1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Books based on games: Halo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 Apr 2010.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Ah, thank you chaps, didn't want to buy one, start reading it to find i've got book 2, instead of one, thus missing part of the story.

Sam

2. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I have never read the HALO books, but played the games since the first xbox and PC. I would be interested in a HALO movie.

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I was thinking about buying the book based on Baldur's Gate. But apparently it's rubbish, so I got some other Forgotten Realms books instead.

4. interzen

interzen Real men use chainsaws.

Shouldn't be too hard - I'm pretty sure it's still in print. Don't waste your money on "Ringworld Throne" though. In fact, with that notable exception, pretty much all of Larry Niven's 'Known Space' books are good, old-fashioned hard sci-fi.

5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

read all the halo books, light and easy to get through in 1 or 2 days. All good books. "the flood" is a play by play of the first game, but does clue in some interesting back ground. Like the fact that the marines actually setup a base on the ring world and that they had managed to commandeer a covenant ship before blowing it up when they realized it was infected with the flood.
    Fall of reach was good and ghost of onyx kinda went off the deep end plot wise but was still good. Have they release another one yet?

6. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

Fall of Reach was pretty good, was surprised how well it was written actually (although i listened to the audiobook), really liked it although played Halo maybe few times on my mates Xbox.
    The Flood (2nd one i believe) wasn't that engaging for me, i think because Master Chief's character differed a lot from the Fall of reach's MC.
    If you like military sci-fi in vein of Starship Troopers, COBRA series (by Timothy Zahn) or Dorsai novels you will love Fall of Reach.

7. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Yep, Contact Harvest, read it a while ago, covers the first battles with the Covenant from Staff Sargent Avery Johnson's perspective.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nice, Sargent Johnson, the guy who can never die. i'll have to look into this book.

9. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

Might have to look into this series...
    I recently read through the first Mass Effect novel, wasn't a bad read but did start out a little shaky at first.

On the topic of novelisations, I would highly recommend the Resident Evil series to anyone who has even a passing interest in the games pre-RE4, very well written (though you can skip "Caliban Cove" and "Underworld" which were original novels and kinda sucked).

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Thanks for the tip, RE is one of my favorite series, wasn't sure if I should go for the books tho :D :thumb:

11. Neophyte4Life

Neophyte4Life What's a Dremel?

Tom Clancy's End War. Very short but it made a long car bearable.

12. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

I agree. I didn't expect a novelisation of a game to be very good but read the first four books and was very impressed. The Halo storyline has amazing scope and some well developed characters.
    A well produced movie would be excellent.

13. RSDeuce

RSDeuce What's a Dremel?

I got emailed the books in PDF form back when I was working a pretty boring job and read them all. I can vouch that they were freaking great books. I have played the games and enjoyed them... But the first books are of a quality that I just didn't expect. The Fall of Reach would have been HUGE in the SCI-FI community if it was a standalone novel. Top notch.

They were good enough that I own the print versions now, had to buy them after that.

All that said, I haven't read past Ghosts of Onyx, and I concur with previous posters that The Flood was mostly a waste of time (it is just a mirror of the game with very little new stuff added.)

14. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

I never played the games on Xbox only the original PC game and tbh they seem overrated, but I really enjoyed the novels. The Fall of Reach and First Strike were good. I didn't really care for the one in between, but Ghosts of Onyx wasn't bad. I lent them to a friend...now if I could only get them back

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've read Fall of Reach and The Flood some time ago and have a few others on my massive pile of 'to read' books.

Really enjoyed Fall of Reach, was an excellent prequel novel giving loads of background information.

The Flood I didn't like so much, it was essentially two stories, that of Master Chief and that of everyone else. I liked reading about what everyone else was doing while you were running around as MC. But the MC parts were just plain boring IMO as it was literally just the game in book form without anything really added.

I've also read the first Diablo book some time ago, I found that quite an enjoyable read.

Tags: Add Tags