1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Blue screen for installing 4th gig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nicb, 13 Nov 2008.

1. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

First off I would like to say as a new member, I have been reading this site for over a month now. With all the great reviews and mature members I have a lot of love for this site.

My computer specs should be at the bottom of this post if I did it right.

I have just attempted to install two new Ultra 6400 800mhz with my other two making 4 gigs in total. I have purchased this brand for over six years from www.tigerdirect.com and have had no problems and stand by them.

Ok my problem. I get a blue screen when I boot up to XP or Ubuntu 8.10 I understand that XP Pro 32 only uses 4 gigs and my Video card will use 512mb of space. But I understand from other post that it can still use around 512 of the 4th module.

It works with 3 gigs. And I have tested both new sticks by changing them out in dimm 2 and rebooting. So no bad sticks purchased here.

Please view my picture album. :geek: I have snap shots of the blue screen and the specs with CPUZ. If you notice my "older" sticks in dimm slot 1 & 3 are made from different manufacturers, hu? But I never had a problem with them in dual channel mode. Now that I have added a third stick of ram in there my "older" stick in dimm slot 3 has a 3rd set of specs on CPUZ and have changed. Whats with that?

I've been building my own computers for 16 years. In the last few years my computers are near problem free. But I have never messed with ram, just slapped them in! I have only over clocked my CPUs and Video Cards by 3% to7% I'm ready to absorb some info on memory manipulation.
    I want that 4th stick in there even if I can only use half of it or so.

I do a lot of multitasking, Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, internet, music, etc. More ram the better, I do use it all.

I guess my questions are:

What do I need to do to get the 4th stick to work?

Can I still dual channel with 4 sticks? or 3 sticks with 2 in dual channel?

Whats with the ram in dimm slot 3 with the specs changing when I add the 3rd stick?

Thanks guys, proud to be a member! :clap:

E2200 / MSI P6N Diamond 680i / XFX Geforce 8600 GT 512 / Ultra Ram 800mhz 3-4gigs / 1.6 TB of Storage / Dual Boot Win XP Pro & Ubuntu 8.10

Last edited: 13 Nov 2008
  2. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Welcome to the forums.

Righty, a few things you could try, firstly iirc (correct me if I'm wrong) you can use the same key code for both 32 and 64 bit XP, so might be an idea (if you can) to install XP 64. 64 bit is better anyway.

What voltage is the ram currently set at? You might want to try is bumping it up slightly (be very careful as you can damage it if you put it too high.)

Lastly, as for the specs changing I have no idea what could be causing that, I'm assuming it must just be a small bug in CPU-Z

3. Nicb

Well my next build will have 64bit. This computers main drive has 80GBs of programs on it and runs perfectly. Hate to mess up a good thing over one more stick of ram, and it would take days to reinstall. Oh and the programs I use cant do with out.

Voltage! Last night I wanted to amp up the voltage from 1.8 to 2.1v. But in the Bios it was greyed out and would not let me change the settings. Is there a way to unlock that, or do it another way? My MB is a MSI P6N Diamond 680i with Bios updated a few weeks ago.

Guys remember to view my pics on my profile for the details.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I definitely think the answer lays in finding a way to manually enter the settings for your ram in the bios.

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The 0x8E bluescreen is KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794023.aspx

MSDN suggests these for exaple:

Also:

I'll correct you, that's wrong. XP64 is based on the kernel of Server 2003 so it has more in common with that one than XP. And only XP64 keys can be used with XP64.

However, with Vista it would work, Vista keys can be used on both bit discs.

6. Nicb

Kenco_uk, I think your right. Today a flash went off in my head and figured out that since I have MSI Dual Core Center installed to control my settings is the reason I cannot change them in my Bios. (Check the new photo in my profile album)

When it comes to memory it does not allow you to get specific with ram but it does let you amp up the voltage. So what I did this morning before I left home was turn up the voltage from 1.90v(default) to 1.95v and it WORKED,.... for a while. I got into windows for for about 5 minutes before it went blue screen on me. Which told me if I just amp up the voltage on the ram and motherboard I can stabilize it.

So I'm back home and it would be good to know how to properly before I try this again; Q.

What is the proper amp up for the motherboard in correlation to the ram. For example I'm sure 1.95v is not the final setting so next would be 2.00v. For every .05v increase of ram how much for the motherboard?

Whats VCore and MCH on the motherboard? Which one do I amp up or both in MSI Dual Core Center? (Check th picture in my album)

Thanks again guys for this help.

Ps. Oh and 64 I'm just not ready. I have a laptop with Vista for work. I dont like Vista that much even with SP1. Really just waiting for Win 7 64 before I go all out on a new build and commit. I will probably have these 3 desktops for another 2 to 3 years just the way they are with XP Pro. XP runs blazing fast with this modest rig and has very expensive important programs.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd just amp up the ram. Leave the cpu/mch be.

8. Nicb

Guys I got a big scare last night.
    When I got back I decided to go ahead and let nTune tweak the settings just curious to see what it could do. So I clicked on Tune system and started a 20 minute run. It set my video card from 2500mhz to 2850mhz, when it went to 3000mhz it had to reboot. When it tried to set the CPU fsb from 200 to 207 it rebooted. (I have personaly ran it 20x that amount successfully. It decided to keep it at 200 on the next start up. But when tried to fine tune my Ram,.... it was all over the board on trying to find the settings for the 3gb ram I had in there. It finally blue screened and rebooted. Yet this time it was unable to load into windows and gave me the famous "CMOS Checksum Bad". Ever time I started.

It took all night and today to get my computer back. Resetting the CMOS, Changing the battery, testing all my ram and CPU, Took my hard drives out tested them and backed up what I had not before the incident just to be safe. Read about all the scary CMOS Checksum Bad horror stories on the internet and how they never recovered or bought new chips or MBs.

So after so many Safe default reboots in the Bios and alterations I decided to do a repair with my XP CD. I have all my Bios settings written down on paper, so I adjusted that, and manually configured my ram in Bios. I placed in the XP CD and at the point where I could "PRESS ANY BUTTON" to boot from CD,.....I decided not to. And it went to my dual boot page and I choose windows to load, and it said this cd can recover memory bla bla problem. I cant remember what it was I was to excited. I pressed a button and it instantly booted back into windows as if nothing happened.

I have Xp install CD thats cooked up with all the latest hotfixes and service packs, but I had no Idea what I did to make it be able to do that. This is a first for me.

Everything is ok, I have everything at its usual settings running great with 3gb ram.

Has anybody ever had problems with nTune like I did??

Should I give up on the 4th gb or bump up JUST the voltage like kenco_uk has said?