor to be in the vicinity of it.

More annoying that that though is the buzzing from my monitor. If you sleep the computer but leave it connected it buzzes for about one second then silence for two or three unless you actually turn the monitor off. Doing it that way, it'll be buzzing in the morning but at least it's not when I'm trying to sleep.

Someone should make a website for products that let you know what they're like to have in a bedroom at night.

16. sjamppo

sjamppo Minimodder

Someone should make a website for products that can also be used as a nightlight/bedlights, so we know in advance not to buy them.

This could just be a USB charger plugged in at the bedside table:

[​IMG]
    ( but no, it's not. it has no other function than to illuminate the bed.. crazy people. We have a dustbuster to do that.. or a razor.. or a charger )

http://craziestgadgets.com/2008/06/07/under-bed-light-for-your-inner-pimp/

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I seem to remember some years back they couldn't make blue LEDs, so when they finally managed the job they got put on all the expensive appliances, and gradually all the cheaper ones have added them too. Probably to add a bit of bling and because they are concidered cool.

That my idea anyways.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They were developed much later than the lower-frequency spectra LED's, yes, so the cost until a few years ago was very high. Now they've got into mass production, along with new ways to produce them, they've got a lot cheaper. Somehow they still have this aura of being new and sleek though.

Cabe: I did exactly the same with my Creative T40's, although cutting a perfectly circular bit of electrical tape to cover it was a real ballache.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's kind of what happened.

In the olden days (before some of you guys were born), LEDs came in three colours: red (the first to be produced, and the easiest), yellow and green. Red was cheapest; yellow and green slightly more expensive. They were also less bright and needed a slightly higher operating voltage.

As technology improved we got orange LEDs as well, and eventually 'true green' LEDs that were really deep green, not kind of washed out edging towards yellow. This was back in the Eighties.

I still remember the big fuss made by electronics magazines when that holy grail of the blue LED was achieved. This was around 1990. It was light blue, not very bright, hugely expensive (like, a couple of quid) and required a decent 3-5V to run. I remember standing in an electronics store which had one on display, a small crowd gathered around it in awe as if it was St. Elmo's fire. It was blue. Not green-blue, not cyan, but an unmistakeable light blue.

Since then white LEDs have come onto the market, and around 2000, even purple LEDs were quite the thing for a while. As technology has moved on, they have become brighter, deeper in colour, cheaper and more stable --although really cheap white ones still tend to betray their ancestry and decay to light blue.

Basically, once was a time that blue LEDs were associated with exclusivity and expensiveness. You found them (sparsely) used in high-end HiFi equipment for a while. Now however they are cheap and every trashy manufacturer uses them and they've become kitch. Ironically a subdued green or red are the new norm in taste and exclusivity, and occasionally white --as long as it is not bright.

Fizzban likes this.
  20. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've been told (and I think it's true from my experience) that blue light can screw up your sleeping because the frequency makes your body think it's daylight even at low intensity.

I saw 100 watt white LEDs on eBay the other night. they need something like 25 VDC to drive them (at 4-5 amps) :eek: