1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding blue ring lit power button? who posted about one

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Seth, 6 Aug 2002.

1. Randland

Randland What's a Dremel?

:worried: Conspiracies theories abound :worried:

2. linear

linear Minimodder

OK, for benefit of Eimod and robbie123, I'm locking this thread until staff can get together and sort everything out.

Additionally, both accounts are suspended until I'm satisfied as to what's happening. rob@eimods, feel free to email me directly: linear@linear1.org

3. linear

linear Minimodder

For slagging off BiT-Tech in [H]:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=351966&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

For pretending not to be Rob at [H]:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=465417&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

For insulting the readers intelligence (as well as mine) on BiT:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13427&pagenumber=3

And for further insulting my intelligence by sending me an email asking me to believe that robbie123 is some hacker that cracked into your server,

You are banned. That means both the accounts you opened.

4. linear

linear Minimodder

OK, this thread is back open for business.

I don't really care for comments on the banning tho, let's talk about switches that light up.

5. Allistar

Allistar What's a Dremel?

What bugs me is that I had emailed him yesterday for help regarding an un-modified version of his switch. While he did help, what he did on the boards is pretty stupid. (If those 2 posters were actually him.) :grr:

(All he changes is the way wires connect to it. The actual manufacturer of these switches have a blue version. As well as an amber.)

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Switches/Illuminated.html

http://www.bulgin.co.uk is the actual distributor / manufacturer of these lovely switches.

Here's a pic of mine, being used as a HD activity LED. I'm defragging. :hehe:

[​IMG]

The actual switch part is doing nothing. I'm interested in the digital toggle switch thing that eimod is making, but nothing more.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Aug 2002
  6. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Linear, please clarify for me what happened, because I preordered two of those switches and need to know if I should continue with this order.

Did the person running EIMods do anything immoral on these boards? Or was this some idiot not related to EIMods just screwing around?

7. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

errrm did you get that blue one directly from bulgin or from eimod?
    i'd also, since you're here, like to know whether it looks an easyish mod to change the led colour because the mcd rating bulgin specify if you buy the blue ones isn't too appealing :grr: but i certainly won't be buying from eimod

cheers

Alaric.

8. Allistar

If he did do these things, you can always refer to the manufacturer's distributor list for the US:

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/HTMLDocs/Distrib-Inter_4.html

9. Allistar

As far as I know, you can't change the LED color. Bulgin lists Amber, Green, Red and Blue as the different colors available. And it is a very nice blue.

I got it directly from Bulgin as a sample. I could not find it anywhere listed on any of the US distributors list.

And what do you mean it isn't too appealing, the blue? :confused: The flash makes the light seem ALOT less bright, but believe me. Day or night, this thing is bright. (Rhyme. :D)

I may look into buying about 10-20 of these if bulgin's prices are alot lower than eimod's and sell them for alot cheaper too. I can't see companies paying $20 per switch like Eimod is wanting.

http://www.newark.com/search/search...ord=&advancedSearch.x=202&advancedSearch.y=13 has the red and green. But I'm still wondering how much of that $17 is profit. I've just emailed bulgin regarding wholesale prices.

10. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

You'd need a wholesale license, and buy a boatload. I found a company that has them, but for 80 a pop in single quantity.

I may have found another company that has them. but they had already closed.

11. Allistar

I have a Texas state tax license. Not sure if it allow me to get wholesale prices though, as they're in the UK..

12. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

bulgin list the mcd rating of the blue versions as 20mcd... which isn't desperately bright :blah:

i'll have to consider it if it is bright then :)

cheers

Alaric.

13. linear

linear Minimodder

The short story, the guy was registered as robbie123, here, at [H], and at at least one other forum. Here he used the email rob@eimod.com, and here he introduced himself in his first post as "Rob from eimod."

Then right here in this very thread, he started acting as if he were just a random bozo interested in blue Bulgin switches. Hell, we don't even have a rule against vendors here, but that crap annoys me greatly. I find it insulting, to my intelligence and yours. Searching for all posts by robbie123 shows 8 posts about the blue Bulgin switches at eimod.

When he registered as eimod, I suspended both accounts and invited him to explain himself. He did, less than an hour after that I got an email that said someone hacked his server and posted all that posing as him.

Puh-leeze. :rolleyes:

So then macro pointed out that this was the same gomer who started a thread at [H] in March insulting BiT-Tech's articles. Some of the highlights:
    Now, this isn't the kind of place where we ban people all the time. Quite the opposite. But I won't stand for that noise. Honestly I had forgotten all about the stupidity on [H], and it doesn't matter.

So Shadowspawn, the immorality of it (as I see it) was acting in a manner that insulted the intelligence of everyone here.

Now as far as the business transaction side of it goes, irrespective of this unpleasantness, I would personally be pretty nervous about the 8 week lead time he's talking about. I do think the price he's asking is pretty fair though, I haven't even seen the blue in the US, the red or greens are $17.50 plus shipping. But I can't help but wonder if the price is low for a reason.

And if I were to believe his crap story about his server being hacked, I'd be even less comfortable doing business with him.

Allistar, keep us posted on any replies you get from Bulgin. :D

14. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

He also managed to pimp eimod in his anti-BiT rantings on [H] :rolleyes:

ditto - i think i forgot to say that :)

15. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

Here is a thought that I had on the lighted switches, it may not be as fancy but would be cheaper and simpler I imagine. Go get a nice switch like GOO had in his LL. Then cut out a larger hole for the switch ala Macro's rheobus, install the switch in some plexi and light the plexi using some leds. Then just mount the plexi to the back of the case. The way I think of it would still give you your ring of light, maybe just not as fancy I suppose.

Iamgoodyy

16. CrazyJester

CrazyJester What's a Dremel?

17. linear

linear Minimodder

Alistar's right, they do make it in blue.

I was looking at the datasheets on Bulgin.de, and they list a much higher current rating for the switch, I'm actually really surprised at the 50mA rating. (25mA for some models.)

18. Allistar

For anyone interested: I'm not using a resistor, and it doesn't seem to matter. 'Rob' himself as well as another guy who got this switch from bulgin used 4-5 volts without problems.

And 20mcd still strikes me as a really low brightness. But maybe it's correct, and the light pipe thing is just diffusing the light to make it seem brighter.

Also, I have two docs. One from bulgin.co.uk themselves, and one that was linked here, on newark.

The bulgin doc says 50mA, 24V DC contact rating

The newark one says 50mA, 24V AC contact rating

Probably just a typo though..

Something like this shouldn't be too expensive, should it?

http://www.visonic.com:8080/visintl...B649EEE974C11000C2256496002E43BE?OpenDocument

Supposedly it turns momentary switches into SPST or SPDT ones.

Would it work for this switch?

19. TrumpetSteve

TrumpetSteve What's a Dremel?

so has anybody found any distributors for these switches (in blue of course) in the US?

I just emailed Allied Electronics, which happens to be about 4 miles from my house (who knew). Hopefully I can talk them into carrying the blue ones. Its worth a try :)

I was gonna get one from eimod till I read all the stuff that Rob said about bit-tech in [H] :miffed:

20. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Thanks for the info Linear.

Hacked or not, I don't feel comfortable working with him now...would rather save the money.