1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Blue Screens - Possibly OC/Cooling/PSU, not sure.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adzc1987, 1 Nov 2011.

1. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

haha, good plan, that makes sense, ill try that at the weekend, i can actually take the side the mobo on down so it will be completly ventaliated.

Then we can see what happens :)

2. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

OK have now done some more testing with the case cover off, temps have reduced slightly, however there is some other behaviour. Running prime 95 blend test

1st test - watched it for 3 mins, temps seemed lower, peaked at about 78, so i thought ill leave this 10mins and check. Came back to find it had blue screened again. (sorry didnt think to get a copy....)

2nd test - This time i turned on some logging on the temperatures, however after a few mins one of the workers (worker 1) reported an error [temps in link below] -
    Code:
    [Thu Nov 17 15:39:03 2011]
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    Didnt bother attaching the file as this all it said, cannot locate the 'stress.txt file'.

3rd test - This time worker 1 For CPU#0 didnt complete a single test after 9 mins. See Test 3 along with each worker window, again worker 1 shows weird behaviour?

Anyone shine any light on what all this means?

Results found here

3. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Blue Screened today on non OC, win32.sys was the issue, i think something really wrong with CPU. Think ill need to return.

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Persistent CPU errors that don't outright cause crashes could be causing incorrect writes to your drive. So yes; Return it. So long as they still cover you: Don't fiddle with it. Explain the fault, the symptoms, then tell them exactly what you are doing when it crashes. That way they can test and see if it is the hardware, or something else.

5. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Hey, not had much time doing all this.

I rechecked when i bought it and it was actually free OC :blush:

So its been working fine the past few months, should i return it? Or just OC myself and pull it back a little?

Im not sure i can be hassled with a return tbh.

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I have had very similar issue with my Scan OC bundle, got some good advice from these forums.

Personally after my experience, I would not buy another pre OC'd bundle again. It seems like a nice idea, a prebuilt, guaranteed and tested OC from the 'experts' but it's been a pain from beginning to end. I am left with the option now of returning it for a second time or altering the OC myself to make it stable, but destroying the scan warranty in the process.

Next time, I will just buy the parts, assemble it myself and OC it 2 years later, when it's getting older and the much better 3 year Intel warranty is 2/3 of the way used.

Honestly for the performance difference I have seen in most games, it's not worth the increase in temps, or the degradation in the life span of the chip or warranty for that matter.